BandLab Technologies reveals new brand vision for Cakewalk

cclarry

There will be one more update to CbB and people can continue to use it as long as they want.  It just won't be supported forever.

What would be considered a fair price for the new Cakewalk Sonar?  $49?  $99?  Who knows what instruments / content will be added?

Cakewalk Next will be interesting to watch.  It would to differentiate itself from the crowd.  The world doesn't need another new conventional DAW. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna take a stab here and think not much will change.  It could be Bandlab now has the rights to call it Sonar.  Something that was free turns into something paid for isn't going to be accepted.

How many of us know how big Bandlab really is?  We are just a small part of it.  I guess their phone app is big overseas and it's free.  But I'm pretty ignorant about the whole organization.   Maybe they will do what Reason and Tracktion does and rely on selling sound content. 

It's not a big surprise that Bandlab is going to charge for the products. But it is a tough transition for consumers who are used to getting the product free for so long (granted, I had paid for SONAR and pre-Sonar Calkwalk products even longer).

If the price is reasonable,  I'm on board. I bought version 3 of Studio One Pro back when the Gibson owned version of Cakewalk was closing its doors,  so I can always upgrade to the latest version of Studio One Pro and switch to that if I find SONAR's price too high for my liking (or they move to a subscription model). I'll simply have to assess the new SONAR when it's released. 

One thing is, I have so many unfinished Cakewalk projects that it may be easier to stick with Cakewalk/SONAR. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, kitekrazy said:

I'm gonna take a stab here and think not much will change.  It could be Bandlab now has the rights to call it Sonar.  Something that was free turns into something paid for isn't going to be accepted.

How many of us know how big Bandlab really is?  We are just a small part of it.  I guess their phone app is big overseas and it's free.  But I'm pretty ignorant about the whole organization.   Maybe they will do what Reason and Tracktion does and rely on selling sound content. 

Speaking of ignorance and not taking time to read these will be paid for apps.  Still as for pricing there are too many fish in the sea.

26 minutes ago, cclarry said:

Watch it be "subscription" LOL!!!O.o

That was my first thought. If they go that route, I'll surely move to Studio One Pro. I wish they would have given us a projected release date, even stating a range, like Q4 2023 would have been nice. 

I'm stuck a bit here. If the new Sonar has new quality instruments and effects. And is a reasonable price. Then I would give it a serious look. (but not if subscription).

I also got Studio One Artist 5 when I bought a new audio interface which I have installed but never use (or understand). If Cakewalk by Bandland is dropped in favour of the new Sonar. but still functions. If truth be told. I think it's at a level that I would not need to switch at all. But continue to use.

I already paid for a lifetime Platinum so as much as I like Sonar I'll not pay for it again (unless it is suuuuper cheap!).

I got the Cubase crossgrade when Gibson abandoned Sonar and I'm keeping my license current.

I guess it's time to put away my laziness and learn a new daw. I was postponing this 'case CbB is so nice to use.

Anyway... I also have Live v9. If I have to spend some money in another daw maybe I'll finally get the latest version of Live (that I also like but for different reasons).

I also got Studio One up to v4.5 but this One I didn't liked as much as the others I mentioned.

Edited by Sergio
  • Like 2

Anyone else completely out of patience with threads like this?

How about you all just wait and see, on features; on pricing; and my god no good deed ever goes unpunished.  "I can't believe this fully-featured product is now free! How wonderful" *record scratch* "I can't believe they have the gall to even hint that future updates might involve a transfer of funds! How dare they!"

JFC.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Sergio said:

I got the Cubase crossgrade when Gibson abandoned Sonar and I'm keeping my license current.

How is the new license scheme from Cubase v12 on in practice, is it fine? I keep my Cubase 11 on soft elicenser and didn't switch to v12 even though I'm eligible. Decided to wait and see if this new licensing system is ok or something wrong with it.

Edited by chris.r

This is going to be a hard sell. However, I think you're just shooting yourself in the foot jumping to a different paid DAW (and having to learn it) out of spite because you're mad.

Of course, if you already have some side action it would be perfectly understandable to dump this one.

I knew our little playground here to get ruined eventually once vulture capital got involved but I never expected that they would start f**king it up so soon.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

How about you all just wait and see, on features; on pricing; and my god no good deed ever goes unpunished. 

I would agree with you completely Colin, except it is Bandlab's own fault. They make this announcement with no product, pricing or even a time frame that the product will be available. Speculation and histrionics were inevitable.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, chris.r said:

How is the new license scheme from Cubase v12 on in practice, is it fine? I keep my Cubase 11 on soft elicenser and didn't switch to v12 even though I'm eligible. Decided to wait and see if this new licensing system is ok or something wrong with it.

IMO the new licensing scheme is much better. I never hated dongles, specially because they allow you to move/reinstall your purchased software at will, without worrying about activating/deactivating and formatting drives, etc. I have lost some licenses in the past because of HD failure.

But even dongles can break. With the new Steinberg licensing you can deactivate a device even if you don't have access to it.

The video bellow talks about this. And, BTW, this channel is a good source of information and news about Cubase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BTP said:

Has there ever been a free product that has been successfully turned into a paid product before?

Actually, many...

McAfee was once free. How many use it paid now?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlos Iglesias said:

The marketing people can now get to work to convince people that before they had a free product for a long time and now they are going to have to pay. These moves do not bring good news.

Have they specifically said that existing CbB users would lose what they have? They may unlock it so that authorizations are no longer needed. But no more updates...

• scook locked this topic