BandLab Technologies reveals new brand vision for Cakewalk

cclarry

23 hours ago, dee said:

everyone predicted bandlab cant keep up free for long and there you go, its the end for cakewalk sooner or later and it will be another "waves" fiasco

I don't think that is the best comparison.  Waves was already bringing revenue in with a paid product when they thought they could make even more money by switching from perpetual licenses to subscriptions. Bandlab purchased the assets of Cakewalk from Gibson.  Bandlab has not been charging for the product the entire time since they purchased Cakewalk's assets. They've been subsidizing the cost of the product and now they need to charge something for the product. I'm not sure what universe people live in where they find that problematic -- it' simply the way capitalism works. Bandlab, or any business, can't be expected to keep giving away product for free; they need to find a source of revenue, and even more, a means to stay profitable. And if anyone likes this company's products, they should want it to stick around, and that's going to mean the company needs to start making money. I've paid thousands to Cakewalk (12 Tone?) over the years, a company that has since been dissolved, but I've never paid a cent  to Bandlab. People blaming the company that bought Cakewalk's intellectual property (assets) after the company was dissolved  -- they're not the same company. Bandlab is the company that gave us what was, in effect, Sonar for 5 years, completely free.

To those who say they're going to assess the paid Sonar against the competition,  that's completely reasonable.  That's what a company expects you to do. Someone made a very good analogy that expecting Bandlab to give you something for a deal you did with Gibson is like going to the new owner of a house to complain about something that occured with the prior owner. It defies logic. Just move on. 

When Bandlab introduces the new SONAR, each of us should assess it against other DAWs. That's entirely reasonable. But being angry because of Gibson's offer from more than half a decade ago that didn't pan out because of the since dissolved company's poor financial situation  or being angry because Bandlab is now asking for money instead of giving you free product in perpetuity, well that's just not realistic and there is no ethical case that can be justified for that illogical position. Bandlab is a business and they need to bring in revenue (and eventually make a profit) to survive. IMO, Bandlab has been very generous and the venom some have is very misplaced. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

But I don't care about nunna that.. this new orange shade is bu11$#!t

LOL... when I pulled up the forum on my phone earlier today I went immediately into display settings to try to see what was wrong! Lowering contrast isn't good for readability. I didn't know what was up till I spotted this thread.

• Like 1

That orange actually looks pretty good here, on a dark-themed browser, on an actual monitor. I don't know how you guys can do anything on a friggin' phone. I tried that a couple times while killing time in a doctor's waiting room. That lasted about 2 minutes before I looked around and found a two-year-old copy of Time magazine. Since then I take a book with me.

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, dee said:

...its the end for cakewalk sooner or later and it will be another "waves" fiasco

Preach, brother.

I remember when Waves gave away their products for free, then after five years started demanding money for them. Um, wait. I may be mis-remembering a few details. Cannabis:  it's nature's preview of dementia.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

Yeah, I'm in the same frame of mind. I think this is going to be really interesting. Very curious to know what the new Sonar will offer and what Next will be like. 

I don't hold BandLab responsible for the Lifetime Sub fiasco, and while I felt like a bit of a sucker after I bought one and Gibson pulled the plug, getting an actively supported Cakewalk for free all these years has been a nice way to get over it. 

If BandLab has enough confidence in these new products (and the market) that they think they can charge for them, well it makes me really curious to know what will be on offer. 

We weren’t suckers. Both sides entered the agreement in good faith. It was Gibson who did wrong but with the help of Meng and the remaining staff total disaster was averted.

This sounds more like a healthy move back into a more "sound" situation.

4 hours ago, pbognar said:

It shouldn't be a dream.  I crossgraded to Mixcraft, Studio One and Cubase - all with my Sonar X3 proof of purchase.  I would EXPECT at least that.

Sonar Classic will be the flagship and New Sonar will be the version "for the rest of us".

I could see New Sonar being targeted at the educational market.  Who knows, it could end up being a cross-platform take on GarageBand.

Yes. Ordinarily I might agree, but dealing with a defunct company and now a new company remarketing. They didn’t take over Cakewalk. The bought intellectual rights to a dead product/company. Everyone invested lost everything then.

Anything we've gotten since are new things based on that technology, but not that company .

But on a positive note, I am hoping they offer some kind of value for people who have helped support getting them here.

If we hadn’t all embraced CbB I doubt it would have continued. It would have fallen by the wayside. So I see this more as a long worked recovery finally coming to term.

4 hours ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Not seeing another penny from me unless they make good on basic Platinum lifetime access first. It's the right thing to do if they want to keep good-will. I don't recall what I paid for being in any way contingent on Gibson existing as parent.

You’re confusing two different companies. You’ve never paid Bandlab one cent for CbB

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

I want to see  this new Sonar high resolution display.

I could send you a screenshot, but it would be the same resolution as my 2560x1080 monitor. I'm told it looks pretty good.

OK, here ya go...snipped from the About Box. 

Capture.PNG.52047842b7d2a6e1e5d7c6770b46a954.PNG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Keni said:

You’re confusing two different companies. You’ve never paid Bandlab one cent for CbB

Without all the money "we" spent on Sonar to get it to the mature product it was, bandlab wouldn't have a product to aquire.  And the short lived lifetime update purchases I have to imagine added value to to business beyond the minor development work during that period.  

I appreciate the dev work the bandlab team has done over the last 5 years but the product is by and large more similar than it is dissimilar.  

Hoping the pricing model is a non issue when they announce it.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

My take is that Bandlab offered a free product for 5 years to maintain a paying customer base and offered outstanding product improvement, support and OS upgrades. It was generous and worth the effort to keep a great program operational in hopes to have it payoff in the future. It is the best DAW available in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Without all the money "we" spent on Sonar to get it to the mature product it was, bandlab wouldn't have a product to aquire.  And the short lived lifetime update purchases I have to imagine added value to to business beyond the minor development work during that period.  

I appreciate the dev work the bandlab team has done over the last 5 years but the product is by and large more similar than it is dissimilar.  

Hoping the pricing model is a non issue when they announce it.  Time will tell.

Come on, you know the pricing model is going to be an issue for someone, even if it is free.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

I could send you a screenshot, but it would be the same resolution as my 2560x1080 monitor. I'm told it looks pretty good.

OK, here ya go...snipped from the About Box. 

Capture.PNG.52047842b7d2a6e1e5d7c6770b46a954.PNG

Okay I take back all the nice things I said about you 😆

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

What price would everyone think is reasonable then for the new Cakewalk flagship? 

What's the most you'd pay? 

Would you subscribe? 

I'm thinking about a deal where, if they pay me a monthly amount, I'll use the product. 😁

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Keni said:

The data you gave Bandlab when you registered and created an account to have access to the software is more valuable than any amount of money Bandlab could potentially charge you for a CbB license.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

• scook locked this topic