BandLab Technologies reveals new brand vision for Cakewalk

cclarry

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

One thing is, I have so many unfinished Cakewalk projects that it may be easier to stick with Cakewalk/SONAR. 

Same here.

<not to PavlovsCat> In regards to Bandlab losing business if they start charging for a free product - you do realize what a joke that statement is right?

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Same here.

<not to PavlovsCat> In regards to Bandlab losing business if they start charging for a free product - you do realize what a joke that statement is right?

Certainly not a joke.  They have every right as a company to charge for it!  I also have every right as the consumer not to pay for it!
No jokes at all!

• Like 2

OK...

Just finished reading everyone's first responses.

I did make a couple of quick replies along the way, but here's my thinking right now.

When Gibson dumped us I would gladly have paid for a new version from whoever bought us as I had been paying since the 12Tones days...

Instead... Surprise! It's free! So it's been great for years of this advantage. Now to continue it's progress changes are needed and it's going to cost. Oh well, it was nice free, but I'd have to pay someone else as well and there isn't a DAW out there that I prefer to Cakewalk/Sonar. I have an old copy of Studio One and I'm sure I could use it if forced but I'm not comfortable with their interface.... I have others and have had others. I still prefer Cakewalk and I'm thrilled that they're going to continue it's development as Sonar and not transform it into Next!

Unless their cost is ridiculous compared to industry value. I will be more than happy to go back to paying for Sonar! ...and my guess is that they might even offer some incentives for existing users to transition?

I'm sure many will think this way. I'm quite surprised when I see people speak surprise at a product going from free to paid successfully. It's one of the most tried and true methods I've ever heard of.

• Like 7
  • Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, Anxiousmofo said:

Oof.

Looking forward to them making good on the lifetime license I've already paid for.

I wish as I too bought it, but don't hold your breath. That was a product from a different company and has already long passed.

But they might offer "upgrade/crossgrade" prices for those of us who own Sonar? One can dream, yes?

2 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I paid for Cakewalk for MS DOS, Cakewalk for Windows and then for Sonar, etc.  If the quality is there and the price is within my budget, I would not mind paying again.  To be honest, I will be happy if all the malcontented entitled freeloaders drop out from the forum. 😜 

I agree that this forum has always attracted people who think everything should be free and will take any chance they can to rationalize borderline piracy. In this case though, the wounds of "lifetime subscription" never healed.  Logically that was the misstep of a totally different company, but still stings. My concern is one of pure pragmatism. I am a longtime Cakewalk user who paid for many editions.  Sonar was often innovative and were early to have features like channel strips, ARA intergration and analog emulation.  DAWs have since caught up in those areas and have always handled issues like sampling better.  A paid version of Cakewalk would have to outshine a lot of competition both paid and free.  Pro Tools is still pro tools. Logic has Mac crowd locked. Ableton and FL Studio have tight grip on EDM and hip-hop crowd, along with not exactly full DAWs like Maschine and MPC.  Reaper is also a powerful option for powerful low cost ( and some count as free) option. Not to mention the slight resurgence of hardware trackers and workstations. 

I do give Bandlab a bit of a chance because they have a large base of cakewalk and bandlab users. Unfortunately that base, particularly the bandlab base are used to free. The ones that are willing to pay likely already own other paid DAWs.

• Like 2

Looking at the new website I notice (happily) that the pictures all still look like the Cake/Sonar I love....

Honestly? I can't wait! Many other old products appear to be included so it means they will get more development (if they haven't already) and maybe we can look forward to more of them now that "the gates are open" once again. I have near everything Cakewalk ever offered. I think Rapture Pro (or whatever the last version was that combined rapture and Dimension pro) is the only item I missed and would love to see that return and develop!

Right now I'm more excited that worried as their comments have been of good vibe. We'll see how it actually rolls out.

11 minutes ago, ALC said:

Cakewalk Next supports Mac!  Rewriting a Windows DAW to support Mac is not trivial.

BandLab has been quite generous giving away such a full featured DAW all these years.

This made me think that it may be browser based or something similar. Maybe using a custom browser? Easy way to make the product compatible with multiple platforms.

Not for me though. I would love to have a mac version of Sonar (actually I do have one they tested long ago and I believe it still works in it's limited capacities as an experiment). Not that I want to work on a mac, but I use an intel mac running win10 under Bootcamp so it would be great to be able to work on either OS. I prefer the windows OS myself but I have so many friends....

1 hour ago, chris.r said:

How is the new license scheme from Cubase v12 on in practice, is it fine? I keep my Cubase 11 on soft elicenser and didn't switch to v12 even though I'm eligible. Decided to wait and see if this new licensing system is ok or something wrong with it.

Agree with @Sergio on this.  I really think the activation scheme has been a net benefit overall.

I never really cared for the dongles, though I didn't really have any problems with it.  I moved from Sonar to Cubase when Sonar went under.  

• Like 1

For those still salty about the lifetime license fiasco, do you really think Bandlab owes you this when it had nothing to do with them? They bought a dead product . Cakewalk literally folded and they purchased after that. It's like bugging a guy who lives in the house of a guy who owed you money. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dubdisciple said:

For those still salty about the lifetime license fiasco, do you really think Bandlab owes you this when it had nothing to do with them? They bought a dead product . Cakewalk literally folded and they purchased after that. It's like bugging a guy who lives in the house of a guy who owed you money. 

I'm not bugging anyone. I just said I'll not pay again for what is, essentially, the same product.

6 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

...It's like bugging a guy who lives in the house of a guy who owed you money. 

Just pay me then and I'll stop bugging you!  

(I need the money for the new SONAR...)

😜

• Haha 1

• scook locked this topic