Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

24 minutes ago, Canopus said:

I think you’re both right; it simply depends on which browser you’re using. In Chrome the logo looks good enough, but in Firefox it looks quite pixelated.

<nerdy-details>It's because BandLab in the css selector #logo used the declaration “image-rendering: crisp-edges”. Chrome says that's an invalid property value and simply ignores it, while Firefox accepts it but turns the logo into an 8-bit  experience. </nerdy-details>

Oh, well. There are bigger problems in this world right now.

Nice one!

Yeah, this is definitely a function of the forum software, so I guess the graphic is actually fine after all, but the way the forum displays it in different browsers is not great. Something for Invision to look at I'd say :) 

Edited by Lord Tim

On 6/7/2023 at 2:08 AM, flangad said:

and what would you think of such pricing model:

release different versions of the software, based on a number of monthly usage hours. example:

- if you need less than 15 hours/month of Sonar usage, it remain free (you are a very casual user)

- if you need less than 50 hours/month of sonar usage, you have to pay a "small user" price

- if you need more than 50 hours of usage/month, you are an advanced/professional  user, so you have to pay a higher price.

don't you think such model could be fair and acceptable for everyone?

You could also have another "dimension" in pricing:

- one shot subscription: you get the software with time unlimited bug corrections but no future functional updates (you have to pay another 1 shot "upgrade subscription" to go from version N to N+1 or get a pack of new major features) , community support

-Premium yearly or monthly subscription: include functionnal updates as long as you renew your subscription , community suport

- professional yearly or monthly subscription : add premium support with SLA, chat/webconferencing, if possible multilingual

so you will get a price matrix like this: (see attach file)

image.png.4ff2b959142b37865407f8b91621f585.png

It would be nearly impossible to maintain a pricing structure like this. The standard in the software industry is a price that comes with 1 year of free update (bugs, features, etc). At the end of that year, you have a choice, pay for another year of updates or don't. Regardless, you still have a working piece of software. This scenario is technically a subscription, whether you pay once a year or every month. When you decide not to pay anymore, you no longer get updates. But the software as it sits at that point in time is yours to keep using as long as you choose. You get what you paid for, no more, no less. There are very few companies that have a "pay or loose access" type of subscription model. ProTools is one of them. Adobe is another. As mentioned in an earlier post, I think the term 'subscription' is being highly misinterpreted. 

Not knowing the price point of the new products, it is hard to make an opinion if it is worth it or not. We shall see when it is announced. I would certainly pay a reasonable amount of money to keep going with it. Of course reasonable is different for everyone and everyone's need. If you are a professional studio it is quite different than someone in a bedroom studio doing it as a hobby. And that also makes a difference for subscription vs fully paid. As a hobby, there may be many times (breaks, vacation, etc) where it would feel some months subscription payment hasn't been used.

I would personally probably be interested in a third product: Cakewalk Basic! If that would be at a lower price point of course. Everything that CbB does, without any plugins or Pro Channel. We all collect plugins, some free, some paid, and have probably enough to do all we need. We also have some preferred plugins we all use that replace many if not most of the plugins in Cakewalk. I know about the saying: you can do everything with stock plugins. But the reality is that, thanks to @cclarry , we still go outside and get some plugins for free, or very cheaply, we can use instead... and probably made to think they can do better than the stock ones! Even if we know it is not often true. It might still be refreshing to see a DAW being just a DAW.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alan Tubbs said:

Next - I’m not sure what it is.  A step up from the free Bandlab software? Maybe pay.  Hopefully you can use it on the Mac so cakewalk can have an in there.

Next is a completely new DAW designed from the ground up by us over the last five years. It was developed to be cross platform and works equally well on Mac and PC with full AU and VST support.
The focus so far has been on creation centric features as opposed to the more production centric features that Sonar has.
For example, it has very intuitive lyrics entry and song arrangements, a built in sampler and pad controller which is quite powerful, allowing you to set up sampler or instrument pads. 
While Next might look visually similar to the online web based BandLab Studio that's only because we followed branding guidelines. It has full integration with the BandLab ecosystem with integrated browsing of BandLab loops as well as upload and download to the BandLab library. The product itself is quite deep and includes many of the bells and whistles Cakewalk users have come to expect, like multiprocessor support, background plugin scanning and flexible routing. Routing is very simplified and elegant in Next and can all be done via track folders (unlike Sonar). There are many more exciting features coming in future roadmaps. I'm sure in the upcoming weeks Jesse will post more information about Next.

In the interim, interested users are welcome to request beta access if you want hands-on experience with the application.

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Alan Tubbs said:

One also has to figure in how much time and cuss jar fees are involved in learning a new DAW.  If you get older such becomes a real time suck.  I can barely find time here at home to work on music.  I certainly don’t want to spend that time re-wiring my brain when I could be creating.  And at this stage of my life I can afford money over time and whatever Cake charges doesn’t touch the hardware here at home...

I hear that is a big reason for a group of oldtimers now being more active, ready to pay whatever money is needed just for keeping things like in the old days, now that would make sense. Wondering what part of the overall userbase would that be. I see a lot of the newer users, since the free Cakewalk, are already confused whether they should stay or jump onto something else, free or cheap. And that's even before any details regarding the price are given. As for me I know I won't have steady income.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 minute ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Next is a completely new DAW designed from the ground up by us over the last five years. It was developed to be cross platform and works equally well on Mac and PC with full AU and VST support.
The focus so far has been on creation centric features as opposed to the more production centric features that Sonar has.
For example, it has very intuitive lyrics entry and song arrangements, a built in sampler and pad controller which is quite powerful, allowing you to set up sampler or instrument pads. 
While Next might look visually similar to the online web based BandLab Studio that's only because we followed branding guidelines. The product itself is quite deep and includes many of the bells and whistles Cakewalk users have come to expect, like multiprocessor support, background plugin scanning and flexible routing. Routing is very simplified and elegant in Next and can all be done via track folders (unlike Sonar). There are many more exciting features coming in future roadmaps. I'm sure in the upcoming weeks Jesse will post more information about Next.

In the interim, interested users are welcome to request beta access if you want hands-on experience with the application.

This sounds exactly like I hoped it would. Great news.

Although I really like Cakewalk for traditional recording and mixing, I've never found it the most intuitive to create electronic pieces from the ground up. I tend to use Bitwig 16 track to get an idea out of my head onto the computer.

Will certainly be giving Next a try. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, scook said:

When is the ETA for the Next beta

Next beta has been active for several months in internal beta. We're now opening it up for limited public access. People who signed up should gradually get invites.
We need to load balance it so we aren't overwhelmed initially...

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, backwoods said:

noel I cant access my legacy cakewalk account to retrieve old products. foprgotten password and reset emails arent hitting my account. any ideas?

The old legacy e-mail reset was shut down 5 years ago. If you need to get any logins sorted out, shoot a message over to support@cakewalk.com and they'll sort you out.

If you mean you can't login when you previously could do, it's possible this is because of the recent server changes, and a new Command Center has been posted up for people to get their stash:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/58373-cakewalk-command-center-version-118/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, backwoods said:

noel I cant access my legacy cakewalk account to retrieve old products. foprgotten password and reset emails arent hitting my account. any ideas?

backwoods I suggest you contact BandLab support. I don't really have access to all that data. If you have a migrated SSO account they may be able to help you. Old unmigrated accounts are a different story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Milton Sica said:

I think most of us still don't realize that the relationship has completely changed.

When the programs are free/free, what is created is a participatory, collaborative community, where everyone seeks the same end, which is the constant improvement of the program.

The company, unilaterally, which is its full right, will change this relationship.

It's kind of like a marriage where the couple owns a joint business and one of them files for divorce but wants to keep the business.

The relationship changes completely. It is no longer partnership/collaboration, but consumption with completely different relationship rules where even that affectionate codename (BAKERS) no longer makes sense.

Maybe to some degree, but I’ve been working with The Bakers since back in the day of Greg H. And they have always been the most in touch team I’ve ever worked with!

It was never a partnership though we have been contributors due to the team's willingness to listen and desire to improve.

They were every bit as in touch with their user base then as they are now!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I hear this is the main reason for a group of oldtimers now being more active, ready to pay whatever money is needed just for keeping things like in the old days, now that would make sense. Wondering what part of the overall userbase would that be. I see a lot of the newer users, since the free Cakewalk, are already confused whether they should stay or jump onto something else, free or cheap. And that's even before any details regarding the price are given.

The whole point of having it free was to create new users.  Bandlab never said they were going to provide the a world class DAW for free for ever.  Yet cakewalk by Bandlab will remain free even after another update.  It should be good to go for as long as the OS updates work with it.  And Next seems a next logical step for any new users.  I’m actually stoked to see it and hope it is somewhat like P5.  I loved that software.

And the reason I use Sonar here at home is it works for me naturally.  In the early aughts I tried out the various DAWS and liked Cakewalks look and flow.  It needed to pc back then for home - couldn’t afford a Mac.  I’ve stuck with it since and thru the change to Sonar  (that was a major change in look and flow).  The only DAW I liked better was P5.

it sounds like the new Bandlab’s DAWs will have most people covered.  

• Like 1

I had been a fan of Cakewalk for over 20 years.  I had very mixed feelings about the news.  Here is what it boiled down for me.

I absolutely believe in supporting a company that makes software I enjoy using.  However, what bothers me the most is ability to go back to older projects in foreseeable future.  5-10 years from now if  "something" happens to Bandlab. The only way to insure that I will be able to do that is by having unlocked license stored locally.  The one that would not "expire" and will not require any servers to re-activate at a later time. 

To show good faith,  Bandlab should unlock last patched version of CwB, even if it will not be supported after the release of Sonar/Next.   If that is completely off the table, unlock permanently versions purchased under Gibson.

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 1

14 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

Has any representative from Bandlab actually described Sonar as such? I've seen "High DPI support" and "vector graphics" but i have not seen "scalable". Just tempering our expectations here.

Besides music, I also work with photography and graphic arts.  Vector Graphics = Scalable. They are one in the same. Raster or bitmapped graphics are not. They are a collection of dots per inch (DPI) that create an image. The larger you zoom the image, the more pixelated they get. Vector graphics use point to point calculations and draw lines between points. No matter the zoom rate, it is still a line between points. No pixelation. The new 'vector graphics' UI will mean that the interface will be clear and sharp regardless of zoom, scale or size.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

While Next might look visually similar to the online web based BandLab Studio that's only because we followed branding guidelines. It has full integration with the BandLab ecosystem with integrated browsing of BandLab loops as well as upload and download to the BandLab library. The product itself is quite deep and includes many of the bells and whistles Cakewalk users have come to expect, like multiprocessor support, background plugin scanning and flexible routing. Routing is very simplified and elegant in Next and can all be done via track folders (unlike Sonar). There are many more exciting features coming in future roadmaps. I'm sure in the upcoming weeks Jesse will post more information about Next.

Since you are describing Next as a creation environment and Sonar as a production environment, it seems that you might have a number of users who decide to do creation work in Next and move production work to another environment, such as Sonar.   Can we expect that Next will include appropriate export options?

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

Yet another idea apart from Artist, Pro and Platinum like before.

You have Sonar

- as raw as daw comes without most exclusive plugins and synths and content overall

and Sonar Suite

- with all the bling-bling

A lot of software has this approach. PowerDirector, Magix Independence etc.

And easy to target different price points.