Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

all of the whining by people

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

explained to you whiners that

1 hour ago, Byron Dickens said:

Reading comprehension  and critical thinking not your forté, is it?

This is the level of argumentation in a discussion sustained, supposedly, by adults. Ones that seem to not have the emotional control or maturity of a, well, adult.

Shouldn´t this behavior be checked by moderators? Are there moderators in this thread?

Maybe they are busy somewhere else, trying to get other things in to people´s heads. As long as "nobody messes with MY daw!", guess everything goes.

Let the display of... "wittiness"... keep on going.

• Haha 1
  • Meh 3

2 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

Not necessarily re-writing the whole thing, as the SONAR Mac prototype from ~2016 proved, but there still would have needed to be a significant amount of work involved in order to have true parity between OS versions.

Next is being built from the ground up as a cross platform app. 

I am surprised you got the code to work on MAC s M1, and M2 CPUs considering they were originally designed by Apple to run ARM code while Intel and AMD run X64 code and you got the software to run cross-platform???

Hmmm..what is the secret to your sauce to accomplish this???? Just kidding...:)😁

8 minutes ago, kc23 said:

This is the level of argumentation in a discussion sustained, supposedly, by adults. Ones that seem to not have the emotional control or maturity of a, well, adult.

Shouldn´t this behavior be checked by moderators? Are there moderators in this thread?

Maybe they are busy somewhere else, trying to get other things in to people´s heads. As long as "nobody messes with MY daw!", guess everything goes.

Since you took a very small part of my reply and chose to focus on that alone, I have nothing more to say to you.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kc23 said:

I see that reading comprehension  and critical thinking are apparently not your forté either. This is the second time you've spouted off that nonsense. Nobody has said anything about people "messing with our DAW. " We're just calling out crybabies with an entitlement mentality and their incessant sniveling about the world owing them something.

Adults don't expect that the world owes them a damn thing and adults don't pout when they don't get their way.

Edited by Byron Dickens
  • Like 5
  • Meh 2

5 minutes ago, Byron Dickens said:

Adults don't expect that the world owes them a damn thing and adults don't pout when they don't get their way.

I'm like Charlie Brown and just expect the world to cr*$ on me 🥺

My coping mechanism has been to find humor in the situation 🙃

Just saying some of U need to give it a try 🤣

I'm off to watch a movie. Oh shoot my TV says no connection! See the world is out to get me. I shall go cry me a River 😭  Nile or Mississippi?

LOL

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

2) The company that made the "lifetime updates" offer DOESN'T EXIST ANY MORE.  It was dissolved in 2017. Therefore there is no one around to honor it.

It is false, they survived:  https://www.gibson.com/en-US/

But as I said above, for those like me who had subscribed to a lifetime subscription, we should have sued Gibson for deception on the goods.

But asking Bandlab for a special price, No, I don't see how a contract with Gibson would concern Bandlab, Bandlab owes us nothing (rather, we owe Bandlab for saving our DAW).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lychee said:

But as I said above, for those like me who had subscribed to a lifetime subscription, we should have sued Gibson for deception on the goods.

You're wrong. The name of that company was
Cakewalk Incorporated. They might have been owned by Gibson, but they were their own company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

My coping mechanism has been to find humor in the situation 🙃

Just saying some of U need to give it a try 🤣 

OK. I'll  give it a try:

Maybe those who keep beating the same dead horse think its a cat and won't stop bringing up the lifetime updates issue until all of its 9-lives are dead?  🤪

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

until all of its 9-lives are dead?

That is a different cat. These guys keep closing the box and then reopening it because someone told them that a cat in a box can be alive or dead.

• Haha 2

Oh No my poor cute innocent kitties are now in danger 😢

Anyone found hurting my southern Belle shall have to deal with my evil black cat as my BIL calls her.  So maybe put some rats in the box and go join them while you're there

5 hours ago, User 905133 said:
6 hours ago, steve@baselines.com said:

It was called perpetual.  Perhaps you might look that up.

When I researched the product, I must have missed that word.  I will look again, but in the meantime I looked up "what is a perpetual license?" Here are just a few quotations I found.

In the perpetual license model, customers pay a one-time fee for the software. They are essentially purchasing the software as opposed to renting it.

Although perpetual licenses may be used forever on a particular version (or on the last version before you discontinue renewing the support contract), they have a short lifecycle and within few years eventually become obsolete, due to factors such as supported hardware and companion software.

A perpetual license is more expensive upfront, but it gives you clear ownership and is cost-effective in the long run. A subscription license is more economical on a regular basis and comes with updates and support. However, it does not give you ownership of the software.

So, what is a perpetual license? Essentially, a perpetual license is the term used to describe the traditional method of purchasing software – you pay for the license upfront, and you have the right to use the software indefinitely.

Obviously, there is a lot of info online including some lengthy user agreements for perpetual licenses.  Evidently the terms vary from company to company.

Some definitions say that a perpetual license involves a one time fee for the license v. making payments over time (renting, subscription, etc.).

I do not know the terms of the Gibson license for SONAR Platinum (with lifetime Updates).  Can you continue to use it for the rest of your life? If so, that would seem to quality as a perpetual license under the terms of some of what I found on line.

I can still use Sonar 8.5, X1, and X3 even though they have been discontinued.  (Those are the only ones I checked recently.  I might be able to use others as well.)  However, as far as I know there was never a rental option.  They still work in 2023, but I prefer to use Cakewalk by Bandlab.  If I cannot afford the upcoming Bandlab products, I have a  number of options.

Peace

Do you mean to tell us that nowhere in all that verbiage does it say "for ever and ever until the entire universe collapses in upon itself and implodes?"

The great thing about dongle is that your license is a physical product that you actually own. They're not the most convenient devices, but owning Cubase 11 on a Dongle is no different than owning an MPC One or a MacBook Pro. 

If Steinberg dies and shuts down their servers, I will still be able to simply plug it in and run the software. eLCC doesn't need their servers to validate a dongle license. I reckon iLok would work similarly. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

51 minutes ago, iNate said:

The great thing about dongle is that your license is a physical product that you actually own. They're not the most convenient devices, but owning Cubase 11 on a Dongle is no different than owning an MPC One or a MacBook Pro. 

If Steinberg dies and shuts down their servers, I will still be able to simply plug it in and run the software. eLCC doesn't need their servers to validate a dongle license. I reckon iLok would work similarly. 

A bit optimistic to think dongle lasts and works forever.

Eventually a new os version may break function, and then you are dependent on update of software drivers.

So not so independent on Steinberg at all.

On a stationary desktop computer it's not such a big deal with a dongle, but on a laptop something is sticking out.

- leaving computer means you'd better take the dongle with you

- dropping laptop on floor, may break dongle or computer as such as mb breaks.

Some solutions like Waves that can use regular memory sticks, do for my version v9.92 still, I need to go online and refresh license or you will get 20s longer project load each time, it will timeout trying to go online. Partly an effect for me being offline working in daw.