Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

6 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

BandLab has more than “paid” Henry’s debt to all of us that bought “lifetime” updates. 
(Anyone that doesn’t see that “free” updates for the “life” of any product is an unrealistic business model; well, there’s one born every minute…)

No, there´s no debt payed whatsoever.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least one daw that is doing lifetime updates, and it has been around for maybe 20 years or so, and a plugin company doing the same for the last seven or eight years or so. So, that business model is real. Anyone that doesn´t see that, well, they can´t see.

11 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

(my guess is that whatever the price you will have a 12 month payment option. Not really a “subscription”, just a time payment “plan”)

Again, no. That "12 month payment option and then no more updates" is a subscription model. After those 12 months, one will be left with a daw in the same state as what CbB will be, that is, a daw frozen in time, with no updates, no support. If one has to pay again (and again) to receive more updates and support, then it is, in fact, a subscription.

Anyone that doesn´t want to see that, is just deluding themselves.

• Great Idea 1
  • Meh 3

14 minutes ago, kc23 said:

Again, no. That "12 month payment option and then no more updates" is a subscription model. After those 12 months, one will be left with a daw in the same state as what CbB will be, that is, a daw frozen in time, with no updates, no support. If one has to pay again (and again) to receive more updates and support, then it is, in fact, a subscription.

Anyone that doesn´t want to see that, is just deluding themselves.

Or...

Buy this DAW outright for $200, free updates per version.

3 or 4 updates happen, and then a year later the next version of the DAW is released and - oh no - the one you bought is now "frozen in time with no updates."

It's semantics at the end of the day. There's really not a lot of difference between paying up front for 12 months to receive a program that won't expire, that gets updates over that time, and a buy outright program that stops getting updates the moment the next version is dropped. In Cakewalk's case, if you elect to keep your subscription, you also continue to get updates past that as well, with no need to buy a whole new version and do the "3 or 4 updates then you're SOL" dance.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Peter Graf said:

Wird es auf Antroid Plattformen weiterhin Band Lab heißen wird es auf Antroid und auch ein kostenlosen Account geben??

This product (the web-based DAW called BandLab that runs on a variety of platforms including Android) is made by a completely different group at BandLab Technologies. It has nothing to do with Cakewalk or this thread.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quinellipe Zorn said:

Re "Update the workflow in several areas where things haven't moved in years.  Other DAWs have much easier ways to do various things." - I'd love to hear what things people want in this regard.  

Off the top of my head ....

1. Proper sampler / sample based workflow

2. Chord track

3. Easier hardware integration for control surfaces etc

4. Negative offset

5. Bar zero

6. Spatial Audio Ready

7. Remote Control

8. Varispeed

9. Retrospective Midi Record

10. Scale constrain

11. MPE Supprt

12. Bounce/Renderin Place

13. Loudness Metering

14. Updated Browser

15. Scratch Pads

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 4

"2. Chord track" & "14. Updated Browser" should be considered at the same time. Minding "previews" based on Chord Track from browser.

+1

16. Updated MIDI editing.

-------------------

Chord track  had been a very popular request. Hopefully we will see that in new Sonar some time in near future.  

Having been with Cakewalk since the mid-90s, buying all the updates until  X1 and 2, but including X3, I have to say that the phrase "UI refresh" strikes dread into my heart.

I will certainly buy they're refresh if it is a reasonable price in keeping with established norms, but, again, the phrase strikes dread in my heart. Some of those Gibson updates were extremely frustrating for established users.

Edited by TK Major

There is one that I know has some DAW that frankly don't know which one is:

The ability to create multiple independent "Flows" - Versions, built into the same file.

I mean, configure your VST's and try 4-5-6 different sketches with different tempos, Time Signatures, Arrangement Sections, etc.

Very handy for the composition process. Right now I have to save each Draft as an individual separate file (Project XX v1 - Project XX v2 - Project XX v2 with horns - Project XX v3 incomplete but promising   ...   :) 

I think Sonar should come from day 1 with many interesting extra features in comparison with CbB. Otherwise, who will spend some hundreds in a program that is exactly the same as CbB but with better GUI? That can lead the users to buy Sonar just when the difference with CbB is considerable (maybe one or two years after its release).

How much time Sonar could stand being purchased by very few people, because it's almost the same as the free CbB?

Edited by MarianoGF
  • Great Idea 1

On 6/7/2023 at 1:21 PM, Lord Tim said:

The flagship product of the Cakewalk company was an application called SONAR Platinum.

I've been reading this thread for days and you're the first to note that "Sonar" is not the same as "SONAR." Thanks for saving me from having to write a pedantic post taking note of this (probably meaningless) distinction. Or is it meaningless? Perhaps we need clarification from @Meng...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andres Medina said:

The ability to create multiple independent "Flows" - Versions, built into the same file.

I mean, configure your VST's and try 4-5-6 different sketches with different tempos, Time Signatures, Arrangement Sections, etc.

Very handy for the composition process. Right now I have to save each Draft as an individual separate file (Project XX v1 - Project XX v2 - Project XX v2 with horns - Project XX v3 incomplete but promising   ...   :) 

Isn’t that what workspaces was created to do? 

I don’t use them myself so I’m not very knowledgeable on their abilities and limitations .

12 hours ago, Keni said:

Isn’t that what workspaces was created to do?

Or scratchpad... for doing drafts. I know SO has this but didn't look closely, possibly some other DAWs have it too.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Larry Jones said:

I've been reading this thread for days and you're the first to note that "Sonar" is not the same as "SONAR." Thanks for saving me from having to write a pedantic post taking note of this (probably meaningless) distinction. Or is it meaningless? Perhaps we need clarification from @Meng...

Ha! Yeah, from how I understand it, the new product line is written in mixed case: Cakewalk Sonar, Cakewalk Next.

Whereas the old pre-Bandlab stuff was suggested to be written as all caps: SONAR Platinum (a product from the Cakewalk company.)

I'm sure people will write it how they write it, but this is a good way to get a bit of distinction between each thing in threads like this at least.

20 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Ha! Yeah, from how I understand it, the new product line is written in mixed case: Cakewalk Sonar, Cakewalk Next.

Whereas the old pre-Bandlab stuff was suggested to be written as all caps: SONAR Platinum (a product from the Cakewalk company.)

I'm sure people will write it how they write it, but this is a good way to get a bit of distinction between each thing in threads like this at least.

Why mess with text at all

ngDIz1F.png

is enough

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Andres Medina said:

I think a good project manager could take care of that.

Cubase had something where you could rate with stars 1-5 among project files and such, to keep track on which state they are in. That's how I used it anyway, embryo, tracking, mixing, mastering

As I recall some ability to create own categories as well.

Embed all that stuff into one project I can sense loads of bugs ahead - different tempos in one file and such.

How many use MixRecall in Cakewalk/Sonar today?

- It has some of that altering with different versions.

- but not as deep to complete arrangements

I just sense bugs, and never used it. Stability is number one.....

Edited by Larioso

HI:) 

To overhaul the UI is very nice and definately needed, but much more important would be to overhaul the midi engine. So buggy! Everytime I work with Midi in CbB, 1 hour at the latest problems occur. Transform Tool doesn't work anymore, Tracks stop sending out midi, pasting CC Data or Midi  Data occur in other tracks than expected, and so on. 
The problems occur randomly, so they are not reproducable. No chance to give the bakers a project, cause after restarting everythings fine again until the next sit in.

Changed therefore to Reaper (for the moment), but would like to come back to my beloved Cakewalk! (More than 30 years, since Shareware 0.97) 

So let's see what the Update looks like:)

Bassman.

• Like 1