IK 25th Anniversary Group Buy!

cclarry

13 hours ago, fpoir said:

Any recommendations from among these? All the demos sound great, but any of them stand out as even better (more versatile, more extensive) than the rest?

AmpliTube Brian May
AmpliTube Jimi Hendrix Anniversary
AmpliTube Joe Satriani
AmpliTube Leslie
AmpliTube MESA/Boogie
AmpliTube Orange
AmpliTube Slash
Fender Collection
Fender Collection 2

If you don't know the differences between amps (like me, two years ago), I would get the collections to cover the major brands, each of which has its own sound.

* Fender 2, Fender: low gain, Fender clean, Fender stomps

* MESA/Boogie: high gain, but I like the TA-30 which can do Vox tones

* Orange: crunch, high gain, also a bass amp

For the other collections:

* Joe Satriani: Rockman, Marshall, Peavey (released last year)

* Brian May: Vox, stomps (released last year)

* Slash: Marshall (updated 2018)

* Jimi Hendrix: (released 2008) Fender, Marshall amps but are older so the newer collections/amps will be better, quality-wise

* Leslie: I wish I got the T-Racks version instead so I could use it as effects for other virtual instruments

Generally, the newer the release, the better the amp sim quality.

I'll be picking up the ones I don't have depending on how many freebies we end up getting, starting with Satriani, then May, then Slash.

Find out what gear the groups you like is using: https://equipboard.com/.  You might see a pattern.

For music from the 60s and 70s, it's Fender, Vox, and Marshall.

Edited by ALC
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Anxiousmofo said:

The Orange collection kicks ***** and anyone who doesn’t know what Orange amps sounds like is someone I would never buy an amp from. 

I had never tried an Orange amp before. I am not sure they where in stores here in Canada or at least didn't notice them.

My first encounter with Orange was a few months ago when IK gave away the Tiny Terror. That was truly an eye opener, or more an ear opener, for me. Love it. The Orange collection will be in my GB picks for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I had never tried an Orange amp before. I am not sure they where in stores here in Canada or at least didn't notice them.

My first encounter with Orange was a few months ago when IK gave away the Tiny Terror. That was truly an eye opener, or more an ear opener, for me. Love it. The Orange collection will be in my GB picks for sure.

they have Orange amps at Long and McQuade.

1 hour ago, ALC said:

For the other collections:

* Joe Satriani: Rockman, Marshall, Peavey (released last year)

That one is also going to be in my choices. Mainly because I owned a Rockman when they came out. I sold it when I upgraded to the rackmount Rockman Sustainer which I still have but not in working order unfortunatly.

Trivia: all the guitar tracks on the best selling album Hysteria from Def Leppard where all tracked using a Rockman direct in the console!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anxiousmofo said:

anyone who doesn’t know what Orange amps sounds like is someone I would never buy an amp from

Lets not get in a p-i-s-s-i-n-g contest here.

BUT

What is labeled and marketed as Orange these days, you think is a faithful reproduction of what was an Orange amp back in the day?

CORRECTION: From Wikipedia

The Orange Gibson Years 1993–1997

Following Mathias' death in 1989, his sons Peter and Richard continued the business until 1992 when the company was sold to amplifier enthusiast Jeff Lewis. In 1993, Gibson licensed the name to manufacture Orange Amplification. Gibson decided to have their Orange amplifiers made by Matamp in Huddersfield again in order to keep the "Made in England" identity. The first Gibson era Orange reissues released were the Graphic 120 and Overdrive 120 launching in 1994 followed by the Graphic 80 and Overdrive 80.

Sonically, there was a marked difference between these reissues and the original 1970s Pics & text heads. The capacitors fitted in the EQ section had Series Two Overdrive Head values. A small number of Orange Super Bass 120 reissues were also made based on the circuit of the 1979 Series Two Super Bass. The 1990s Orange reissues were not commercially successful and it was mutually agreed that the licence would not be renewed.

In February 1997, Gibson handed the Orange name back to Cliff Cooper.

I might actually be wrong!

t

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

For those new to IK and have never purchased anything before, the price points for the big items like AmpliTube, SampleTank, MixBox, Syntronik, MODO DRUM, and MODO BASS are $299.99.  However, once you purchase over $99.99,  then you get crossgrade pricing, which is $199.99 for those same items.  So, if you're looking to get one of those, buy something that's $199.99, then I believe that makes all those $299.99 items available as $199.99 freebies.  At least that's what makes sense to me.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

32 minutes ago, ALC said:

For those new to IK and have never purchased anything before, the price points for the big items like AmpliTube, SampleTank, MixBox, Syntronik, MODO DRUM, and MODO BASS are $299.99.  However, once you purchase over $99.99,  then you get crossgrade pricing, which is $199.99 for those same items.  So, if you're looking to get one of those, buy something that's $199.99, then I believe that makes all those $299.99 items available as $199.99 freebies.  At least that's what makes sense to me.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

IK Crossgrades are from products $99 or more...but the Crossgrade for $199 still only gets you products for $199...not $299

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cclarry said:

IK Crossgrades are from products $99 or more...but the Crossgrade for $199 still only gets you products for $199...not $299

Now that would be a nice if it was such a deal.  Yep Such A Deeeeeeeeeeeee-al :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I think what he/she means is that if you don't have anything from IK and want to get in on the $299 tier, you're better off buying something for $99 first, which would unlock the crossgrade price at $199  for most (all?) items. Then you can make a second purchase for $199 to get you the higher tier (crossgrade) freebies. In the context of the group buy, you'd gain a $99 item (plus however many freebies will come with it) by going $99 + $199 instead of $299. Provided that the crossgrade prices become available immediately after that $99 purchase, even during a group buy (I have no idea), it does make sense to do it this way. 

1 minute ago, fitzroy said:

I think what he/she means is that if you don't have anything from IK and want to get in on the $299 tier, you're better off buying something for $99 first, which would unlock the crossgrade price at $199  for most (all?) items. Then you can make a second purchase for $199 to get you the higher tier (crossgrade) freebies. In the context of the group buy, you'd gain a $99 item (plus however many freebies will come with it) by going $99 + $199 instead of $299. Provided that the crossgrade prices become available immediately after that $99 purchase, even during a group buy (I have no idea), it does make sense to do it this way. 

Still wrong.  It's based on what you've PAID, not the retail price of the product.

Buying a $99.99 product gets you in the Group Buy at $99.99 tier.  If you THEN buy a $199.99 crossgrade, that gets you in
the Group Buy AGAIN at the $199.99 tier....NOT the $299.99 tier

• Like 1

FWIW.. I am waiting for a MODO item that is in the $199 range to on sale somewhere for <= $99.  I feel IKM are going to pull some slingers as the group buy continues to hook in some more sales before end of Sept. (based on my guess that they will extend the GB to Sept 30).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cclarry said:

Still wrong.  It's based on what you've PAID, not the retail price of the product.

Buying a $99.99 product gets you in the Group Buy at $99.99 tier.  If you THEN buy a $199.99 crossgrade, that gets you in
the Group Buy AGAIN at the $199.99 tier....NOT the $299.99 tier

That $299 tier would become the $199 tier for many items (not all, for example not T-Racks 5 Deluxe) , once you make a qualifying purchase at $99. The MODO's, Sampletron, Syntronik, Amplitube, would all be in that tier. So you'd have access to them with that second $199 crossgrade purchase. 

• Like 1