Waves adding a 2nd license - Fans rejoice! (Yes, it’s irony…)

Yan Filiatrault

Many of us work on more than one computer and require license flexibility. 

Starting November 1, 2023, we will add a 2nd license for all active Waves Creative Access subscriptions—allowing subscribers to use their plugins on a separate computer without having to move licenses between devices. 

The 2nd license is for use by the owner of the main product license only (see terms & conditions). 

We will update you once the second licenses become available. 

All the best,
The Waves Team

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

F___ Waves with that ol bs!  So, people who have spent thousands are not entitled to a second license, but subscribers to the service they keep trying to force on us do?  I will use what I paid for, but will NEVER subscribe to this nonsense. This is pure okie doke.

• Like 7
  • Great Idea 1

It's announcements like this that make me glad that I've transitioned away from Waves plugins and have supported a bunch of other, (primarily small) developers with great plugins and much better policies --  developers I feel much better about supporting.

Waves, you get credit for lowering the prices for the industry and for having policies that have created a wealth of opportunities for other, more customer-focused developers (of course,  that wasn’t Waves' intention,  but that has been the outcome of their practices).  They've unintentionally inspired greater competition in the marketplace with their less than upfront and customer-unfriendly practices; they've helped lower plugin prices throughout the industry with their always on $29 USD sales to the point where there are now plenty of good, simarly priced (at least  during sales) alternatives to Waves plugins. They've even inspired some developers to offer benefits like free lifetime updates.

During Waves subscription fiasco,  some of their competitors were even bold enough to call out Waves, comparing their practices. So, it's unquestionable that Waves has had an impact just by embarking upon strategies many plugin users find less than desirable. I would say that they've squandered the opportunity the brand has had in the industry by putting profit motives too far ahead of customers' needs and wants. I really can't imagine a scenario where the Waves brand sees significant growth in the near future if the brand continues their existing strategies and tactics. Just look at threads at any forum when you see Waves mentioned to give you an idea of where their brand image is at today.   

So thanks, Waves, for doing these things to ensure that I will never need to buy another Waves plugin or bother purchasing WUP if one of my old Waves plugins stops working (with a few exceptions, like the Abbey Road line). I'll simply purchase a similar plugin from a developer with better practices and policies. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 9
  • Great Idea 1

I took Waves plugins out of my templates. I have already been caught flatfooted twice this year when updates killed my installs. I still use Rbass, rvox and others occasionally, but now GAS is becoming a hero. All the Melda, Izotope, Newfangled and IK bundles seem less wasted now.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Since my Waves licenses are on a "dongle" I can use Waves plugins on as many computers I like, just not at the same time. 😉

WUP that @Fleer 🙂  

Until you lose it or it break it and I wonder if you don't have WUP if they would even reset for you (yes I'm sure you in particular have WUP)

PA gives the same option with three USB sticks at a time.  

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

11 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

I wish I had spent my money on hardware instead.

I transitioned to this in the past year, very few software purchases, except ones, I plan to actually get used. Even stopped downloading most free ones.

• Like 3