Waves adding a 2nd license - Fans rejoice! (Yes, it’s irony…)

Yan Filiatrault

Every single thing they do, or announce, just makes me so glad I held off on buying any more plugins from them.

Until they fire their CEO and change their ways, or are sold, or taken over, I can't see any hope for them.

I even somewhat wonder if this is the beginning of the end for them and too much brand damage and customer (as well as reseller) "Badwill" has been done.

One of the very last advantages of Waves that people have enjoyed in the past, is that the plugins can be updated (with active WUP) and used in years to come to open old projects regardless of OS and DAW updates. I'm not so sure that's going to be a given anymore, as they might even go bust.

They have certainly mastered the art of how to alienate customers and run a company into the ground..

Waves are one of the few cases where a VC buying them might actually be in the best interests of their customers 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barrie said:

I transitioned to this in the past year, very few software purchases, except ones, I plan to actually get used. Even stopped downloading most free ones.

Even stopped downloading purchased ones.

Here’s looking at you, IK. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Until you lose it or it break it and I wonder if you don't have WUP if they would even reset for you (yes I'm sure you in particular have WUP)

PA gives the same option with three USB sticks at a time.  

My Waves is on the same stick as PA.

WRT to losing or break it. I realize it's much smaller that my cell phone but I've never lost or broken any of my cell phones since my first on in the early 90s.

Buy yeah, that's always a possibility. However, I mostly jest about using my license on multiple computers, I'm a home hobbyist and do not have any commercial clients so at least it's not likely to be stolen. Now to be damaged the roof would need to cave in right above my DAW then crush the top tier of my desc to get eben close to where the stick is stored.

Now fire I can't control. The last time we evacuated for a fire I grabbed my most precious bass guitars, my DAW computer, my USB and iLok sticks and my NAS drives. Hopefully if it has to happen again I will once more have the time repeat that performance.

• Like 2

Brings the sub in line with a WUPed perpetual licence. If you are WUPed you get a second licence. 

I use a dongle, much less likely to go wrong than a hard drive.

Before I retired I managed around 50 dongle based licences (not music, eack licence $7.5K) used in locations around the world. These were moved from location to location frequently. We lost two in ten years, one we knew was stolen and another lost in international shipping.  So I don't consider them that vulnerable.

Edited by Vernon Barnes
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

Analog you say? Here's hoping that Roland will create an ACB version of the Nokia 3310.

There is a nice Harvard Business Review on the downfall of Motorola and the analog engineer who pushed not going digital. Nice quote even from the middle of this article:

"But Motorola was about to fall off a cliff. Because Finnish rival Nokia had wisely retooled for digital, by the time Gary Tooker’s four-year run as CEO ended in 1997, Nokia had surpassed Motorola as the world’s largest mobile phone maker. It had become a newly powerful competitor in building networks, too. Nokia would remain the world’s largest maker of mobile phones by volume—if not by revenue—for the next 15 years."

Everything in the early 90s was analog.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mettelus said:

The analog cell phones from the early 90s were the size of a shoe! Come to think of it, I have never lost a shoe either....

Still remember using one attached to a somewhat portable box. But that was ‘87. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

There is a nice Harvard Business Review on the downfall of Motorola and the analog engineer who pushed not going digital. Nice quote even from the middle of this article:

"But Motorola was about to fall off a cliff. Because Finnish rival Nokia had wisely retooled for digital, by the time Gary Tooker’s four-year run as CEO ended in 1997, Nokia had surpassed Motorola as the world’s largest mobile phone maker. It had become a newly powerful competitor in building networks, too. Nokia would remain the world’s largest maker of mobile phones by volume—if not by revenue—for the next 15 years."

Everything in the early 90s was analog.

And I believe Nokia missed the boat by going Windows Mobile instead of Android. They never recovered from that. But there could also be other factors at play.

5 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

And I believe Nokia missed the boat by going Windows Mobile instead of Android.

I think MS could have done a great job had they properly co-ordinated Windows Mobile and Nokia hardware (I seem to remember they owned both).

• Like 1

I like Waves, I've never had an issue with them or their software. I was bummed out when it looked like they were going Subscription only, that would have been the end for me, but the plugs would have kept working long enough to see me out, and if they didn't I could replace pretty much any Waves plugin if it come to that with what I already own, I just choose to use Waves. They are rock solid and generally speaking excellent quality. So apart from being bummed out, the Subscription only thing was of no concern to me, just business as usual, but I am glad the reversed the decision.

Like any company/Dev, it's their prerogative to do whatever they decide to do, I mightn't like it, but I don't know the circumstances behind any decision they make. As to WUP, it doesn't bother me, buy it when there is something to benefit me, if not it's of no concern, still get any updates that may be required, and with Waves it's not very often it's bug fixes, usually adding something like more Head Phone Models, adding integration with this or that, I've never been personally aware of a bug let alone brought down by one, solid as. This last WUP'n has been pretty awesome with the amount of useful, quality plugins for free, and the WUP'n season is nowhere near over, so there could be more to come, if not it's more than paid for itself as far as I'm concerned, all praise to the mighty Mercury.

Long live Waves, may they outlive my need for plugins at the least.

Now where are those Melda threads, I got some pics of industrial strength eye googles going unused 😈

Edited by heath row
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

12 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

And I believe Nokia missed the boat by going Windows Mobile instead of Android. They never recovered from that. But there could also be other factors at play.

Nokia missed the boat way earlier than that. They said "no" to Android when it was in its infancy then had no other place to go once everyone was buying those new fangled smartphones and iPhones instead of their devices. They literally went from being the largest mobile phone company in the world to nothing in a few years and had no choice but to sell to Microsoft, which then sunk them further and eventually extinguished the brand.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

44 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

sell to Microsoft, which then sunk them further and eventually extinguished the brand.

Yep.

I had what was perhaps the best cell phone ever made. The Lumia built by Nokia with a full Windows Mobile OS. That phone had so much potential. It was an iPhone killer had Microsoft taken it to the next level. 

But no, Microsoft does what it does....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Nokia missed the boat way earlier than that. They said "no" to Android when it was in its infancy then had no other place to go once everyone was buying those new fangled smartphones and iPhones instead of their devices. They literally went from being the largest mobile phone company in the world to nothing in a few years and had no choice but to sell to Microsoft, which then sunk them further and eventually extinguished the brand.

Oh god you are right, they had a go with their own system before going Windows Mobile. Symbian? Man this is all way too long ago when I was working in that industry.

14 hours ago, heath row said:

I like Waves, I've never had an issue with them or their software. I was bummed out when it looked like they were going Subscription only, that would have been the end for me, but the plugs would have kept working long enough to see me out, and if they didn't I could replace pretty much any Waves plugin if it come to that with what I already own, I just choose to use Waves. They are rock solid and generally speaking excellent quality. So apart from being bummed out, the Subscription only thing was of no concern to me, just business as usual, but I am glad the reversed the decision.

Like any company/Dev, it's their prerogative to do whatever they decide to do, I mightn't like it, but I don't know the circumstances behind any decision they make. As to WUP, it doesn't bother me, buy it when there is something to benefit me, if not it's of no concern, still get any updates that may be required, and with Waves it's not very often it's bug fixes, usually adding something like more Head Phone Models, adding integration with this or that, I've never been personally aware of a bug let alone brought down by one, solid as. This last WUP'n has been pretty awesome with the amount of useful, quality plugins for free, and the WUP'n season is nowhere near over, so there could be more to come, if not it's more than paid for itself as far as I'm concerned, all praise to the mighty Mercury.

Long live Waves, may they outlive my need for plugins at the least.

Now where are those Melda threads, I got some pics of industrial strength eye googles going unused 😈

Are we talking about the same company?

I realize not everyone has the issues but WAVES is literally the plugin maker I think of that an installer update has broken previously working plugins just because I was trying to install new purchases.  Then if you don't pay for WUP you will never get them to work again.  

Sound fine I can agree with.  Reliability, they are bottom of the barrel for me, and my plugin folder is well in excess of 1000 plugins so I'm not a total newbie in the market or have super limited experience across multiple brands.

• Like 1

Great product, poor business model.

Hopefully the stuffed shirts in the audio software  industry realized the mistake by Waves.  Some users there is no forgiveness for Waves.  Damage is done.  Did they ever apologize?  No.

BTW Reason adopted the former Cakewalk model by offering new content every month.  How many loops can one acquire?  The problem is they focused less on the DAW.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Are we talking about the same company?

I realize not everyone has the issues but WAVES is literally the plugin maker I think of that an installer update has broken previously working plugins just because I was trying to install new purchases.  Then if you don't pay for WUP you will never get them to work again.  

Sound fine I can agree with.  Reliability, they are bottom of the barrel for me, and my plugin folder is well in excess of 1000 plugins so I'm not a total newbie in the market or have super limited experience across multiple brands.

😂 Yeah we be talking about the same company :)

I've been around the block a lap or 2 myself, not exactly what you'd call a 'newbie' ;)'bin known by many a name here and on the old forums. I was a Pro Audio 9 user from around release, went through to SONAR Platinum (even got me some Lifetime Updates lol, but I'd already gone by then, deals), jumped ship in 2015 to Studio One 3 Pro, now happily with Studio One 6 Pro 6.2.1, and far from limited experience across multiple brands, Oh, and my plugin folder is just over 2650 plugins :)

Edited by heath row