Pretty Good Day

PhonoBrainer

Hello friends, here's one. <lyrics below>

Would dearly LOVE LOVE LOVE mix comments about things that are buried, boomy, or pokey!

<there is one cuss word in the song, repeated twice> but you will see why it is there  :)

cheers, many thanks and good music to you!

-Tom

Lyrics

There were no global implications

No chain of calamities combined

No polarizing altercations

Beween the deaf and dumb and blind

There was no wobble in the axis

The earth didn't slam into the sun

My day didn't feel like it was over

Before it had even begun

:  :

Nobody that I loved went away

Pretty Good Day

Nobody I talked to had - - - - to say

Pretty Good Day.

The floor never turned into lava

No rockets rained death down from the sky

I didn't get crushed by this piano

I didn't yearn for days gone by

No mental meltdowns from a Karen

I didn't  have to wear a mask

Everybody I met said "please" and "thank you"

I didn't  even have to ask

Nobody that I love ran away

Pretty Good Day

Nobody I talked to had - - - - to say

Pretty Good Day

And when my day is finally over

And I'm home safe and sound

I can meet these expectations

'Cause the bar is on the ground

Is there a chance for absolution?

Or only the fire will spirits save ?

Hopeless and frail is our condition

Our only redemption is the grave

(that's cheery. . .! )

Edited by PhonoBrainer
  • Like 6

Lovely ePiano intro Tom and the bass tone is gooorgeous - drums are up in the mix for sure (as is the trumpet) but I kinda like them there. I thought the vox level was about right (listening on my AA Hi-X60 cans). I wasn't expecting the funky guitar, not sure the wah quite works for me but equally I'm not sure what I'd replace it with - maybe something a tad more driven with just a bit of grit - minor crit, taste and fancy stuff.

Really cool track - I wouldn't mind a read of the lyrics either.

Great work

Andy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Outstanding!  An upbeat song with a twist.  I like the jazzy trumpet and arrangement.  All in all, a very clever and toe-tapping song that brings a smile to my face.

Thx Lynn! Glad you liked it, the trumpet is AudioModeling's SWAM thingies, highly recommended.

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I really wished I had the lyrics to follow along with on this pretty groovy piece PB.

Vocals were a bit too buried for my taste.

Much appreciated for the listen! Especially the vote for vocals. I am reluctant to post lyrics initially, because comments like yours might not happen, and that's golden. Thanks Bapu!

2 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Lovely ePiano intro Tom and the bass tone is gooorgeous - drums are up in the mix for sure (as is the trumpet) but I kinda like them there. I thought the vox level was about right (listening on my AA Hi-X60 cans). I wasn't expecting the funky guitar, not sure the wah quite works for me but equally I'm not sure what I'd replace it with - maybe something a tad more driven with just a bit of grit - minor crit, taste and fancy stuff.

Really cool track - I wouldn't mind a read of the lyrics either.

Great work

Andy

Andy! Thanks, I agree, I'm iffy on the wah guitar at the end, I guess I was going for a hippy drippy vibe. I will take your observations on board, I don't think I'm done with this . . .

The bass is the Evolution Violin bass, with a fair bit of low end carved out. I still think it's a bit boomy but the upper attack is a bit Beatlesesque in tone, I think?

Many thanks friends for the observations!

Edited by PhonoBrainer

I like the tune. It is a very relatable expression of guarded optimism.

As for those who seem to have had trouble with the clarity of the lyrics in the mix, I don't doubt what others are saying, but thought it might be useful to you to share my experience.

I usually have difficulty making out, attending to, and understanding lyrics due to a need to spend extra mental processing time to figure out what the words are.  But contrary to what others wrote, I had no trouble with the lyrics on either the first or second listen.

Over the past several years I have had increasing tinnitus and the last time I checked I had almost no hearing of external sounds above 2K-3K.  Perhaps that's why the lyrics were perfectly audible and understandable to me, not lost in the mix at all.

Again, not doubting others, but maybe my experience will help you to make they lyrics more intelligible to others (other than just providing the text).

Thanks for sharing the song.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jack c. said:

ohhhhhhhhhhh what a wonderful voice.jack c

what is the trumpet vst plugin

<checks dictionary for definition of "wonderful">  thanks Jack! The trumpet is AudioModeling SWAM, highly recommended. Thx again!

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I like the tune. It is a very relatable expression of guarded optimism.

As for those who seem to have had trouble with the clarity of the lyrics in the mix, I don't doubt what others are saying, but thought it might be useful to you to share my experience.

I usually have difficulty making out, attending to, and understanding lyrics due to a need to spend extra mental processing time to figure out what the words are.  But contrary to what others wrote, I had no trouble with the lyrics on either the first or second listen.

Over the past several years I have had increasing tinnitus and the last time I checked I had almost no hearing of external sounds above 2K-3K.  Perhaps that's why the lyrics were perfectly audible and understandable to me, not lost in the mix at all.

Again, not doubting others, but maybe my experience will help you to make they lyrics more intelligible to others (other than just providing the text).

Thanks for sharing the song.

This is awesome to work with, thanks. Tinnitus sucks, sorry. That 2 to 3k info could mean I've some weird levels or masking issues above that, I'll check. Thanks!

Tom, sounds good to me from the very start which usually means you've tweaked the freqs to their utmost and all that other sound engineer stuff I wish I could do.

I really like the positive feel of the song and the humor, like being grateful that pianos haven't fallen on your head today, things like that.  
Bit of a John Lennon mood to it I thought.
"That's cheery"  made me laugh.
Couldn't follow the lyrics in a couple of spots, but mostly they came across pretty well.
Anyway, big thumbs up on this one, Tom. Really liked it.
-Bjorn

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I wasn't having trouble hearing the lyrics. However, knowing Tom's songwriting skills of old, there are probably a few nuggets of gold in there I might have missed and would like to admire for nothing more than the sheer poetry of it.

I am a sucker for a good lyric.

Andy

• Like 1

Very cool lyrics Tom, exceptional overall groove, I get the feeling there is a play on another song here.

Love it all 6:50, not many I say that to but this is good stuff, good recording, some nice playing mix works well here on the Adam's, nice bass almost but not quite squelchy, with an edge of fretlessness, what is the trumpet or horns?

:) :) :) :) 

• Like 1

Very well done, I had no trouble with the lyrics and am glad you posted them. Love the horns. I appreciate and relate to your lyrics, when so much can go wrong and sometimes does, I really try to nurture gratitude in myself every day things don't go wrong, like grateful today I didn't need a dentist fast or a plumber ha. Easy to listen to and enjoy

• Like 1

Such a great and excellent piece on so many levels ! Firstly, it has that time transport quotient, in that one does not realize it is almost 7 minutes long, because it is absorbing and fascinating as you listen along. It's got some fun, with serious undertones . . . your Soundcloud pic reminds me of a certain SuperTramp album cover. I also love the way you deliver the vocals in such a loose and relaxed way. Lyrics are classic, and the horn section is icing on the cake (with sparkles) Mix sounds perfect to my ears, what a great listen Tom ! 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 9:52 PM, bjornpdx said:

Tom, sounds good to me from the very start which usually means you've tweaked the freqs to their utmost and all that other sound engineer stuff I wish I could do.

I really like the positive feel of the song and the humor, like being grateful that pianos haven't fallen on your head today, things like that.  
Bit of a John Lennon mood to it I thought.
"That's cheery"  made me laugh.
Couldn't follow the lyrics in a couple of spots, but mostly they came across pretty well.
Anyway, big thumbs up on this one, Tom. Really liked it.
-Bjorn

Hi Bjorn, many thanks! All that "engineer stuff" is a lot of throwing spaghetti on the wall, which is why I'm lucky to get two songs a year out. I make dodgy mix decisions, listen to the results about a thousand times, replace them with slightly less dodgy mix decisions. And then finally push it out when I can live with the existing smaller transgressions :)

appreciate your comments!