Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

11 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

If you add Repeat, I will buy it. I’ll probably buy it anyway, but so many times I would like to repeat many things that I wonder why we don’t have that function. It  would make my workflow much quicker. A quick example would be lowering or raising the pitch of a midi file in one instrument and then selecting any other midi clip and selecting Repeat without having to go into Transpose. Same thing wit an audio clip. Same thing with quantizing. 

Say you apply a specific delay for a guitar track and want to apply that very specific delay to a piano track. Repeat can do this.

Quick grouping handles most of the commonly used operations like changing track or plugin parameters over multiple selected tracks.
I see your request however.

Still on the workflows topic, I would really like you guys to produce some of your own videos on tips, tricks, and better ways to streamline the workflow process. As it is I am sure there are many ways of doing things that I don't do because I am writing music and (for me) writing music consumes all my brain power. I learn almost everything I know from this forum, but videos speak  in volumes.

• Like 1

Since a feedback loop is a very general topic, I would like to request a small but handy addition , that perhaps can be added to future Sonar while it is being forged. One of the main reasons why I like Cakewalk is a super easy way  of tracking.  I am talking about auto creation  of take lanes on transport Rec/Stop. I use that feature pretty much on every tune.  At times I would  have a few dozen of take lanes on a single track only with a few take lanes active, while most are muted. Multiply that by several tacks and I get hundreds of muted take lanes (subtracks).  Gets a bit busy on the screen.  Here is my request:

Simple mechanism to hide / un-hide muted take lanes within a track.  Or maybe even everything that is "muted" including main track (if it's muted) 

Thank you for considering.

34 minutes ago, Michael Richards said:

Still on the workflows topic, I would really like you guys to produce some of your own videos on tips, tricks, and better ways to streamline the workflow process. As it is I am sure there are many ways of doing things that I don't do because I am writing music and (for me) writing music consumes all my brain power. I learn almost everything I know from this forum, but videos speak  in volumes.

@Morten Saether is working on several video's for Next. We also may do new videos on Sonar.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Studioware panels were pretty innovative but seemed to die a bit of a death sometime in the mid 2000's along with CAL iirc

I don't want to get off topic, but this made me remember that I hope CAL or something comparable sticks around. Even the function to split MIDI by note alone is a really important part of my workflow that would be a big disruption if absent. Cheers!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Red Four said:

I don't want to get off topic, but this made me remember that I hope CAL or something comparable sticks around. Even the function to split MIDI by note alone is a really important part of my workflow that would be a big disruption if absent. Cheers!

Despite CAL being deprecated long ago, we've no plans to change its existing behaviour for Sonar, so any CAL scripts that currently work in CbB will work without issue in Sonar.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

Despite CAL being deprecated long ago, we've no plans to change its existing behaviour for Sonar, so any CAL scripts that currently work in CbB will work without issue in Sonar.

I feel that although some of them are a bit obscure, many of the CAL scripts address gaps that should be added to the core midi funtionality - Humanize for example  is native to most DAWs 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I feel that although some of them are a bit obscure, many of the CAL scripts address gaps that should be added to the core midi funtionality - Humanize for example  is native to most DAWs 

Agreed that these should be native functions. At some point we also intend to replace CAL with a modern scripting language. We're a small team and as you might imaging juggling two full DAW's has been a challenge the last few years ;)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Great Idea 1

Think I said this already, but just to reiterate - many thanks to Jesse, Noel, Mark and all the Staff for staying engaged and providing as much input/details as they can. Don't think you'll find that much direct / hands on involvement from many software companies.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Sal Sorice said:

Think I said this already, but just to reiterate - many thanks to Jesse, Noel, Mark and all the Staff for staying engaged and providing as much input/details as they can. Don't think you'll find that much direct / hands on involvement from many software companies.

Hear, hear!

7 hours ago, jackson white said:

ya, i can do this with just a few Acustica Audio plugins 

I use a LOT of Acustica Audio plugs and they are indeed extremely CPU heavy.  But two things in my favor -

Cakewalk (Sonar) and Reaper are known as the two DAWS that handle AA plugs the best.

Also I use AudioGridder to connect a laptop to my main studio computer to offload some processing and it works a treat.  How cool would it be to see AudioGridder becoming part of our favorite DAW ?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Late to the party here, 32 pages late to be precise!

I just wanted to pass on a massive thanks to Noel and the team for their focus on bug fixes and stability over the last few years. CbB has been rock solid. Your commitment to this piece of software and the community has been huge! 👏

Looking forward to the next chapter, I can't wait to see what's up next (no pun intended!)  

Edited by Millzy
  • Like 5