Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

1 minute ago, Jesse Jost said:

Theming capabilities will change and there may be little to no customization in the first release of Sonar. That said, a tremendous amount of thought and effort have gone into this rework and we hope that the need for theming will be greatly diminished moving forward. 

The way that theming works in CbB is tortuous, so we're moving to a simpler, more elegant presentation idiom. The core customization capabilities that are needed most will likely be introduced in the future, but in a far more user friendly way than what's available in the current theme editor. 

OK. I hope that we'll still be able to make full customizations as we currently can (with whatever improvements you're adding), because this is something that I really enjoy doing, along with other people. There may not be a lot of us making themes, but we are very dedicated.
For instance, I recreated more than 600 graphic elements from the Theme Editor with Blender 3D, you see. Waste of time for some, actual pleasure for me and I sincerely hope I can continue to do so. Changing every single icon and color is satisfying, on top of making music, of course.

Cakewalk themes.png

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Grebz said:

I like making themes.
Will the new Sonar allow us to customize the UI? Will it use the same Theme Editor? Did you fix such issues as one color used in several different places? Get rid of the old unused elements?

16 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

Theming capabilities will change and there may be little to no customization in the first release of Sonar. That said, a tremendous amount of thought and effort have gone into this rework and we hope that the need for theming will be greatly diminished moving forward. 

The way that theming works in CbB is tortuous, so we're moving to a simpler, more elegant presentation idiom. The core customization capabilities that are needed most will likely be introduced in the future, but in a far more user friendly way than what's available in the current theme editor. 

I guess what will be, will be, and I respect the decisions of the team, but this doesn't sound so good to someone such as myself (and no doubt you also @Grebz) who likes deeply changing the look of every item, the same goes for those who also like using a Theme which looks entirely different to the originals, this makes it sound like customization will be very limited rather than comprehensive, I do hope not and I know I don't speak for the majority but keeping full customization possibilities would certainly be a great thing! (To some of us at least lol)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Grebz said:

I hope that we'll still be able to make full customizations as we currently can (with whatever improvements you're adding), because this is something that I really enjoy doing, along with other people. There may not be a lot of us making themes, but we are very dedicated.  Waste of time for some, actual pleasure for me and I sincerely hope I can continue to do so. Changing every single icon and color is satisfying, on top of making music, of course.

Absolutely!

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

and for allowing older users to continue to use Cakewalk by Bandlab in case they cannot make the transition to the new products.

The only question here is how long will we be able to authorize CbB if we do not jump on the new Sonar?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flangad said:

i also have one little question: i curently use a very beautifull skin for CbB. Is the new Cakewalk Sonar -and it's announced "UI enhancements"- compatible with CbB existing skins?

So far, there is not even a rough interface for the new Sonar anywhere, but I am almost completely sure that for editing/creating custom skins, a new Theme Editor will be offered, as it is now for Cakewalk, or the current version will work for the new Sonar.

1 minute ago, MarcL said:

The only question here is how long will we be able to authorize CbB if we do not jump on the new Sonar?

I am an old man. I'll cross that bridge ^^^ later on if it comes.

Will Cakewalk by BandLab be discontinued?

Yes, eventually. We will continue providing community support and maintenance for Cakewalk by BandLab until Cakewalk Sonar becomes publicly available. At some point after the release of Sonar, Cakewalk by BandLab will no longer be supported. Note that existing Cakewalk by BandLab users will be able to continue using the software after the release of Cakewalk Sonar. In the meantime, Cakewalk by BandLab continues to be available here.

I am a worrier, too, so I understand the question, but for now, I will keep my faith in the company that resurrected  and continued to improve SONAR after it was abandoned and discontinued by the former owner.  

• Like 4

As a long time Cakewalk user from almost the beginning. I'm happy that Bandlab kept up the Cakewalk legacy. I hope that all of my purchases will still be available. If not I'll be extremely disappointed. I'm looking forward to the new Sonar. I expect to pay for this. I was even angry that Banlab gave it away for free as I payed a lot for every update over the years. I never could understand the economics of giving it away for free. I knew it wouldn't last. That said I hope they'd better not offer Sonar as a subscription offering. Just sayin!

1 hour ago, Jesse Jost said:

Please don't limit us to "Dark Mode" only

• Like 6

2 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

My guess is Next will be web browser based, you know, running through Chrome or Firefox or whatever web browser you use.  This way they can reach more people.  I think Sonar will be the version that runs as it's own application installed on your machine.  Next will be free and Sonar will be paid. 

No Next is a full desktop based cross platform app that integrates with BandLab. The web browser based daw is BandLab studio that already exists.

• Like 2

as long as i will not have to learn a brand new DAW system, i'll stick with cakewalk. I'm with them since 25 years! :)

please make the transition effortlessly and don't change the "user experience" too much.  Otherwise, if i have to "learn" too much things and have to change my workflow too much,  switching to cubase may have added values such as extended compatiblity with external controllers...

• Like 7
  • Great Idea 2

8 hours ago, Jesse Jost said:

On behalf of BandLab Technologies and the Cakewalk team, I’m thrilled to announce the following updates and hope you share our excitement for what's to come! The brand Cakewalk by BandLab is now Cakewalk, standing as an independent brand within BandLab Technologies, focused on delivering the next generation of music production software for desktop.

I hope not subscription and light price 

• Like 2