When Guns Are Silent

noynekker

Always fascinated by the sound of a rock band playing with a symphony orchestra in the back, so I tried to do that here. By the time I added some vocals, a lot of the orchestral parts got mixed back, the rock band moves to front, so I'm still trying to get the mix right . . . let me know what you hear on this one.

• Like 3

Hi Noynekker , nothing wrong with this great track,.vocals are just super the mix is fine its a great song ..has an eighties feel to it  and thats a good thing, one can always tweak what is a perfect mix and end up with the same result later on so enjoy your super song well done that man cheers P  Ps . the guitar had a great tone as well 

Bruce ,  I guess the votes are in .   Another Fantastic production !  I thought the backing orchestration was just right.  It wasn't lacking at all and not too far up front to distract from the normal instruments. I always think your vocals are Superb , and this one I believe topped them all.  You do know you're going to have to explain how you achieved the "Steller" guitar work .          don't you ?       mark

Edited by mark skinner

Excellent!!!  I love the urgency of the guitars which are complemented by the somewhat more tempered nature of the orchestration.  The vocals and BGVs/harmonies are spot on.  The arrangement is great and the mix well done.  Oh yes, and the the lyrics deliver a great message.  Most cool indeed!!!

Did you separate with a symphony orchestra bus?   I always find when you pan  symphony orchestra left or right you mess up the overhaul orchestra natural pan which is all round you coming at you everywhere and sometimes good to sit the guitars in it in sections.  Nice clean mix, the bass keeps keeps pushing, the vocal is fantastic and lyrics.  Maybe there is something missing in the intro, i think it needs guitar. 

Hey Everybody . . . thanks so much for your support of this project, appreciate the great and helpful comments . . .

@Paul Bush  by now you know I'm an 80's fan, just like you, for me, mostly English bands back then . . . thanks for compliments on the guitar tone, never was much of a lead player, just a strum whacker

@Jesse Screed thanks for having a listen, and positive comments "radio ready" . . . you got a radio station that would still play this stuff ?

@jack c. I'm happy you're happy with it, appreciated

@KSband thanks for the voice comment, the singing voice emerged from the need for songwriting

@bjornpdx  I'm such a fan of your creative projects, glad you think the orchestra worked on this one

@Lynn Wilson thank you sir ! And I always look forward to the many "polished" pieces you post here

@mark skinner always appreciate your creativity and support for my stuff . . . and since you asked, my guitar set up is ancient and simple. Electric guitars are always on my Gibson Epiphone, using a Korg A3 Processor . . . it's a hardware rack mount that has a 6 effect chain possibility, 1 mono dry direct out, and 2 wet stereo outs. The Epiphone has lock nuts, so I can make full use of the whammy bar, which I had great fun with in this one ! FX EQ added was Fabfilter , lows cut, mid accentuated 300hz to 2k, highs above 4k rolled off substantially.

@freddy j  Most appreciative of your great review of my song ! (And glad you mentioned there's a message here)

@treesha Thank you for listening in, and your comments about vocals . . . when you say it sounds "professional" well, I'll let you know I learned how to do audio right here on this Cakewalk forum, over many years.

@AndyB01 Thank you for "enjoying the listen" great to hear from another 80's fan ! (Thanks also for all the listens you've had over the past few years, really helps!)

@whoisp I didn't use an "orchestra bus" . . . but what a great suggestion . . . I was just panning the orchestra parts in this one to get clarity above that driving bass line.  Maybe you want that guitar to come in sooner, or a few introduction guitar notes, over the pizzicato . . .

@DeeringAmps I always feel much better when I see your hand emojis on my cake thread ! and always glad for your listening . . . also, your comments  on my Soundcloud channel, thank you so much !

• Like 3

I agree with everyone else. Its a nice mix and cool song.  Considering the composition I really don't think there is very much space & time for the orchestra to pop out and I don't think its the center attraction in this track. So my feelings are that what you did works fine.