Strymon Big Sky Plugin

cclarry

The hardware has been on and off my wishlist for some time now. Alternating with the Empress Reverb pedal and Microcosm. The plugin is pretty expensive but if the sound is the same (which it should come close to as it is a code port), it's actually pretty cheap. I will be waiting for a sale, but just think that this is basically multiple Valhalla plugins in 1.

I'm personally happy to cross off the hardware unit from my wishlist (together with the Empress) and replace it with this plugin. Same sound, more flexibility for less.

• Like 1

Makes me think of JST Sky Box on sale for $19. I picked it up a while ago for like $11. I haven't played with it much, but the time I did, I'll admit to being pleasantly surprised.

https://joeysturgistones.com/collections/mixing-effects/products/jst-sky-box

PS. I you feel like dealing with their annoying shopping site, leave it in your cart for a bit and they'll send you a coupon for an additional % off...

• Like 1

I'm curious about the CPU hit with this thing.  I've used the Strymon Blue Sky (it is kind of clinical/hi-fi sounding).  And it seems like they put emphasis the chips/processor used as being substantial.  

when you can get a Blue Sky pedal for $200, it seems pretty absurd to charge the same for the big brother in VST format that will be worthless in a few years where the pedal will keep its value.  

Good idea to put out a plugin version, but price point puts it in a place where only Strymon fanbois are going to dive in.  Just look at MTurboReverb on sale and compare the features (and sound) as an example.  

Audiority's verb is on sale for $30 and goes lower than that every year.  While I wouldn't say it is Strymon algorithm level, it is good and does have lots of the more "creative" verb styles in it.

8 hours ago, Jim Roseberry said:

The Big Sky pedal sounds beautiful on guitar.

I'll grab this specifically  to use with IK's new ToneX.

Agree that pedal sounds incredible on live guitar. Not so sure at all, though, about going the plug-in route on it.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:10 AM, cclarry said:

$199

"not a deal".  

I too will check for a Black Friday sale.  

In 2033...  

If crypto takes off again....

And I start a wildly successful onlyfans page for audio gear...

And win the super lotto....   twice....  scratch that... three times.... 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TheSteven said:

Looks like Blue Sky can probably replace 60 to 90% of my reverb plugins - if so, it's worth $199.
Can I afford to spend $199 on a plugin right now?
No. 

What is the CPU hit though?  Always a consideration for reverb, imo. 

Also I know it wouldn't be in the 90% replacement range across music production for me even though it has plenty of "types" of verbs.