2020.04 Feedback

Hi. After today update to this latest version I cannot anymore open my project file. It shows that it loads project plugins on that little blue info bar but it hangs on ''Opening Project'' state. I tried that rollback installer to previous cakewalk version, but now project wont open even on that previous version. I also tried to remove Cakewalk and reinstall it from Bandlab again, but it not open my project anymore... I had tried to open my project backup file which was saved earlier and it not opening same. My other projeects aree opening and working. Only this particular one project. Cakewalk not showing any errors, it just freezes and not reesponding. There is something definitely messed with that new update. Its totaly screwed my project that I worked for 3 months! Can someone from devs help me? Its very important to me. I can send my project to devs if need too. Thanks

freezing.jpg

Edited by Andris Rinkis
  • Like 1

Looking good so far, Big thanks to all concerned. Had to revert to Cakewalk theme as I couldnt read the words Proch in at the top of the inspector, otherwise until further experimentation I'm pleased with this version.

Roy

Thank you for the update, but there is a big issue with saving my current setup.

I did workspace and I run it in custom, but what’s strange is when I switch it to custom, set all my windows and how I like it then save it, close out then reopen, it goes back to workspace and all the views goes back to default. Let me explain further. Open Bandlab, undock the console, drag it to my right monitor, in the left monitor I have track view. The previous versions there was no issue and it remembered the next time I brought up a project. Simply click on my project and console view would be on my right monitor and track view on the left monitor. This version doesn’t save this and defaults to one window on the left monitor. Then I need to undock the console again, drag it to the right monitor and so on. The save function is not working when it comes to how I have my setup for my projects. 
Is there something I’m missing of how I can get it to save my current setup? 
Is there a way to rollback to the previous version? 
Thank you 

I hope rollback will work for you Johnny. As for me its not worked at all. Actually its first time for me with so horrible experience with update! I will now make system restore point manually next time they will make update for sure as I really not interested to loose my projects. I very hope they will fix it as its a lot of time spend there and I need it! Here you can see in there link to rollback: 

Edited by Andris Rinkis

My biggest problem with cakewalk has to do with crashing when I freeze tracks, happens about 1/3 of the time when freezing large tracks. hoping this update takes care of it, but am not going to update until the above problems are dealt with.  Plus I tried to update and bandlab froze.  Freeze seems to be going around! 🙂 

thanks for a great program. 

5 hours ago, Andris Rinkis said:

Hi. After today update to this latest version I cannot anymore open my project file. It shows that it loads project plugins on that little blue info bar but it hangs on ''Opening Project'' state. I tried that rollback installer to previous cakewalk version, but now project wont open even on that previous version. I also tried to remove Cakewalk and reinstall it from Bandlab again, but it not open my project anymore... I had tried to open my project backup file which was saved earlier and it not opening same. My other projeects aree opening and working. Only this particular one project. Cakewalk not showing any errors, it just freezes and not reesponding. There is something definitely messed with that new update. Its totaly screwed my project that I worked for 3 months! Can someone from devs help me? Its very important to me. I can send my project to devs if need too. Thanks

Hi @Andris Rinkis please contact me via PM and we can do some troubleshooting. Yes uploading the project will be useful. You can also capture a dump file when it hangs that may show what's going on. Which version of Windows are you using?
If it doesn't work after rollback,  then it typically indicates a problem on your specific system installation since rollback reverts Cakewalk to the prior state. (check that the version in the about box says 2020.01 post rollback)

Have you already done basic troubleshooting using safe mode? Hold down shift before opening the project and it will prompt you. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Johnny Penk said:

Thank you for the update, but there is a big issue with saving my current setup.

I did workspace and I run it in custom, but what’s strange is when I switch it to custom, set all my windows and how I like it then save it, close out then reopen, it goes back to workspace and all the views goes back to default. Let me explain further. Open Bandlab, undock the console, drag it to my right monitor, in the left monitor I have track view. The previous versions there was no issue and it remembered the next time I brought up a project. Simply click on my project and console view would be on my right monitor and track view on the left monitor. This version doesn’t save this and defaults to one window on the left monitor. Then I need to undock the console again, drag it to the right monitor and so on. The save function is not working when it comes to how I have my setup for my projects. 
Is there something I’m missing of how I can get it to save my current setup? 
Is there a way to rollback to the previous version? 
Thank you 

This question has been answered several times. A workspace is like a template/preset of configuration settings. Its normal for it to be restored to the state when the workspace was saved. If you want to customize a workspace you must make your changes and then save the workspace under a new name. Also make sure that the workspace is configured to save the settings you want. More info about workspaces is in the help. 

Alternatively set the workspace to "none" if you don't wish to use any customization presets at all.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HappyRon Hill said:

My biggest problem with cakewalk has to do with crashing when I freeze tracks, happens about 1/3 of the time when freezing large tracks. hoping this update takes care of it, but am not going to update until the above problems are dealt with.  Plus I tried to update and bandlab froze.  Freeze seems to be going around! 🙂 

thanks for a great program. 

There are no known issues with freeze crashing. There are several freeze fixes in this update so please update and use it. Crashes if due to external plugins cannot be solved by Cakewalk of course.

• Like 1

Problems here. opening a project i have used many.many times now crashes to the desktop after playing for about 5 seconds. I have a mini dump. Looking at it, it has an access violation. i have rolled back, but still crashes. I crashed a few minutes ago but didn't crate a minidump/

Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.15063.468 AMD64
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Users\Scott\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\MiniDumps\a blues for u7_04242020_220910.dmp]
Comment: 'Cakewalk Core Created Dump
    -------------------------------- 
    App Version: 26.01.0.28
    User: Scott
    Serial: CBCO100UZBVKS21EEIA
    Project File: D:\a blues for u\a blues for u7.cwp
    IsPluginCrash: 0
    Total Phys Mem 16692332 KB
    Avail Phys Mem 5330252 KB
    Aud Settings: 
    AlwaysOpenAllDevices 0
    DynamicArm 0
    DynArmOnlyInputs 1
    MultiProc 1
    MinimizeDriverStateChanges 1
    MMCSS 1
    WaveRT 0
    CloseOnLostFocus 0
    Default Bit Depth 24
    Default Rec Bit Depth 16
    Default Render Depth 32
    Default Sample Rate 48000
    Playback Buffer Size 2
    Bounce Buffer Size 2
    Core 2
    Play Timing Master ASIO Fireface USB Analog 1 (1)
    Record Timing Master ASIO Fireface USB Analog 1 (1)

'
User Mini Dump File: Only registers, stack and portions of memory are available

Symbol search path is: srv*
Executable search path is: 
Windows 10 Version 18363 MP (8 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: SingleUserTS
18362.1.amd64fre.19h1_release.190318-1202
Machine Name:
Debug session time: Fri Apr 24 22:09:10.000 2020 (UTC - 4:00)
System Uptime: not available
Process Uptime: 0 days 0:03:16.000
Loading unloaded module list
This dump file has an exception of interest stored in it.
The stored exception information can be accessed via .ecxr.
(334.24a4): Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)
ntdll!NtGetContextThread+0x14:
00007ffa`dda5de54 c3              ret

EDIT:..........

I think I found my problem. I removed the Amplitube VST3  plugin and now seems to run fine. I have had problems with the VST3 version of this plugin and Cakewalk for years now. I have brought it up to Cakewalk and IK Multimedia but after getting the usual reboot, reload etc responses I have felt blown off. Anyway, seems like it is working with the VST2 version of Amplitube.

Edited by scottfa
Found possible fix.
  • Like 1

I was curious and saw there was a possibility to rollback to previous version, which made me feel safe enough to try an update on my win7 pro.

It all went very smooth. Restarted the pc before starting CbB. CbB started fine. Gave the arranger a quick test with midiclips. It works fine.

I had version 2020.01 and was thinking to stop updating and hold on to that version.
For some reason this update fixed something that have slowed down the starts with the version 2020.01.  :)

I've only had a very quick look, but unless I'm missing something the show/hide arranger button shows the arranger in TV but doesn't hide it again.

(Win 8.1 if it matters)

Edited by paulo

4 hours ago, Royarn said:

Looking good so far, Big thanks to all concerned. Had to revert to Cakewalk theme as I couldnt read the words Proch in at the top of the inspector, otherwise until further experimentation I'm pleased with this version.

Roy

User themes must be modified for this release. The geometry of some of the images have changed. See

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This question has been answered several times. A workspace is like a template/preset of configuration settings. Its normal for it to be restored to the state when the workspace was saved. If you want to customize a workspace you must make your changes and then save the workspace under a new name. Also make sure that the workspace is configured to save the settings you want. More info about workspaces is in the help. 

Alternatively set the workspace to "none" if you don't wish to use any customization presets at all.

I had exactly the same experience and yes, that fixes it. Though I guess I wasn't using a workspace before so is the new version now defaulting to using one?