2020.04 Feedback

You know, that's actually not too bad either. I can still comp as usual later on.  It seems it only gets a little cumbersome if I decide later on that I want to record additional takes on the same track.

Thanks a lot!!!

Edited by JensL

On 4/30/2020 at 11:27 PM, scook said:

Depends on what it meant by "play"

Here are a couple of threads that posed a similar question

I followed the advice for the first post, and I've found a bigger problem: I have no MIDI input device! How am I supposed to record anything without an input device? I do have electronic piano in my house, but I can't play it. What do I do now?

13 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@JensL - you may want to consider using Sound on Sound with Mute Previous takes.  I personally use this method because I don't want the auto-splitting of comp recording:

loop_recording_with_sos.gif

I have to say your patient response here and informative explication , @msmcleod, has been an eye-opener for me! Somehow the "heal tool" and "mute previous" tips have eluded me as well, hiding in plain sight as they are!

Strange that, in the manual, it says, "The Mute Previous Takes option has no effect during loop recording."

I suppose that is meant to say that it is just on by default in this case?

Anyway, cheers for the unending valuable tidbits!

I have an issue (audio stopping frequently during playback) that may have started occurring only after updating to 2020.04. It would help if I could determine exactly when I did the update. Is there an installation log where I can find that? (And is there a way to roll back the 2020.04 update?)

13 hours ago, Gregory Phillips said:

I have an issue (audio stopping frequently during playback) that may have started occurring only after updating to 2020.04. It would help if I could determine exactly when I did the update. Is there an installation log where I can find that? (And is there a way to roll back the 2020.04 update?)

It's unlikely the 2020.04 update would be the cause if you're getting dropouts, but the details and a rollback installer available here:

I found the following SMALL issues in the 2020.04 release:

1. Sometimes when I select a range of clips and bounce, then an adjacent clip is also included, although it is clearly out of that range. Before I bounce this clip is also NOT marked as selected! I guess that probably there is a "micro"-overlap?
  2. The setting "Show Aim Assist Time" is always OFF when I reopen the project. It is a bit annoying, because I always like to have it ON.
  3. When I export a clip (via the right click menu) there is this "new feature": After the export the viewable section jumps to the NOW TIME! Very annoying when you forgot to set the now time somewhere in the visible area (to avoid it)!

4 hours ago, marled said:

I found the following SMALL issues in the 2020.04 release:

1. Sometimes when I select a range of clips and bounce, then an adjacent clip is also included, although it is clearly out of that range. Before I bounce this clip is also NOT marked as selected! I guess that probably there is a "micro"-overlap?
  2. The setting "Show Aim Assist Time" is always OFF when I reopen the project. It is a bit annoying, because I always like to have it ON.
  3. When I export a clip (via the right click menu) there is this "new feature": After the export the viewable section jumps to the NOW TIME! Very annoying when you forgot to set the now time somewhere in the visible area (to avoid it)!

per #2, do you have a workspace set? 

On 5/2/2020 at 8:16 PM, msmcleod said:

@JensL - you may want to consider using Sound on Sound with Mute Previous takes.  I personally use this method because I don't want the auto-splitting of comp recording:

@msmcleod - It seems that the "Heal tool" and "mute previous takes" suggestions you mention here, which were new to me, only work on audio clips.  Neither technique work (for me) when recording MIDI. Is this as intended??

19 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

per #2, do you have a workspace set? 

No, I never have used workspaces! I ckecked also if I had not enabled a workspace accidentally, no!

But with some more trials I found out, that it does not happen every time. I tried with a couple of old projects and sometimes it was off, sometimes it was on. Even opening the same project had not always the same effect! Very strange! But it is definitely a "feature" of 2020.04. 😉

15 hours ago, winkpain said:

@msmcleod - It seems that the "Heal tool" and "mute previous takes" suggestions you mention here, which were new to me, only work on audio clips.  Neither technique work (for me) when recording MIDI. Is this as intended??

I don't know if this is your intention, but maybe? If you want to "join" some MIDI clips to one, then simply select the clips and use "Bounce to Clip(s)" of the Clip menu!

2 hours ago, marled said:

No, I never have used workspaces! I ckecked also if I had not enabled a workspace accidentally, no!

But with some more trials I found out, that it does not happen every time. I tried with a couple of old projects and sometimes it was off, sometimes it was on. Even opening the same project had not always the same effect! Very strange! But it is definitely a "feature" of 2020.04. 😉

It happens the same to me. The status of the "aim assist time" seems to be randomly set on startup, but it happened also in the previous releases, not only in 2020.04

4 hours ago, marled said:

I don't know if this is your intention, but maybe? If you want to "join" some MIDI clips to one, then simply select the clips and use "Bounce to Clip(s)" of the Clip menu!

Thanks for the response, @marled! But no, that's not what I was curious about. "Bounce to clip" is definitely in my common arsenal already.

In the cases outlined, it was more a curiosity as to why these clip tools don't work the same on MIDI as on audio. And more specifically, the "Mute previous takes" function.

If I want to have several go's at recording a looped section, creating several takes and not hearing the previous takes on each go 'round, how to do this when recording with MIDI/virtual instrument. ?

In my System, The best stable and smooth version.... The Aim Assist don't stuck now... THANK YOU GUYS. YOU ARE DOING AND AMAZING JOB. My family and me are gratefull (this DAW is the helper for the income in this house). Blessings. (Sorry with my little English). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 5/3/2020 at 12:16 PM, msmcleod said:

How do you make those awesome GIFs?

Is there a page that teaches you how step by step?

Thanks!!