2020.04 Feedback

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@IanCan you share this project so we can take a look at it?

Sure Noel, please let me know what email I should send it to - you can PM me if needed.
I can send a dropbox link.

I have an update on this as well: I've deleted all the orphaned automations from the project using Delete Special - Track/Bus Automations.

However, if i MOVE one of the sections in arranger track, it adds all the copied old orphaned automations back in for all tracks. So so weird.

HI:)

I'm now happy with the arranger track. 

When working with snap to musical values(sections) in conjunction with that "split midi notes" disabled and slip edit I can work with!

For committing I have to add an empty section at the beginning!

If the very first section has early notes, they are all cut. So insert a very first section and then slip edit the second section it works.

But, after committing the list it's a bit of work to do slip editing. Direct rendering is not a good idea, cause the early notes and ringing out notes are cut, Bassdrums are missing, crashes, all notes that are a bit too early.

Insomma, It would be nice to have early notes and ring out notes involved into the sections without having to edit them after committing!

It's a very nice tool if you know how to work with it and spend a little time to edit after using.

Thanks to the bakers:)

Bassman.

P.S. I was wrong!! Sorry Bakers, Early notes and overlapping notes are played in the section! Don't know what mistakes I made at testing this.

Great!

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

On 4/25/2020 at 9:00 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

This question has been answered several times. A workspace is like a template/preset of configuration settings. Its normal for it to be restored to the state when the workspace was saved. If you want to customize a workspace you must make your changes and then save the workspace under a new name. Also make sure that the workspace is configured to save the settings you want. More info about workspaces is in the help. 

Alternatively set the workspace to "none" if you don't wish to use any customization presets at all.

Hello, where do I find the Workspace manager? This is for version 2020.04. Build 179, 64bit
Here is what I’m talking about. It loads it for a second then defaults 

EDIT: I found it and worked like a charm. Thank you!! 

Edited by Johnny Penk

Control Tab  opens the track inspector even though that key combination is unassigned in the Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts.  It SHOULD be reserved as a standard Win 10 key combo to cycle through the open windows.

Show/Hide Track inspector does not appear in the list of actions even though the "i" key is bound to it.

Anyone else with this behaviour?

Im getting issues with my Omnisphere vst...sometimes when loading, I cannot click on a patch, however the patch sound changes. its as though the UI has frozen. Also, for some reason in Multi on Omnisphere, im getting occurrences of the patch being panned for no reason.

Installed the update yesterday. Suddenly this morning I get no sound coming through any of the VST instruments that I add to a project. It seems that the only thing that responds audibly is Cakewalk TTS-1. Visually everything seems fine, the synth dashboards all look like they should, and those that have meters or anything that responds visually to MIDI data looks right, but there's no sound. Those that offer a way of triggering sounds, like clicking on the bass neck of the Studio Instruments bass, act like they're working fine – but not a sound.

Curiously, opening a project I was working on yesterday that had Lounge Lizard Keys, Kontact Player, and Dimension Pro, the track assigned to Dimension Pro, the last thing I added, plays fine, but the other two are mute.

I don't know if it's an issue with the new update but the timing is a bit suspicious 🙂 Anyone else having this issue?

1 hour ago, DocBob said:

Control Tab  opens the track inspector even though that key combination is unassigned in the Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts.  It SHOULD be reserved as a standard Win 10 key combo to cycle through the open windows.

Show/Hide Track inspector does not appear in the list of actions even though the "i" key is bound to it.

Anyone else with this behaviour?

Answered my own question.  The inspector pane was undocked, (since I never undock it myself, I assume the upgrade did) so Control Tab WAS cycling to the next open window.   All is well.  

No other issues, no hanging.

Please fix the abhorrent Waves plugin Mono-Stereo bug. I'll re-open Cakewalk once I see this is fixed. I have too many projects I made in Sonar that make use of mono->stereo plugins. (Ya know.. like adding a chorus to a vocal... or delay to a guitar.. )

For those curious, it seems any Waves plugins that operate on a mono signal and output stereo now just output mono. It's apparently a known issue that's been around since late last year.

Automation or unit tests would catch this sort of a regression. Waves is a very popular plugin vendor and mono to stereo plugins are quite common.

FIX THIS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sean Aitken said:

Please fix the abhorrent Waves plugin Mono-Stereo bug. I'll re-open Cakewalk once I see this is fixed. I have too many projects I made in Sonar that make use of mono->stereo plugins. (Ya know.. like adding a chorus to a vocal... or delay to a guitar.. )

For those curious, it seems any Waves plugins that operate on a mono signal and output stereo now just output mono. It's apparently a known issue that's been around since late last year.

Automation or unit tests would catch this sort of a regression. Waves is a very popular plugin vendor and mono to stereo plugins are quite common.

FIX THIS!

We're already working on a fix and have been communication with Waves about this issue. It was just not in the scope for 2020.04.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I still (since starting with the EA release) can't rename sections in the new Arranger with Right-click/Rename or menu dots/Rename. Doing either results in nothing happening.

Pressing F2 or double-clicking name in Arranger Inspector works, fortunately.

Small issue, but just sayin...

Updated and one of my projects crashes consistently during playback when the playhead reaches the loop end point. I get a crash dialog and the GUI goes unresponsive, although the audio loop keeps playing in the background. Spacebar will stop playback, but I have to restart CW to get the GUI to work again, so it seems it just crashes a GUI thread. Moving the loop somewhere else didn't get rid of the crashes.

This project consists only of one VSTi track and one video file. I had no problems with looping on other projects which consisted of just MIDI and audio, so symptoms seem to point to the video track.

Rolling back to 2020.01 fixed the issue.

I can provide minidumps by PM if any dev is interested.

Edited by luis@vagar.org

3 hours ago, luis@vagar.org said:

Updated and one of my projects crashes consistently during playback when the playhead reaches the loop end point. I get a crash dialog and the GUI goes unresponsive, although the audio loop keeps playing in the background. Spacebar will stop playback, but I have to restart CW to get the GUI to work again, so it seems it just crashes a GUI thread. Moving the loop somewhere else didn't get rid of the crashes.

This project consists only of one VSTi track and one video file. I had no problems with looping on other projects which consisted of just MIDI and audio, so symptoms seem to point to the video track.

Rolling back to 2020.01 fixed the issue.

I can provide minidumps by PM if any dev is interested.

Yes, please send us minidumps if you're seeing crashes. 

19 minutes ago, Roger Jeynes said:

But most of all thank you for removing the default 'Bypass All Audio Effects' shortcut - this was a constant source of finger trouble for me!

If/when I install this version on my DAW pc the very first thing I'll be doing is reinstating that. 

LOVE the new ARRANGER track and how MUCH EASIER it makes my life. 😁

When we were in limbo after Gibson shut down SONAR I started researching what DAW I liked good enough to go thru the trouble of the dreaded learning curve required to get me up to speed, navigation,  and familiarity of which I'm used to working in Cakewalk as a power use on a Windows 10 computer.

No small task after a couple of decades of since the game changed using SONAR as my primary source WHIP since version 8.5 reigned in on stability, SONAR 4 Producer when the Skylight ProChannel UI became comfortable & ROCK SOLID and up until the final release of demise of SPLAT. 😣

After careful consideration of at least a month of digging in deep thru trail and error of several DAWs, I concluded because of their foreword thinking and thoughtful approaches to innovation, Presonus Studio ONE was the only DAW I considered a distant second to SPLAT.

And Studio ONE's Arranger Tabs is most likely the ONLY functionality that attracted me to Presonus Studio ONE that I always wished SONAR/CbB could do.

And so in my opinion, adding the Arranger track is probably the BIGGEST leap foreword for my personal workflow since SONAR 4 Producer for making my life easier.

Not to undermine any other improvements and most generous support provided by Bandlab since. They've ALL BEEN GOOD!

Thanks for continuing Cakewalk's tradition of adding something for EVERYBODY'S workflow enhancements. 🙏

Edited by Steev
  • Like 1