2020.04 Feedback

Changes to Delete Track:

• Delete Track only deletes the focused track if the focused track is not also selected.

What does this mean? "Selected" means that highlighted with clicking track number?
Seems "Delete Track" deletes the focused track even if the track is selected, or not.

This is part Feedback and a re-request for a feature.

I like the advanced options that have been added to the Insert Instrument Wizard; however, it would be helpful to have multiple midi tracks created when inserting a split midi track for a multitimbral soft synth instead of manually having to create them. 

At present for we can create (for example) 16 separate instrument tracks for a 16 part multi-timbral soft synth and midi track.  Unless I am missing it, we cannot create one track for a single 16 part multi-timbral soft synth with 16 separate midi tracks--unless we do it manually.

Thanks. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

This is part Feedback and a re-request for a feature.

I like the advanced options that have been added to the Insert Instrument Wizard; however, it would be helpful to have multiple midi tracks created when inserting a split midi track for a multitimbral soft synth instead of manually having to create them. 

At present for we can create (for example) 16 separate instrument tracks for a 16 part multi-timbral soft synth and midi track.  Unless I am missing it, we cannot create one track for a single 16 part multi-timbral soft synth with 16 separate midi tracks--unless we do it manually.

Thanks. 

You could do this once and save it as a track template.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

The new Arranger feature looks great but the transitions are not clean from one section to another.

An easy way to compare is to create a loop on 8 bars, play and  listen to the seamless playback.

Then create a section from the same 8 bars and drop the same section into arrangements 3 times then play the arrangement. 

I hear a definite gap when going back to the beginning of the section again. 

Hopefully it's an easy fix - really want this to work!

Cheers

Iain

Just completed our troubleshooting about my issue with project unable to load. Big thanks to @Noel Borthwick for helping! 

All users with WAVES OVOX plugin caution!

Do not update OVOX to latest version as it not works in Cakewalk! Its WAVES issue, they know about it and they are working onn solution.

From Waves Ovox page:

Cakewalk users:
The latest version of OVox is not compatible with Cakewalk. We are working on making it compatible soon. In the meantime, please refrain from installing or updating the latest version of OVox, as this may result in Cakewalk hanging. If you wish to install Ovox, or have updated prior to seeing this message, please contact Waves Tech Support, and we will provide you with the previous OVox version for installation.

Hope it will help others too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Royarn said:

Looking good so far, Big thanks to all concerned. Had to revert to Cakewalk theme as I couldnt read the words Proch in at the top of the inspector, otherwise until further experimentation I'm pleased with this version.

Roy

If you are using a custom theme made by other, most of them wew updated to the new CbB version. Search for it in the UI Themes thread:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/31-ui-themes/

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

You could do this once and save it as a track template.

I don't use templates--other than base project templates from which I derive variants of specific projects.  I am used to adding soft synths one by one as needed.  So, I can just continue to add the midi tracks as needed.  It would be easier to just add 16 separate midi tracks (or however many I need) all at once as the soft synths are added.

I did create a massive template for about 6 to 8 sound modules, each with 32 midi channels, but I found it was quite cumbersome to use and it is easier to just add midi tracks as needed. Was just thinking it would be nice to have in the wizard.

Having the wizard automatically create 16 instrument tracks (for example) with only one midi track probably works for different workflows.  I will look into changing my workflow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by User 905133

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I don't use templates--other than base project templates from which I derive variants of specific projects.  I am used to adding soft synths one by one as needed.  So, I can just continue to add the midi tracks as needed.  It would be easier to just add 16 separate midi tracks (or however many I need) all at once as the soft synths are added.

I did create a massive template for about 6 to 8 sound modules, each with 32 midi channels, but I found it was quite cumbersome to use and it is easier to just add midi tracks as needed. Was just thinking it would be nice to have in the wizard.

Having the wizard automatically create 16 instrument tracks (for example) with only one midi track probably works for different workflows.  I will look into changing my workflow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I quite agree with this contention.

I do find making a template useful and easy enough for my workflow in these cases, and actually just working with the instrument tracks and their concomitant MIDI/audio pairs is fine with me most of the time, BUT it is odd that if choosing Add Instrument with Split Instrument (for a multi-out synth) and choosing a multiple number of tracks to create, you then get multiple audio tracks and only one MIDI track!(?) Anyone opting for this scenario would be obviously wanting multi MIDI tracks sending to the multi outs, no?? So they would be in the position of having to then create the added number of MIDI tracks needed every time. I don't get it why the additional MIDI tracks aren't created by the wizard, given the new multi-out setup...

UNLESS, we could have one MIDI track and assign multiple lanes to the different necessary channels with their separate clips! But it doesn't work that way...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

it would be helpful to have multiple midi tracks created when inserting a split midi track for a multitimbral soft synth instead of manually having to create them

a single TTS-1 audio track and just a few MIDI tracks was all I needed today for quick writing down a song idea, I agree it would be handy to have that option in wizard

in this scenario it's not about processing separate audio outputs of multitimbral softsynth but to have MIDI tracks with clear overview while writing down an idea and working on it

• Like 1

I was getting tons of hanging and crashes with the new version.  Literally couldn't do anything.  Playback would only last a few seconds before hanging.

I came across a post about having to update the theme to the current version, because of a new fields.  Changed my theme to "pro Sonar 12 5", which I think is one of the defaults.  After that, everything seems to be working fine again.

7 hours ago, Giacomo Tarkus Sannino said:

Since the update I can't find anymore the volume and gain controls on the tracks. What's happened?

2020-04-25.png

Hello . . . there's a drop down menu at the top of track view (next to the "+" track button) . . . I usually always just leave this set to view "All" . . . but if you don't have "All" or "Mix" selected, you won't see volume, pan controls.

Bug to report:

I opened a project saved in the previous version and I see that every automation from each track is all added together and copied across all the tracks. So every track has tons of automations that I can't even get to show up in lanes, just shaded out in the clip view, since they're not even linked to that track.  See screenshot each track has the automations of all tracks on it.

automation.PNG

Edited by Ian

8 hours ago, iain mackenzie said:

The new Arranger feature looks great but the transitions are not clean from one section to another.

An easy way to compare is to create a loop on 8 bars, play and  listen to the seamless playback.

Then create a section from the same 8 bars and drop the same section into arrangements 3 times then play the arrangement. 

I hear a definite gap when going back to the beginning of the section again. 

Hopefully it's an easy fix - really want this to work!

Cheers

Iain

@iain mackenzieDo you have audio starting exactly at the start of the new section? Arranger preview is not sample accurate so you could miss hearing the start of the audio buffer where section jumps occur when running at high latency or if the project has very dense data. If you run at low latency the buffer loss is minimized and not perceptible in most cases. I tested this by recording a metronome click track and making sections at measure boundaries that deliberately jump around the timeline and it works perfectly with no gaps. The key is to run at low latency - in my test I ran it at 48 samples. See screnshot.

Also note that once you render the arrangement to the timeline it is now linear and at that point you wont have any issues.
We'll continue to improve preview in the future where possible.

arrsynctest.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ian said:

Bug to report:

I opened a project saved in the previous version and I see that every automation from each track is all added together and copied across all the tracks. So every track has tons of automations that I can't even get to show up in lanes, just shaded out in the clip view, since they're not even linked to that track.  See screenshot each track has the automations of all tracks on it.

@IanCan you share this project so we can take a look at it?

12 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

This question has been answered several times. A workspace is like a template/preset of configuration settings. Its normal for it to be restored to the state when the workspace was saved. If you want to customize a workspace you must make your changes and then save the workspace under a new name. Also make sure that the workspace is configured to save the settings you want. More info about workspaces is in the help. 

Alternatively set the workspace to "none" if you don't wish to use any customization presets at all.

I am having the same problem. I emailed tech support.