2020.04 Feedback

22 hours ago, Sean Aitken said:

Please fix the abhorrent Waves plugin Mono-Stereo bug. I'll re-open Cakewalk once I see this is fixed. I have too many projects I made in Sonar that make use of mono->stereo plugins. (Ya know.. like adding a chorus to a vocal... or delay to a guitar.. )

For those curious, it seems any Waves plugins that operate on a mono signal and output stereo now just output mono. It's apparently a known issue that's been around since late last year.

Automation or unit tests would catch this sort of a regression. Waves is a very popular plugin vendor and mono to stereo plugins are quite common.

FIX THIS!

@Sean Aitken I'm not sure what bug you are referring to. SONAR did not support mono in / stereo out plugins and neither does CbB yet. This is not a regression by any means. You can easily try adding any Waves mono in -> stereo out plugin to SONAR or CbB and it will only work in mono, because input and output interleave is always symmetric today. Waves is also aware of this.

As Jon mentioned, it so happens that we have been doing some extensive work with an overhaul of the interleave and bypass management and have addressed many longstanding issues. However I have yet to look at the mono - stereo processing case.   While I definitely agree that its desirable for this to work there are a bunch of dependencies that complicate it. I'll know when I look into it further.

• Like 6

On 4/25/2020 at 3:46 PM, Giacomo Tarkus Sannino said:

Since the update I can't find anymore the volume and gain controls on the tracks. What's happened?

2020-04-25.png

The default view in the track control manager is Custom.  Change it to All and you will see the volume, gain and pan controls

I tried the Arranger just to test it out. So I marked out my sections. All well and good.

When I tried an New Arrangement it started off okay but when I asked it to skip a section that was in my original track and told it to play the next one instead it didn't play smoothly, it kind of paused / glitched before it played it.

I didn't really have time to mess as was on a deadline but wanted to know if anyone else had any similar issues ? 

Also several times when I have disabled or re-enabled all FX it has crashed.  Sorry I haven't taken any screenshots, if if does it again I will.

Loving the "copy/paste settings" on the ProChannel modules. Would love even more an ability to copy/paste an entire ProChannel between tracks. Yes, I can save a preset and load that preset to the other channels, but would prefer to do so without involving a file dialog. There's already too many presets in that folder and don't want to clutter it up with my own -- particularly when they aren't necessarily something I'd use in another project.

By any chance... have you messed up automation? I can't make automation work by any means. It does record the changes I make, but doesn't read. Never reads. There's absolutely no way to make the automation track on the image to be read.Puta-madre.jpg

18 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Sean Aitken I'm not sure what bug you are referring to. SONAR did not support mono in / stereo out plugins and neither does CbB yet. This is not a regression by any means. You can easily try adding any Waves mono in -> stereo out plugin to SONAR or CbB and it will only work in mono, because input and output interleave is always symmetric today. Waves is also aware of this.

As Jon mentioned, it so happens that we have been doing some extensive work with an overhaul of the interleave and bypass management and have addressed many longstanding issues. However I have yet to look at the mono - stereo processing case.   While I definitely agree that its desirable for this to work there are a bunch of dependencies that complicate it. I'll know when I look into it further.

I have absolutely no problems with Waves plugins running in CbB on my computer. However I DO periodically check for updates for both Waves Central, and the plugins themselves. This is VITALLY important if you are running and mixing older VST2 versions of Waves plugins with the newer VST3 Version 10 and trying to run them at the same time in a DAW project..

And ALWAYS manually RESCAN all VST plugins in Cakewalk anytime ANY plugin is UPDATED.

There has been a NEW CRITICAL RELEASE update 11.0.58 for Waves Central.

1.) Make sure you are running the latest version of Waves Central INSTALLED.

2.) Check for AND UPDATE ALL Waves plugins even if they are no longer supported for "version" updates.

3.) Open Cakewalk by Bandlab and rescan ALL VST plugins.

If that doesn't stop your problems, MANUALLY uninstall and reinstall any Waves plugins that are causing the crash.

If you aren't sure which plugins are causing the problems, uninstall & reinstall ALL OF THEM.

On 4/26/2020 at 9:12 PM, Sean Aitken said:

Please fix the abhorrent Waves plugin Mono-Stereo bug. I'll re-open Cakewalk once I see this is fixed. I have too many projects I made in Sonar that make use of mono->stereo plugins. (Ya know.. like adding a chorus to a vocal... or delay to a guitar.. )

For those curious, it seems any Waves plugins that operate on a mono signal and output stereo now just output mono. It's apparently a known issue that's been around since late last year.

Automation or unit tests would catch this sort of a regression. Waves is a very popular plugin vendor and mono to stereo plugins are quite common.

FIX THIS!

I'm sure they will since you're asking so nicely... 😉

I realize this won't help your old projects, but I've never had to use mono->stereo plugins, since in Sonar/Cakewalk, on a track containing a mono wave file, you can just click the Stereo button in the Inspector (or Console, apparently)  and then start adding stereo effects. Works brilliantly!

From the manual:

"The Mono/Stereo button in each track forces the track’s audio signal to enter any patched plug-ins as either mono or stereo, whether or not the tracks are mono or stereo. This allows you to use either mono effects on a stereo track or stereo effects on a mono track."

• Like 1

Seems to open much quicker now on a W7 purpose built machine. And loads vst much quicker too. Have noticed that when trying to rename any sections on the arranger. It reverts back to the original title (section 1,2,3 etc). So not saving the newly titled parts. But not a biggie.

There seems to be a bug with multiple audio busses default name after moving one up or down in the chain of audio busses.  In unnamed default alphabetical names, the audio busses will keep changing letters(ascending and descending) if you move a different audio bus across it.  If the buses are both default alphabet, both the buses will exchange letters.  The assigned send's alphabetic letter will synchronize with the assigned bus identity change.  I usually do not name busses with abstract single purposes but perhaps it will be less confusing because sometimes I decide to double up different parts to make some parts more identical and such... .  .

Edited by vst power user

One thing I have noticed with the arranger is this.

Say you have multiple sections configured as an arrangement  (the bottom section of the arrangement inspector)- and those sections are configured to play out of order - in order for the preview to play in the order you've specified, the audio engine must be running.

This means if you have a MIDI only project AND the metronome is set to MIDI ( and hence the audio engine isn't running ), the arrangement preview will not follow the order you have set.  It will start at the first section defined until the end of the project.

To get the arrangement preview to play in the order specified,  you have to make sure the audio engine is running - that is, add an audio track, or set the metronome to use audio instead of MIDI.

So if you have set sections in the arrangement to play out of order and the preview isn't following the order specified - this could be the cause.  However, these days, most projects have audio components, so most people would not see this.

I have reported this to the Bandlab developers.

Firstly, there's no more weird characters on my Izotope Neutron track names anymore - thanks!

Secondly, there appears to be some weird mouse behaviour using the new Pro Channel top icons. I can hover over any of those ie collapse, show/hide arranger, docking options, etc and the hover text will randomly be that of another option. For example I hover over the 'Show/Hide Pro Channel' icon and the text may say 'Undock'.  Sometimes it may say 'Docking Options' or sometimes it correctly says 'Show/Hide Pro Channel'.  Anyone else seeing this?  

Most everything is great on the new update (I have the release candidate) but I noticed one thing that's different that is a small problem--I use Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 and previously, I could use the inspector's clip properties to identify which midi loop I used by it's full name by hovering over it at the top, but now it seems to just give me a truncated name--the clip itself has the name, but it's too small to read. I may be imagining this issue, but I think not. Later on I will see if I can pull up a screen shot if needed. 

14 hours ago, winkpain said:

Anyone else not able to rename Sections in the new Arranger when right-clicking section (or clicking section menu dots in Inspector) and then clicking  "Rename..."  ??

This does not work for me.

@winkpain - what  are you seeing when you click rename? Is it that the name edit box isn't appearing, or is it that the name itself isn't being applied?

If it's the latter, then it might be because you've not hit enter to apply the name - clicking away from the edit is seen as a cancel operation in the arranger rename.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 8:51 PM, Noel Borthwick said:

@iain mackenzieDo you have audio starting exactly at the start of the new section? Arranger preview is not sample accurate so you could miss hearing the start of the audio buffer where section jumps occur when running at high latency or if the project has very dense data. If you run at low latency the buffer loss is minimized and not perceptible in most cases. I tested this by recording a metronome click track and making sections at measure boundaries that deliberately jump around the timeline and it works perfectly with no gaps. The key is to run at low latency - in my test I ran it at 48 samples. See screnshot.

Also note that once you render the arrangement to the timeline it is now linear and at that point you wont have any issues.
We'll continue to improve preview in the future where possible.

arrsynctest.PNG

I have noticed this same gap/transition issue with the arranger. It does not occur running a loop of the same section. Happens on a simple section which is not dense. I have not tried low latency, but if looping is fine shouldn't the arranger also be fine?

ps: This is a great feature once it gets sorted, so kudos to CW.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@winkpain - what  are you seeing when you click rename? Is it that the name edit box isn't appearing, or is it that the name itself isn't being applied?
If it's the latter, then it might be because you've not hit enter to apply the name - clicking away from the edit is seen as a cancel operation in the arranger rename.

Absolutely nothing happens when clicking on "Rename...". The menu just closes offering nothing more. No sub-menu opens, no highlighted name with cursor set to type in something new. Nothing.

Double-clicking the current name in the Inspector or pressing F2 both work for renaming sections, however.

This has been the case for me in all versions - EA 1, EA 2, and this final release.

Edited by winkpain

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I can confirm it works if pressing enter. On both my W7/W10 rigs. I must have been double clicking or something. So thanks.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:46 AM, Giacomo Tarkus Sannino said:

Since the update I can't find anymore the volume and gain controls on the tracks. What's happened?

2020-04-25.png

At the top left of the track strip ther is a tiny double arrow that looks like a fast forward or rewind button. That will open or close a column on the left that has the controls you want!