eLicenser Service Closes Down in 2025

satya

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, TheSteven said:

I've got a number of things on my USB eLicenser, including Cubase 11 (which I never got around to installing on my latest computer)...

Same here except I have Cubase 11, 12 and 13 Installed!

21 hours ago, Nitrate Audio said:

so  basically, protect that usb elicenser with your life.

HehHeh! Hellayeah!

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Nitrate Audio said:

so  basically, protect that usb elicenser with your life.

I think I have at least two.  Is Steinberg really stopping it?  I just think it's their online activation just rebranded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I think I have at least two.  Is Steinberg really stopping it?  I just think it's their online activation just rebranded.

They're stopping it. The text below (in italics) comes from the link above (lightly re-formatted).

What does end-of-service mean?

With the end-of-service of the eLicenser license management system, we are completing the transition to our new Steinberg Licensing system. Since its introduction in January 2022 we have integrated Steinberg Licensing in our products step-by-step and offered various options to upgrade your eLicenser-based products to the new system. If you are still using eLicenser-based products the end of the service will have several important implications:

• You won't be able to activate or reactivate an eLicenser-based product. If you still have an activation code for an eLicenser-based product you need to activate it before the end-of-service.
  • You won't be able to move a license from one USB eLicenser to another. If you have multiple USB-eLicensers and you want to consolidate the licenses onto a single USB-eLicenser you will need to do it before the end-of-service. Similarly, if you want to move a Soft-eLicenser license to a USB-eLicenser, you need to do it before the end-of-service.
  • Lost licenses cannot be recovered. If you have lost an eLicenser license, please get in contact with us before the end-of-service. It won't be possible to recover lost licenses after the end-of-service.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this notice.

I have Cubase 11, 12, 13 all on my systems, but now only use 13.  My issue is going to be Halion 6 (full version), which was on their elicenser Dongle.  I will now be watching for one of those Steinberg Update sales to update Halion 6 to 7 (right now it is $99).   It is sad that they will not allow you to transfer licenses from their dongle to their new system (but they say that it is incompatible).

Thanks again for posting this

C2

All of my VSL licenses were transferred to iLok.  No charge.

I think I still have GS4 and GVI on there which I threw away the install discs.

I guess there is no other use for the dongle now, just landfill.

Just another vender that downgrades authorization and makes customers more dependent! Sad, sad, sad, ... said! 😞

Well, I'm lucky that I have almost nothing from Steinberg, except the heritage of their goofy VST3 definition!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CSistine said:

I have almost nothing from Steinberg, except the heritage of their goofy VST3 definition

I think I tried a free version of Halion at one point and it was such a pain to set up the eLicenser thing for a free product and then once I got it going it was kind of crap anyway, UI way too small, couldn't locate the supposed plethora of free sample content....yeah, they can keep it. The licensing system gave me a bad vibe, I'm usually pretty easygoing on that front, iLok has never bothered me, but this eLicenser...it seemed like a half-a55ed imitation of iLok, which made me wonder why the hell they didn't just use iLok.

• Like 5

Is there any guarantee that usb dongles will keep working indefinitely after the servers shut down? DAW software preservation is very important.

2 hours ago, boxed said:

Is there any guarantee that usb dongles will keep working indefinitely after the servers shut down? DAW software preservation is very important.

Steinberg guarantee yes, as I read it. 

But the usb hardware  guarantee itself... Indefinitely? 😉🙃

On 5/2/2024 at 5:16 PM, kitekrazy said:

All of my VSL licenses were transferred to iLok.  No charge.

I think I still have GS4 and GVI on there which I threw away the install discs.

I guess there is no other use for the dongle now, just landfill.

How does one move an e-license to the ilok world? I have both. Thanks bruh! 

Posted (edited)

I have all the vengeance sound plugins on my elicenser. Are those transferable somehow to something else?

Also have my original refx nexus still on it.

Also have old versions of Cubase still on it.

Good to keep them all on it or best to transfer if an option?

Edited by Rational

I performed the migration of my WaveLab Elements 11 to the new licensing system, according to the video released.

The Activation Manager, the Download Assistant and the Library Manager had to be installed right away.

After I finished installing the WaveLab Elements version 11.2 in the new licensing system, I deleted the old eLicenser Control Center from my computer. But as soon as I started the Activation Manager again, it reinstalled the eLicenser Control Center to me.

So now I have four icons for maintain my only one Steinberg software.