No Cruise...Boooooooooooooooo

cclarry

So making a long story short....I didn't make it to New York due to flight cancellations (multiple)
and it was quite the ordeal.  Friday morning I checked in for my flight, and Friday night I double
checked everything before going to bed.  I woke up at 3:30 am to get to the airport, and upon
checking my emails found that my flight to LaGuardia had been cancelled!  So I immediately PANIC!
Then calm down and call American Airlines and explain that I have to be in New York for my cruise TODAY!
After being on hold for about an hour, they finally get me on another flight that has a layover in Charlotte
and leaves at 1 pm and arrives at JFK at 6:30 PM.  So I'll miss my bus tour, dinner, and broadway show
but still make the cruise.  So off to the airport I go.  Flight to Charlotte is on time and I arrive there at
3:08 pm!  YAY!  But, during the flight, I get 2 separate notifications that my flight to JFK has been delayed.
So now I'm arriving even later in the evening in New York.  So while sitting waiting for the next flight I get
3 more notifications that my flight has been delayed, and ultimately the LAST notification is that it has been
cancelled!!!  Now what?  So I go through a long line and they ultimately put me on "Standby" for an 8:30 pm
flight to LaGuardia.  So, while I'm waiting for that flight, it ALSO get's cancelled!!!  Back to the LOOOOOOOOOOONG line.
They tell me that the only flight now available to New York is Sunday evening or Monday.  I explain that I have to 
be in New York before 9 am to board my cruise.  They tell me that there is nothing that they can do!  So I tell them
that that won't work and to just get me a flight back to Detroit.  

They look for flight back to Detroit and get me on one at 7:30 am Sunday morning.  So I spend the night in the
Airport and get on my flight home and arrive back in Detroit at 9 am, and get home by 10 am.
Thankfully  I have Travel Insurance so I should get reimbursed for EVERYTHING!!!

What a fiasco!

Edited by Larry Shelby
  • Like 2
  • Sad 21
  • Meh 2

1 minute ago, Niky Serrano said:

I'm sorry but when things go wrong it's for a reason

Yes, is a fiasco, but if the problem has solution, is not a problem

It's just a disappointment

I said the exact same thing to myself...which made it a little (very little) easier to handle.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, mibby said:

Well, at least you're home and not out on your cruise in a hurricane.  Trying to be half full here.  Remember when you always wanted to fly during the summer because it was easier and less cancellations? 

With weather nowadays you never know.  My wife and drove to Grand Rapids Michigan last year the first week of November to run into a snow storm already. Thankfully we were almost at the hotel. We were either going to go in November or December to see an exhibit and we both decided we should go in November just to make sure we don't run into bad weather 😆

Glad you're safe Larry :D

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

I'm sorry you're dealing with that stuff, Larry.  I hope the travel insurance works out and possibly you can do everything  you planned at a later date. 

Thanx PC...I have 3 more cruises this year...but this one was kinda special due to it being New York, where I had never been before, so I was really
looking forward to it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Larry Shelby said:

Thanx PC...I have 3 more cruises this year...but this one was kinda special due to it being New York, where I had never been before, so I was really
looking forward to it!

Okay, I went from feeling bad for you to envious! Three more cruises???? You're living the life, buddy! Sweet! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not all cruises are created equal.

Some fifteen years ago I made a cruise from Cyprus to Egypt to see the pyramids. That was actually pretty scary. When we arrived to Egypt and made the bus transfer from Port Saïd to Cairo, we travelled in a convoy consisting of maybe ten buses. But not only were there armed soldiers travelling in jeeps in the front and in the back of the convoy, there was also an armed guard sitting next to the driver in each bus. Also, every ramp onto the highway all the way to Cairo was temporarily blocked by armed police in order to prevent possible terrorist attacks. Yowza. They had forgotten to mentioned that in the cruise brochure. :S

Still, the pyramids and the Egyptian Museum were great. A tick mark on my bucket list.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1