A FOOL`S LOVE

Paul Bush

Hi Chaps , so I deleted that badly named ``match made in heaven´´ re named it  ``A Fool`s Love´´ with lots of changes  and aslo managed to find the green button on bandlab so it should play , any tips, idea`s would be more than welcome cheers  paul

https://www.bandlab.com/user7005896328090268/a-fools-love-project-wave-59aebbe1?revId=7a1004f4-7717-ee11-907c-000d3a41ed52

so I just checked my bandlab and there it is again the ``private message´´...this is getting to be very anonying drop me a line if the link doesnt work . never had this trouble with soundcloud

Edited by Paul Bush
  • Like 1

loved the groove, loved the topic! Your vocal does it credit, and nice bgv's as well!

My mix ears picked out the snare, I think it could be louder and have a higher tamber generally, perhaps whatever snare reverb is going on could have that reverb return cut away more of thelow-end reverb?  It's inviting just a bit of mix mud.

Timing issues for the bass? Listen closely at :59 and at 1:25, I think the bass guitar is coming in just a bit early? That examination might help other parts of your song as well.

Your vocals really do carry it, though, and when the groove is in sync, it's working big time.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

lots of energy nice all around song.drums need to be tightened   up especially fill-ins.

so I just checked my bandlab and there it is again the ``private message´´...this is getting to be very anonying drop me a line if the link doesnt work . never had this trouble with soundcloud

i have trouble with bandlab and soundcloud i wonder if they really know what their doing??????????????????jack c

• Like 1

Hi Bjorn , thanks for the nice comments , I now know what Ive been doing wrong with all of my previous songs , Ive been using Ezdrummer and when recording I havent had the drums completely  dry  no overhead , or room ambience etc so they get lost in the wash (schoolboy error) this time everything was turned off making the drums really ``in yer face´´ direct ,making it easy to keep time ,then I added effects later , 

Edited by Paul Bush

20 hours ago, daryl1968 said:

Hi Paul. Really enjoyed the song. It reminded me of something Squeeze would have written. 

I heard timing issues here and there but as Tom says your vocal carries it. 

Hi Daryl, cheers, This song started it`s life out way too complicated and trying to be over clever so after three weeks .. I dumbed it down to three chords, fell over the easy riff and well the rest was easy , sometimes I try to write something completely different  and it ends up a jumbled mess , I had  a lot of fun with this one double tracking all the guitars (my self built Telecaster) and using just reverb and compressors . 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 11:16 PM, PhonoBrainer said:

loved the groove, loved the topic! Your vocal does it credit, and nice bgv's as well!

My mix ears picked out the snare, I think it could be louder and have a higher tamber generally, perhaps whatever snare reverb is going on could have that reverb return cut away more of thelow-end reverb?  It's inviting just a bit of mix mud.

Timing issues for the bass? Listen closely at :59 and at 1:25, I think the bass guitar is coming in just a bit early? That examination might help other parts of your song as well.

Your vocals really do carry it, though, and when the groove is in sync, it's working big time.

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom thanks for some really good advice , It makes it so much easyer to rectify when one states where ( time ) some of the faults lie , cheers paul

• Like 1

I'll say it again, you write great songs. This is another one. 

The bass and drum timing issues are minimal imho.  I can offer the solution I found when recording my VST bass and drum parts using piano roll view. The timing will be slightly off unless you Magnify the piano roll view to Maximum. At this view you will see that the placement of the bass and drum midi notes that appeared to be spot on timing ISN'T. Reposition them correctly, slight timing issue fixed. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

EDIT: make sure your piano roll view resolution is set to At Least 1/32 notes....if set lower you may still have timing issues depending on how fast the midi notes need to be played properly....heck, you may want to go to 1/64 notes but that's a lot of midi to edit....good luck!!!!

Edited by Larry T.
improvement.
  • Like 1

Thankyou guys , for so much encouragment and kind words , squeeze, elvis costello ,john mellecamp , wow ! I´m particually pleased with this one as it really wasnt going anywhere at first , but as soon as I got the guitar sound right it sort of fell into place  it`s just so a basic song, all instruments are analogue except the drums so its down to just playing it the best I can ..vocals were not too high so it was easy to sing ,it was a lot of fun to record . I´ll be taking all the tips on board and rectifying them before the master  ..although I wont be fiddling about too much with mastering effects  one can go too far .

thanks once again Paul

Great song.  It has all the elements of a great uptempo pop song.  I can't remember the original post but this one sounds great --- lyrics, instrumentation (ya -- the drums sound OK to my chronologically challenged ears, and your vocals are very good indeed!  Well done!!!

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 10:41 AM, Larry T. said:

The bass and drum timing issues are minimal imho.  I can offer the solution I found when recording my VST bass and drum parts using piano roll view. The timing will be slightly off unless you Magnify the piano roll view to Maximum. At this view you will see that the placement of the bass and drum midi notes that appeared to be spot on timing ISN'T. Reposition them correctly, slight timing issue fixed. Cheers🎶🎶🎶🎶

EDIT: make sure your piano roll view resolution is set to At Least 1/32 notes....if set lower you may still have timing issues depending on how fast the midi notes need to be played properly....heck, you may want to go to 1/64 notes but that's a lot of midi to edit....good luck!!!!

EDIT#2:

A few more things you may want to try to get the timing sounding good:

1. First off record two tracks: 1. an acoustic guitar basic track to the metronome and, 2. the VST drums that fit with whatever beat per minute time you decide is correct. You can mute these two tracks later but they will be your timing reference so as to keep all instruments on the same page.

2. Make sure Snap is enabled and set to at least 1/32.

3. I use SI Drums and they will play to whatever BPM that you have specified.

hope this helps🎶🎶🎶🎶

Edited by Larry T.

3 hours ago, Larry T. said:

EDIT#2:

A few more things you may want to try to get the timing sounding good:

1. First off record two tracks: 1. an acoustic guitar basic track to the metronome and, 2. the VST drums that seem to fit with whatever beat per minute time you decide is correct. You can mute these two tracks later but they will be your timing reference so as to keep all instruments on the same page.

2. Make sure Snap is enabled and set to at least 1/32.

3. I use SI Drums and they will play to whatever BPM that you have specified.

hope this helps🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks Larry , lots to consider there, I use ezdrums they`ve got super sounds but in the mixer the toms are not seperate they`re in stereo .not really good , i think with my next song , I´m going to turn all effects off the drums (like this one)so that they are bone dry and very distinct much easyer to hear  , its just a case of finding a system to work with and keeping to it cheers paul

• 2 weeks later...