InMusic Purchases Moog - Definitely No Deal

husker

Ugh....

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/moog-and-inmusic-new-chapter-innovation-and-collaboration-begins

"To our friends, artists, partners, collaborators, and community: 

It is my pleasure and privilege to bring you the exciting news that Moog Music has joined the inMusic family. 

With its diverse roster of innovative companies across the music technology space, inMusic is known for its dedication to developing quality performance and production instruments for musicians across the globe. We are thrilled to join this group of talented, like-minded people who support our mission as we continue to design and build the world’s best-sounding electronic musical instruments. 

Devoted to maintaining the sound, quality, and manufacturing philosophy that Moog is known for, inMusic is able to offer solutions to support the areas that have been ongoing challenges for our company as a small manufacturing business. This new partnership will enable us access to inMusic's efficient global distribution and supply chain network while providing inMusic and its affiliated brands with deep expertise in analog synthesis.  

With product development continuing to be led by Steve Dunnington, a long-time Moog engineer and former student of Bob Moog, we are proud to keep engineering, designing, and building instruments in our hometown of Asheville, North Carolina, USA.

Our new partners at inMusic, based in Cumberland, Rhode Island, will bring an extraordinary wealth of knowledge and experience to help bolster our efforts and build upon our 70-year legacy.

The recent conversations that I've had with inMusic CEO Jack O'Donnell have been inspiring, to say the least. Jack shared with me the stories of his first synthesizer, a Moog modular system, and the impact this instrument and Bob's vision have had on his career. We had the opportunity to host Jack at the Moog factory recently and share with him the passion and dedication our small team brings to our work daily. 

We are excited to introduce you to the many innovative hardware and software instruments our team has on the horizon. This partnership with inMusic will allow us to reach new communities and continue to push the boundaries of music technology. Finding a partner that honors our values, mission, and legacy is a great boon for our company and community.  

The future is bright for Moog and the incredible community that has embraced our instruments and all we stand for. We’re grateful for your loyalty and support along the way, and we can’t wait for you to see (and hear) all that’s ahead. 

Sincerely, 

Joe Richardson
President, Moog Music"

Edited by husker
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

What do you mean, no deal?  

You will soon be able to get Moog products as monthly freebies on Plugin Boutique!!   😃

Buy a cheap sample pack, get a Moog One free!!!!!

• Haha 1

Numark Electronics, Alesis, ION Audio, Akai Professional, MixMeister, Alto Professional, Sonivox, Air Audio, M-Audio, Denon Professional, Denon DJ, Marantz Professional, Marq Lighting, Rane, HeadRush, SoundSwitch, ArKaos, BFD, engine DJ, Stanton, and now Moog. Almost sounds like the owner of inMusic has as much GAS as we do (or is it CAS in this case?).

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 8

InMusic has a sad record for diminishing value in brands like SONiVOX and AIR Music Technology.   There was a period of six months or so back in 2016-17 when XPand!2 was given away for free at various places.  Then it was sold for $1.   It's a really good synth/rompler, but it sure devalued people's opinions  of it.

The SONiVOX strings were available at Plugin Boutique for $1 at that time.   A whole string library.  Okay, no legato... but a buck?

Maybe InMusic makes a lot of money doing this, but people put their heart and soul into these instruments and they were thrown in the bargain bin. 

And look at SONiVOX's Big Bang Cinematic Percussion. There's a huge bug--they've known about it for almost a decade and won't fix it.  So  the workaround used to be easy to find online, but I just tried and I can't.    Meanwhile they sell it for as much as $79.99.  Still a good deal the next time it's $9.99 or less, though, if the bug doesn't bother you. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

InMusic has a sad record for diminishing value in brands like SONiVOX and AIR Music Technology.   There was a period of six months or so back in 2016-17 when XPand!2 was given away for free at various places.  Then it was sold for $1.   It's a really good synth/rompler, but it sure devalued people's opinions  of it.

The SONiVOX strings were available at Plugin Boutique for $1 at that time.   A whole string library.  Okay, no legato... but a buck?

Maybe InMusic makes a lot of money doing this, but people put their heart and soul into these instruments and they were thrown in the bargain bin. 

And look at SONiVOX's Big Bang Cinematic Percussion. There's a huge bug--they've known about it for almost a decade and won't fix it.  So  the workaround used to be easy to find online, but I just tried and I can't.    Meanwhile they sell it for as much as $79.99.  Still a good deal the next time it's $9.99 or less, though, if the bug doesn't bother you. 

Yep, I bought a bunch of the AIR plugins years ago for cheap and -- like many any other users -- I had to do a Windows rollback to get my computer working again after installing one of them. I went to KVR and found that there was a thread from several months earlier and AIR's tech support acknowledged that they knew about the problem but hadn't fixed it. It was several months after that when the problem was finally fixed, but it is an experience that me and others should not soon forget. I own BFD Eco but never took the cheap offer to upgrade to BFD 3 for $49 USD both because of my experience with AIR and what I've read in the forums about people having years of problems with BFD3. Consequently, I don't look at Moog Music being purchased by InMusic as a good thing.  

It's also a good example of why I believe it's just as important, if not more important, for people to share their bad experiences with developers and their products as well their good experiences.  It can be really helpful to others. Only sharing our positive experiences is the easy path. No developers or fanboys get upset at you for sharing your positive experiences. Unfortunately,  that keeps most people from sharing negative experiences. But I think the Cakewalk forum is a pretty good environment  to do that. 

I suppose you could summarize that by saying that friends don't let friends buy InMusic software without sharing their own experiences. Friends, proceed with caution when you find out that InMusic owns the bargain priced software you are considering. It might not be as great as a bargain as it may first appear to be. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

And look at SONiVOX's Big Bang Cinematic Percussion. There's a huge bug--they've known about it for almost a decade and won't fix it. 

Do you mean the crash on MIDI input? If so, it's been fixed! I can't remember if I got the update from the Sonivox website or Plugin Boutique but it worked! So much nicer now!

Edited by Luc
  • Like 1

It's a mixed bag really, so I'm not sure this is a bad thing, as InMusic seems to let companies run themselves as they were. With a lot of brands you wouldn't know they are part of InMusic nowadays. Let's take a look at some, and this is just what I observe so I might be wrong.

- Numark? Seems to be where they always were, cheap mid-low range gear which is not bad, not great.
- Alesis? Still doing what Alesis did, mostly drumkits and MIDI keyboards. No devalue.
- AKAI? Gets some love, gets some hate. Mostly in the MPC range, which is still a staple in beatmaking. Although the Roland SP404MKII is gunning for that position. 
- M-Audio? No change at all and their latest MIDI keyboards have me looking at them again (I'm in the market for a small 32 keys MIDI keyboard). 
- Denon? Still a very worthy competitor to Pioneers reign in professional DJ equipment.
- Stanton? The STX seems like an upgraded copy of the Numark PT-01 Scratch and now I know why. They seem to have slimmed down, but I think that happened under their Gibson period in the last 5-6 years. They always were at the top of turntable cartridges and they may still be, I don't know.
- Marantz even managed to 'upgrade' their line/image to more high end stuff.

And that's the brands I'm familiar with, not counting Sonivox and Air. I think people stare at those 2 more than they should, looking at all the rest. So, they let Moog do Moog, profit from having that brand under their wing and Moog profits from their...distribution? That was an issue? I don't know. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sander Verstraten said:

In short they seem to be fine for Hardware brands, but on the Software side they'll just let the brands die? 

Even there I'm not so sure. Perhaps they lack in support for some of their older products (Xpand!2, TheRiser, Loom2, Hybrid 3, etc.)? But I never viewed them as high end stuff worthy of much more development other than keeping it working. If I look at the website of Air, they have been developing quite a few new products, stuff for MPC (now it makes sense), both VST fx and VSTi. So they are certainly not standing still. On the contrary, they are expanding their catalogue quite a bit. And from the look of it, not for the worst.

And now my brilliant move to make this topic suddenly in the right forum section, they have a sale!

https://www.airmusictech.com/virtual-instruments.html

• Like 1