Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

I have a proposal to make to friends of the community, considering that, apparently, at least not until now, registration and participation in the forum will still not be charged.

Therefore, I think we should leave this post aside and create a topic where we, users, could actually help each other.

The topic I propose is that it be an evaluative approach of all DAWs available on the market, considering prices, features, etc.

In my case, I live in Brazil to buy $1 dollar I pay R$5 reais, 1 Euro pays R$6 reais, 1 pound pays 6.50 pounds.

When DAW was free this financial reality did not exist.

Now yes ! Which, of course, must have been included in the world-scene assessments of its use.

35 minutes ago, Will. said:

The team is working on the "Software" not the website 🧐

36 minutes ago, Jesse Jost said:

You should also note that the forum website and our codebase have about as much in common as pineapple and a motorcycle.

Yet had time to change it to be this pixaleted mess and expect me to trust that you can do vector graphics properly.

• Meh 1

3 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Yet had time to change it to be this pixaleted mess and expect me to trust that you can do vector graphics properly.

There's so much talk about those pixels that I was remembering someone's comment on the forum that DAW is for music creation.

Unless I have missed something and have to learn to use PHOTOSHOP , COREL DRAW .....

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

In my case, I live in Brazil to buy $1 dollar I pay R$5 reais, 1 Euro pays R$6 reais, 1 pound pays 6.50 pounds.

Based on general pricing of DAWs out there, I'd expect to pay between 2000-2400 BRL and 4000-4200 BRL for a perpetual license assuming the currency prices for USD and EUR don't change.

• Like 1

Let’s think about this.

The Bakers don’t want Sonar to perform worse than CbB... so maybe we should give them the trust and faith that they too want it working well!

I know it’s hard for me, but a little patience is probably the best I can have right now.

I am very excited !

Edited by Keni
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Keni said:

Let’s think about this.

The Bakers don’t want Sonar to perform worse than CbB... so maybe we should give them the trust and faith that they too want it working well!

I know it’s hard for me, but a little patience is probably the best I can have right now.

I am very excited !

I think most of us still don't realize that the relationship has completely changed.

When the programs are free/free, what is created is a participatory, collaborative community, where everyone seeks the same end, which is the constant improvement of the program.

The company, unilaterally, which is its full right, will change this relationship.

It's kind of like a marriage where the couple owns a joint business and one of them files for divorce but wants to keep the business.

The relationship changes completely. It is no longer partnership/collaboration, but consumption with completely different relationship rules where even that affectionate codename (BAKERS) no longer makes sense.

28 minutes ago, Keni said:

Let’s think about this.

I am very excited !

I think most of us still don't realize that the relationship has completely changed.

When the programs are free/free, what is created is a participatory, collaborative community, where everyone seeks the same end, which is the constant improvement of the program.

The company, unilaterally, which is its full right, will change this relationship.

It's kind of like a marriage where the couple owns a joint business and one of them files for divorce but wants to keep the business.

The relationship changes completely. It is no longer partnership/collaboration, but consumption with completely different relationship rules where even that affectionate codename (BAKERS) no longer makes sense.

35 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

This is the actual graphic: CakewalkDiscusLogo.png.d287bac2bb999ec0a

(Obviously parts will look transparent on a white background like this, open it in a new window to see it)

As you can see, it's quite large, and bitmaps don't scale as well as vector graphics, which is the entire reason they're updating the UI on Sonar.

Additionally, this forum software is made by https://invisioncommunity.com/  Every forum is different but every one I've used so for or have been admin on has recommended large graphic sizes so they can be resized down properly by the forum software. This is something that should be taken up with them, not Bandlab.

Also, this is what I'm seeing on all of my machines:

CtMCqlY.png

I dunno how it looks on your machines but this is scaling pretty well for me for a bitmap image, and much less pixelated than the one you posted. Perhaps your browser or display scaling is set incorrectly?

At this point, I'm honestly unsure if you're trolling or not. I think Jesse spelled it all out pretty well earlier.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

What part of "the people who work on the DAW don't create the website" is so hard to understand?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Milton Sica said:

Upon being paid, it enters the market where the cost/benefit ratio is evaluated.

I fully agree. After all, having to rely on third-party plugins or applications to perform functions that are native to other paid DAWs is something I believe they are working very hard to bring to the new Cakewalk Sonar DAW. I hope that the suggestions for improvements and workflow that have been presented to Cakewalk since 2019 are implemented and not overlooked. Otherwise, we will see a major exodus of users (which I find obvious). When it comes to paying, competition becomes strong and opens up a range of other options. I am eager to see the new Cakewalk Sonar and whether it will be worth the investment in 2023 or if it would be better to switch to another paid DAW.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:
11 hours ago, Helios.G said:

Just saw a preview of pricing.  Apparently $499 is the price for the top tier level.  It scales down from there.

By all means get your information from an out-of-date google cache. This is almost certainly archaic pages from the olden times. The image in the preview and the other text refer to Sonar Platinum.

Wow, those were the times. I paid slightly above $100 for lifetime updates on biggest discount and was watching every penny closely on both sides before spending. Decided to go for it mainly to get things like Addictive Drums 2, Pianoteq or Melodyne, in addition to the full Sonar version, but also because I realized that I wasn't in position to shell out a hundred or more $$ every year for keeping the DAW current.

One also has to figure in how much time and cuss jar fees are involved in learning a new DAW.  If you get older such becomes a real time suck.  I can barely find time here at home to work on music.  I certainly don’t want to spend that time re-wiring my brain when I could be creating.  And at this stage of my life I can afford money over time and whatever Cake charges doesn’t touch the hardware here at home.  Just got a new mk5 ultilight to use with last years summing mixer.  And that doesn’t include other software like pigments and and the new crop of granular reverbs which all  run les than $100.  But for most of my career such was real money and a much bigger investment, so I am sensitive, but also cakewalk or whatever we decide to call the company and software needs to live too - otherwise I’ll spend all my time learning software instead of using it when they go the way of the dodo Gibson.

for giggles I’ll put out a spec sheet:

Next - I’m not sure what it is.  A step up from the free Bandlab software? Maybe pay.  Hopefully you can use it on the Mac so cakewalk can have an in there.

And the new Sonar, stripped down or for owners of previous or paid versions maybe  $100.  Maybe $200 for new users if it includes some starter native effects.  The pc eq is great, the 1176 is usable and the ssl buss is great and as good as you are going to find natively.

then as stated above you could bundle the synths and other fxs.  Comes with rapture super pro for another $100.  A whole synth bundle with Zeta2 and some new libraries another $50.  The la2a comp (another very good emulation) and some special stuff like the aforementioned granular synth, as well as a good, naive and natural reverb.  Even tho I’ve spent plenty of money on those a good bundle would be hard to skip.

plenty of other ways to skin the DAW.  But if you bought Sonar years ago you can’t really think 6 years of upgrades don’t need paying for, well, you get what got (I’m assuming cakewalk by Bandlab will still work for a while).

a sensible price will keep most users and cakewalk can continue to add features and toys that most of us will eagerly lap up.

what do you think will work?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

1 hour ago, Lord Tim said:

I dunno how it looks on your machines but this is scaling pretty well for me for a bitmap image, and much less pixelated than the one you posted. Perhaps your browser or display scaling is set incorrectly?

I think you’re both right; it simply depends on which browser you’re using. In Chrome the logo looks good enough, but in Firefox it looks quite pixelated.

<nerdy-details>It's because BandLab in the css selector #logo used the declaration “image-rendering: crisp-edges”. Chrome says that's an invalid property value and simply ignores it, while Firefox accepts it but turns the logo into an 8-bit  experience. </nerdy-details>

Oh, well. There are bigger problems in this world right now.

• Like 6

With all the talk about the good, the bad and the ugly *everyone* seems to overlook the greatest thing Meng ever did.

He carried forward my post count from the old forum.

That alone gets my money for the next SONAR version.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4