SHE SAID SHE LOVES ME

freddy j

In a good faith attempt to bridge the uneasy truce that I have with things synth/MIDI, I tried to do a song using MIDI instruments/voices.  I ended up having fun doing this and got a bit carried away.  The result is this song.  I know that the intro violates the basic rule of popular music (no long intro's) but I got carried away with my self indulgence.

Anyway, any input will be much appreciated!  Thanks!

SHE SAID SHE LOVES ME

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

• Like 5

Good song 👍. my 2 cents....

you are correct, intro is a bit long

intro from 00:00 to 00:09 has two noticeable drum edits, seems like the song really begins at 0:10

introduce the guitar riff you play around 2:47 to the intro, or maybe after the first verse....it's a good riff, i'd use it more

bass needs to be louder/clearer

you have a good handle on writing horn parts, maybe that 4 note horn riff at the intro can be played a little less often and write another horn part for some variation

cheers!! 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Another dontknowgenre song, I think you made your own genre now. After about .22 the mids lows instruments could be more distinct (maybe more eq separation?) to about 1.10 . Nice horn riffs. Good singing. More guitar riffs would be nice. Good song. Enjoy your all caps enthusiasm ! Enjoyed it

On 4/25/2023 at 9:32 PM, bjornpdx said:

always I like the upbeat feel of your lyrics Freddy

I agree!

On 4/25/2023 at 11:43 AM, Larry T. said:

introduce the guitar riff you play around 2:47 to the intro

It closes out the intro at 1:37.
She loves ya Freddy and I loves the tune just the way it is...

👍's 👏

t

• Like 1

I like the avant-garde vibe of this tune and the experimental nature of the arrangement.  This is what happens when you have so many ideas that you can't contain them.  What really stands out for me is your haunting vocal; you got that two part  harmony down.  Don't stop!!!

Hi Larry.  I did get a bit indulgent and carried away while doing this number.  The drums are from a track/clips that I got a very long time ago.  Especially in a live situation, I just love it when the drummer counts in a song with her-his sticks.  The count in was on the track, so I left it in.  Better judgement might have ruled differently.  Thanks for the tip  RE: the riffs.  When I pull up the working file to do some cleaning on this song, I will definitely look at adding more.  The bass --- yup, it could come up more.  Thanks for the suggestions - they are much appreciated!!

Hey John B.  I know the intro is too long and it does violate certain standards -but - I was getting along with my MIDI nemesis so well and having so much fun that I just got carried away.  Also I guess that I have been listening to too much Afrobeat music (the Chilean-Fela Kuti style) and those intro's go on for miles (I love it).  As far as the horns:  I used the free Saxophia VST for the saxophones   and NI Session Horns for the brass.  Thanks for listening and for your comments.  I appreciate it!!

Hi Treesha.  Genre, genre, genre --- It's all so confusing.  Perhaps just making up a category and putting everything that do in it would be a good strategy!?..??  Kinda like my junk bag.  When I start using more than 4 or 5 instruments I do have a problem with separation and individual volumes.  Something to work on when I pull up the working file to do some cleaning up.  Being a guitar guy, I couldn't agree more with your statement about more guitar riffs.  Thanks very much for listening and for taking the time for commenting!!

Hi Bjorn.

On 4/26/2023 at 12:32 AM, bjornpdx said:

Actually I liked the long intro.

You liked the intro!  Well bless you!!!!  I shall have to take a look at the drum hit that you mentioned.  As mentioned above I used a drum track and clips that I got a long time ago.  Given the nature of what the drummer was doing and the fact that  I had to change the tempo, it was hard for me to match the song to the drums.  Thanks very much for your comments and I appreciate the encouragement!

• Like 1

Great stuff Freddy ! Really like your vocals on this one, lots of character there, and well written horns. You got a catchy reminiscent guitar lick in there which works very well . . . hey, the intro is about 1/3rd of the whole song . . . so, technically it's called an overture, LOL 

Hi Jack C.  Thanks for listening and the kind words.  BTW I enjoyed your most recent post.

Hey tom.  As always, I very much appreciate your insight and comments.  After all these years of marriage I still like to hear her say it.  Thanks again my friend!

Hi Lynn.  Thanks very much for the encouragement pal!  When it comes to matters MIDI/synth it still is a strained relationship.  However, with an implied handshake, the relationship is somewhat improving --lol.)  Thanks again.

Hey Nigel.  I am very glad that you enjoyed it.  Thanks very much for taking the time to comment.

Hi Noynekker.  An overture  ----  I didn't know that I was capable of such a thing 😀!  Thanks very much for your kind words and comments.  They are very much appreciated!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey! You had fun making it and I had fun listening to it. The lyrics are great. Putting aside all the good advice given here, I really liked the tempo and feel of this tune. There is so much room the dig into and have a blast with.  Pretty cool Freddy J! 

Hi Makke. Thanks very much for listening.  I appreciate the kind comments!

Hi FreeEarCandy!  Thanks! I certainly do not consider myself an artist!  I am just a guy who loves music and loves to try and make music.  When I'm not offering social comments (complaining -(lol) about something then I like to have fun -- sometimes combining the two.  I am always surprised if a song turns out OK.  I guess that is why I appreciate comments and suggestions received on this forum.  Thanks for responding and for your comments and encouragement!

Hey Daryl.  Thanks for listening and commenting.  I appreciate your suggestion concerning the length.  I cannot disagree but also fully realize that the length should probably be trimmed down even more than the hair on the ***** of a Nematocera (dipterid suborder). 😄 I appreciate the humour pal -- thanks again!!

• Like 1