Studio One is about to get the Shaft

cclarry

46 minutes ago, cclarry said:

They already have PRIME - the FREE Version, AND they have ARTIST, the scaled down version.  What am I missing?
Why didn't he just say "We're going to work on a new product" rather than say "we need to REMOVE features, make
it simpler, and more affordable"?  The very WORDS imply that it will be "Studio One", whether DERIVED or REPLACED!

I'm not GUESSING...I'm just stating EXACTLY what the article said.  Apparently THAT is "sensationalizing" I guess.
Sorry if it all this gets you riled up.  I'm just stating facts!  I don't live in "LA LA LAND", I read, analyze, and draw logical
conclusions....that being said...NONE OF US REALLY KNOWS....because AGAIN....it REMAINS TO BE SEEN!

I am NOT sensationalizing anything whatsoever...merely stating facts.  If that bothers you I can't help that...sorry!

At no point did he say or imply that they are going to only release simplified versions of the product in the future.
So your title is pure speculation as you clearly acknowledged yourself in saying that that "none of us really knows".
So why create a thread with a dramatic speculative title of "Studio One is about to get the Shaft".

He clearly focussed on something very different to the full Studio One based on his quotes:

”So my belief was that we can take the talent and the brand equity of PreSonus and create the equivalent of Fender Play for recording - ie, a product that’s globally accessible and very intuitive to use.”

“The brief, if you like, for an entry-level studio product, would be a digital equivalent of an analogue four-track recorder, right? And in fact, even that's too complicated because these days with digital, you can have a guitar and then hit one button and you'll get drums and bass, so you can sit down and just record intuitively.”

"The simplest version of Studio One right now has a 150-page owner's manual, which I have said to the team is 149 pages too many,”

Edited by Technostica

58 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I guess that's how you interpret it, as is your prerogative, but that statement seems pretty "iffy",
and I DID read the entire article.  Business people are "Politicians" for money.  They say LOTS of things.
For instance "Lifetime Updates for Sonar Professional", and THEN the company goes belly up!
Had it not been for Bandlab we ALL would have basically been played for fools (which we were!) and had to move on!

Like I said before, when Cakewalk said "LIFETIME UPDATES" they meant the lifetime of the COMPANY - not OURS!
So technically they didn't "Lie" per se,  they just played POLITICS!

We can go back and forth all day....BOTTOM LINE....IT REMAINS TO BE SEEN....just like the article said!

You're not stating facts. Apparently and it remains to be seen are not facts, just gossip that anyone can interpret any way they want, even if you put those words in bold letters...

• Like 1

I can already see the teaser campaign........

Are you fed up with having all that stuff to play with ?

Could that be the real reason that you're not a global megastar ?

Wouldn't it be somehow better if you had knack all ?

You spoke and we listened.....

Welcome to Presonus Studio None.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

There could never be a DAW that is easy to use by everyone, because people learn in different ways and on various levels.  For one person to pick up stretching audio rather easily, it could be a nightmare for someone else to learn and vice versa.

Even if the DAW's manual was one page and it had the simplest of functions for use, someone would still have a problem learning a feature. 

• Like 5

Meh, barring future OS changes that can break existing versions, a lot of perpetual software on the streets today is more than adequate for years to come. As time goes by, the "new features" embedded into software gets less and less enticing.

There is a very valid point with GUI (simplicity) and being "user friendly"... when opening a powerful program to do its most basic function, it shouldn't require a lot of effort to do this; but this is where many applications fall short.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lemar Sain said:

Best case scenario, There's a Lite version on the way. Like Home Studio was to Sonar.

Worst case, they actually take away features. Which sounds crazy but I've seen this happen before. Recycle, UVI Player, recently Battery and Kontakt to a lesser degree. I hate when companies take away feature and call it an update. They actually put a couple back in Kontakt because users complained so loudly.

As a programmer, I can concede that in (very) rare cases a new feature might need to negate and old feature. But to just take a way a feature from your user base without confirmation that it's not used at all is utterly insane.

• Like 5

I did not take his words to mean they were getting rid of pro but trying to create entry point that is usable without reading an actual manual. The strategy in the past was to give out an an "entry level" version of the pro version which requires you to have an understanding of the pro product to use but with less features.  The core is identical but has locked features and less auxillary content.   A DAW is going to be pretty hard to document in a manual less than 150 pages considering all the hardware products it replaces.  Take every manual to every hardware console, processor, effect etc and you are still going to have a lot of documentation. For many of us, most if the manual is redundant. Most of us don't need a manual on an EQ and will simply start using from day 1.  Fender, like other hardware manufacturers in the past make the fatal mistake when getting into software business of trying to recreate nostalgia of the "good ol days" of buying a 4 track and having a few friends plug into a cheap mixer in the garage.  The truth is the customer base is too diverse for that to work. 

• Like 2

From business experience,  what the CEO said is not something I would make a leap to interpret as meaning he's planning on majorly downsizing the flagship product. He definitely appeared to want to tease an idea to the general public that he thinks making a DAW simpler will gain more market share, and I agree. I don't think that means the company would bail on the top of the line product.  In fact,  I think it could help ensure the longevity of the software brand.  

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1

The worst case scenario is to dust off the credit card and head to the Steinberg shop... :)

The cheapest scenario would be to spend more time with your backup DAWs if you got 'em, just in case.

*Edit: the worst, worst case would be if you decided you needed to buy a Mac so that you could buy Logic Pro. The bonus there is that you would get Garage Band for free!!! 🤣

Edited by abacab
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Any substantial changes at PreSonus are probably a long way off, and likely nothing to be too concerned with until more is known.

But I will add that this quote from the Fender CEO tells me that he really knows nothing at all about DAWs, or the recording process. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in him or any of his ideas regarding the product line. A Fender guitar might get away with a one page user manual, but a DAW? 🤣

Having dabbled in recording myself, I’ve never found a DAW I didn't need an MIT degree to actually use. You shouldn't need to spend more time figuring out how to use a DAW than you do creating."

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, abacab said:

Any substantial changes at PreSonus are probably a long way off, and likely nothing to be too concerned with until more is known.

But I will add that this quote from the Fender CEO tells me that he really knows nothing at all about DAWs, or the recording process. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in him or any of his ideas regarding the product line. A Fender guitar might get away with a one page user manual, but a DAW? 🤣

Having dabbled in recording myself, I’ve never found a DAW I didn't need an MIT degree to actually use. You shouldn't need to spend more time figuring out how to use a DAW than you do creating."

Sincerely,  when I read that it sounded like he was repeating the typical kind of line you hear from a CMO (chief marketing officer). When a CEO sits down with a journalist, PR sets it up. Yes, it would be completely unsurprising if the CEO isn't very tech savvy,  but everything about that line reflects that the CEO is hinting at something already in development. You can bet that they're going to be making a product announcement in the near future otherwise the CEO would never have made that statement-- he'd be ripping on his own company's product. There is a chance that they could abandon the existing product line, but I seriously doubt that. I think it's a very good sign that they're investing in their DAW. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Sincerely,  when I read that it sounded like he was repeating the typical kind of line you hear from a CMO (chief marketing officer). When a CEO sits down with a journalist, PR sets it up. Yes, it would be completely unsurprising if the CEO isn't very tech savvy,  but everything about that line reflects that the CEO is hinting at something already in development. You can bet that they're going to be making a product announcement in the near future otherwise the CEO would never have made that statement-- he'd be ripping on his own company's product. There is a chance that they could abandon the existing product line, but I seriously doubt that. I think it's a very good sign that they're investing in their DAW. 

Thanks for offering some insight/perspective from the marketing side of things, Peter

• Like 1

How do you guys find Cakewalk compares? I bought a top of the line Studio One license back when it looked like Cakewalk was dead. I used it several times.  It was easy enough to use, but I stuck with Cakewalk and I like it. I'm just wondering the reasons those who choose Studio One find it superior to Cakewalk. 

4 hours ago, jesse g said:

There could never be a DAW that is easy to use by everyone, because people learn in different ways and on various levels.  For one person to pick up stretching audio rather easily, it could be a nightmare for someone else to learn and vice versa.

Great point.