Studio One is about to get the Shaft

cclarry

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

That could be the bottom line.

Yep. The good news is that the DAW market is healthy and growing. Here's a summary of a study, if anyone is interested. Of course,  PreSonus's CEO's remarks that inspired this thread were focused on new, entry level users, and this research is much more broad, but the summary might be of interest to anyone following this stuff. 

https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/Market-Reports/digital-audio-workstation-market-266138785.html

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 10:06 AM, Technostica said:

He wants Garageband as well as Logic, not instead of.

I stopped reading this thread a while ago, but every time I see it I keep thinking of this comment: GarageBand and iRig on an iPad was my re-entry into recording about 8 years ago. It doesn't get much simpler than that. (Unless you want to export the tracks!)  I think  Presonus is set up very well to do something like that, only better IMHO.

• Like 2

If I bought an entry level product and knew there were other capabilities in a higher level product I could take advantage of if I moved up, I would be moving up. 

Others don't seem to think that way. They are content to lay sound down, use basic plugins and DAW software.

Some might eventually 'work into' a more feature rich program as they see the need for it. I have always seen a potential need and acted based on that, and yes a lot of it is probably overkill for me.

After a lot of failed experiments I don't think touch pad anything is going to be the answer, so i pads, and i phones or android equivalents are just little gizmos that make working in a DAW more difficult most of the time. As an ADDITION they seem ok for some things, but not as a program centric thing. I tried a bunch of that stuff early on and didn't connect with it. Sure if I were living in a mini house and didn't have a computer and the ONLY thing I had was a smart phone I guess I would have no choice. Other than that though, there's no beating workflow properly set up on a desktop DAW. 

No matter what you use, EQ , compression and mixing chops will never change. At some point you might be given a menu based on genre. "Ballpark" smart plugins. This is why I think music is stooping to even lower levels in quality.

Edited by Tim Smith

56 minutes ago, Tim Smith said:

there's no beating workflow properly set up on a desktop DAW.

I agree with that, at least from my perspective.  However, I've been doing this for 20+ years and have invested the time and money to have a nice setup and learn what I'm doing.  I have friends who play an instrument who don't want to bother with anything complicated or spend much money, but like recording themselves and playing along with backing tracks.  They don't care about releasing pro-quality songs or learning to mix.  They just want to add some enjoyment to their playing, and they want to share it with their friends directly*.  So for that target audience, a really simple easy-to-use product is a great idea.  That can build the brand and bring in more revenue.  Some users will upgrade, some won't.  So as long as PreSonus keeps Studio One Pro going in the current direction and keeps this separate, it's a great idea.

* Sharing music with friends is part of what music is all about, right?  It's more "social" than just uploading it to SoundCloud with no promotion.  So if they can make that easy to do, that would be a big plus.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

So, the big challenge is getting those folks in the pipeline.  It's not a threat to us experienced DAW users. In fact,  if PreSonus doesn't succeed on winning over these entry level users, they're a lot more likely to bail on DAW software. 

20 hours ago, abacab said:

That could be the bottom line.

And so we may have come full circle to the title of the OP? 

I'll get me coat.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Bapu said:

And so we may have come full circle to the title of the OP? 

I'll get me coat.

No, that is incorrect.

My point is that IF PreSonus-- or any other software developer-- cannot continue to grow market share, they're likely not going to have a bright future as a DAW software developer. The premise of this thread was a knee jerk misinterpretation of an interview with the CEO not based in what the CEO said but founded in misunderstanding and unfounded assumptions. Abacab stating "that could be the bottom line" is affirming the statement I made that PreSonus needs to keep growing its customer base if it's going to remain in the DAW software market and that means it must pursue younger DAW users and it's critical to get the entry level products right. That, of course,  is a very different point than the original post. 

Edited by Peter Woods
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 1:53 PM, TW5011 said:

Sharing music with friends is part of what music is all about, right?  It's more "social" than just uploading it to SoundCloud with no promotion.  So if they can make that easy to do, that would be a big plus.

I would agree with that certainly and the other comments you made before it. I guess there are more levels to the spectrum. Not everyone will see that the same way. I believe most in this crowd and probably most any other crowd of serious DAW users will not see it the same. I always wanted to be both a better musician AND a better sound engineer, yet I have met plenty who had almost zero interest in the technical end. That's a spectrum too- The dedicated musicians and those with pipe dreams who can't play a chord.

I have never attempted to really promote myself because it made music unfun for me.:) You will notice I don't care if my site is linked here or not. Some of it is ok and some of it I should have probably deleted a long time ago. The profits from online music are so dismal it isn't worth my effort to put anything out. I share stuff sometimes.

Back maybe 5 years ago Soundcloud was a real community and musicians on it were actively sharing others tracks and taking the time to comment, then there was some kind of a shift there in ownership or something and whatever happened seems to have killed most of it. TBH I felt like a ***** liking some of the material there because I honestly didn't like it, but sometimes felt the need to comment on someone who had commented on my material. I eventually realized I just didn't have the time to listen to thousands of tracks and make objective comments or shares, so I sorta dropped out of that. I also understood it went both ways, with maybe some of my listeners gagging when they listened to my tracks.I just stopped most of it because after all, I didn't go there to listen to others tracks, I went there to post my tracks. I know that might sound self centered. I like a lot of it, but I just can't keep that ball rolling. There are people at home all day and THIS IS ALL THEY DO...listen to tracks and comment in return for the same (hopefully).Many of these people actually have pretty crappy music, but they made a lot of "friends" on SC. 

21 hours ago, Peter Woods said:

My point is that IF PreSonus-- or any other software developer-- cannot continue to grow market share, they're likely not going to have a bright future as a DAW software developer. The premise of this thread was a knee jerk misinterpretation of an interview with the CEO not based in what the CEO said but founded in misunderstanding and unfounded assumptions. Abacab stating "that could be the bottom line" is affirming the statement I made that PreSonus needs to keep growing its customer base if it's going to remain in the DAW software market and that means it must pursue younger DAW users and it's critical to get the entry level products right. That, of course,  is a very different point than the original post. 

I understood the vain nature of the title at the very beginning after the first few posts. I felt like maybe Larry put it up more as something fun to read and talk about....and we all might remember the past time the owner of a guitar company decided to make some "changes" with Cakewalk. *ahem*. That was an interesting ride for those who had invested in the Cakewalk program paying anywhere from 299-499.00 for it.

So maybe some can see a little apprehension in the title for those who are now vested in Studio One. It doesn't really bother me much either way.

I'll bet you a hamburger this is mostly smoke, but if some of it isn't, then I would be so very surprised if anything EVER happens to the flagship core program. It would be a kind of corporate suicide. 

Entry level can be any number of things. I mean, I can buy plastic screwdrivers and fake power saws. Yes I am being slightly sarcastic here to make my point.An entry level product can either make a company look better or worse.

I see the bandlab app as an entry level product that seems to work ok for many. It has a decent amount of functionality, but I would NEVER expect it to replace Cakewalk and probably one reason why Cakewalk was acquired.

What makes me wonder -why should the CEO even mention this at all unless it's hype, or maybe a way to gauge interest ahead of time? And when was the last time is was news when a 'lite' version comes out? " Yep here's the new Ford, minus air conditioning and the passenger seat."

So,,,,,it's smoke, either that of he was smoking something.

• Like 1