Fairfax

mark skinner

Here's a new one still in the works. First experience with Addictive  drums. I damaged a finger on my fretting hand so I'm leaning pretty hard on my one handed midi controller. I've done all I can do with guitars , may try a backing cello track. First time using the pc leveling amp , and I'm really liking the simplicity of it . I'm using basic included plugins, and nylon strung guitar.  All crits and suggestions are welcomed. I know it's pretty basic .     Thanks for the listen ..     mark       (The link now reflects remix #1)

https://soundcloud.com/user-810058643/fairfax-198

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

Mark, this is really nice. I like how you used the cello in a couple of your other songs and it would sound great in this one too.
So, "Fairfax" as in the drum kit in Addictive Drums?

Maybe you've already seen this, but Creative Sauce has a great tutorial on AD
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/31039-how-to-use-addictive-drums-2-in-cakewalk-by-bandlab/

-Bjorn

• Like 1

Thanks David and Bjorn. I only downloaded the free AD version to check it out , I'm definitely going to purchase it. I love how the cymbals take So long to decay. I've watched Mikes video a few times , as usual very informative. The song now sounds to me like backing tracks with the main instrument left out. I started a cello track early this morning , It's filling it in nicely.     Thanks ..  mark 

Can I say whilst the drums are interesting I, and this is just my own personally furry opinion, they are to forward once the instrumentation come in.  Thye feel like they need to mixed like and organ with a swell pedal.

• Like 2

This is a very cool sounding track. The drums are a bit too frantic for me and I agree with Wook, too out front. I like your idea though. I have recently been thinking of trying either addictive drums or ezdrummer 2, I feel like my Jamstix is limited in its flexibility.

• Like 1

The bass (excellent!) sounds like a blend between an upright and a fretless, which I know an upright is fretless! But it played like an electric fretless bass - pretty cool!

I would agree the AD drums have their advantages, one of which is they are the easiest drums to program well. Love that interface. I'd also agree to take them out of the front of your mix on this one. Sometimes the newest tool shines the brightest in the mix, because we are enamored of it.  :)

Your composition grooves for days, as yours usually do - always a pleasure to check out your latest!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

Thanks to Everyone for your comments and suggestions . It seems like everyone is in agreement about the drums. I'll definitely work on them before I finish the cellos. @PhonoBrainer Believe it or not the upright is from  Cakewalk Sound Center. I used the pitch wheel a lot and EQ'd to try and get a little fretless buzz. I'll keep plugging on ,  Thanks ..  mark

• Like 1

Hello , Remix #1 , I settled the drums down and moved them back a little in the mix. I'm not really sure if it was enough or too much. I also added cello on the chorus(s) and a few other spots. I feel better about it now. Thanks for getting me this far. Any more crits and suggestions ane more than welcomed.  Thanks again ..   mark

• 3 weeks later...