Backstage Pass and Sonar Pricing

On 4/3/2024 at 1:09 PM, Terry Kelley said:

While I personally think we are being “strung along” at this point,  I don’t think it’s the developers doing it and I get the impression they would give us everything we want - if they could.

I understand that users want to get definitive answers on final pricing and purchase options, but please don’t read too much into this,.
As mentioned earlier, BSP was the quickest way we could make it the software available to users while all the other moving parts are sorted out for an official release. The wait to final releasse was completely expected to be a few months. BandLab is a big company and Its not just engineering - management, marketing, back end, social, support, all of those have to be coordinated to make it happen.

Our team would obviously like this to happen sooner than later and we’ve done our part to communicate whats needed within the org. If you need it now go ahead and use BSP, or wait for the final announcements on purchase options. Its pretty simple.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Its pretty simple.

Probably would have been more simple to have not said anything at all until everything was in place. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, paulo said:

Probably would have been more simple to have not said anything at all until everything was in place. 

I completely agree with this.
In fact, "pricing" as stated was already a very poorly thought out strategy, but.....

4 hours ago, Milton Sica said:
5 hours ago, paulo said:

I completely agree with this.
In fact, "pricing" as stated was already a very poorly thought out strategy, but.....

I also agree... but I think it's the hand-wringers who should not have said anything. 🙊

• Great Idea 1

Well, the sale price for annual membership is a fair price and it comes with Sonar and the membership extras (which I do not care about).  $105 for a year - with this discount that expires April 6 - two days from now.

Will the price several months from now be less?  No one knows.  I really appreciate Noel's recent response.  He is a class act.  And frankly between him and other Bakers,  the real extra perk is the fantastic customer support on issues and the like.  I know I have made requests privately and they have gone out of their way to help me.  I imagine there are many other great things they do that do not get publicized.

• Like 7

I believe you can cancel the Backstage Pass at any point, if something else is offered that makes more sense for your personal situation, limited time demo if you want. In reality, it's only a discount of about $5.00 for the first month.

Anyways, it's a chance to support BandLab, who have offered an amazing free DAW for 5 years, ain't that worth something ? . . . especially if you want to continue working on your existing, and older projects.

For those of us who have made the plunge to new Sonar, we get it, it's totally clear where things are going after working in the new version for a few weeks, the new clarity is not just the vector graphics, it's also the less cluttered GUI. Everything is in the same place, just a few adjustments visually. Bring on the feature enhancements.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, noynekker said:

Anyways, it's a chance to support BandLab, who have offered an amazing free DAW for 5 years, ain't that worth something ? . . . especially if you want to continue working on your existing, and older projects.

NOPE. Do you really believe the plan was not to have a viable product to SELL at some point? Of course it was. Also, nothing wrong with that-smart business!

So in my opinion CW by BL has had over 4 years to come up with a sales plan.

Also, I imagine NONE of the long time CW users like me (35 yrs) and many others didn't ask or care that it was free.

I would have gladly paid for it. Just sayin!

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

NOPE. Do you really believe the plan was not to have a viable product to SELL at some point? Of course it was. Also, nothing wrong with that-smart business!

So in my opinion CW by BL has had over 4 years to come up with a sales plan.

Also, I imagine NONE of the long time CW users like me (35 yrs) and many others didn't ask or care that it was free.

I would have gladly paid for it. Just sayin!

For sure, folks who love the software will pay, I never believed free could be sustainable . . . I'm just saying, looks like it's moving towards more of a partnership with BandLab, brand new marketing plan, and Cakewalk will have to re-join the reality of the DAW wars, and find and develop new features to stay afloat.

Just now, noynekker said:

For sure, folks who love the software will pay, I never believed free could be sustainable . . . I'm just saying, looks like it's moving towards more of a partnership with BandLab, brand new marketing plan, and Cakewalk will have to re-join the reality of the DAW wars, and find and develop new features to stay afloat.

Trust me, I want CW\Sonar to survive and flourish-Honestly!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, David Baay said:

Probably best not to get in the habit of abbreviating it that way. The trolls will have a field day with it.

might be a dev-team in-joke ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2024 at 10:09 AM, Terry Kelley said:

While I personally think we are being “strung along” at this point,  I don’t think it’s the developers doing it and I get the impression they would give us everything we want - if they could. We can bitch at them until the cows come home and all they can do is pass it on. Why bother them with that. 

Talk to Bandlab directly.

I was a developer and development manager for many years and we had little direct say in the pricing and rollout other than giving an opinion. It was marketing, sales and finance that drove the pricing and rollout. 

I'm not suggesting the "bakers" are responsible.  

This is the forum I am on, this is the one where we talk about the product, if Bandlab isn't somehow incorporating this feedback it is not my job to do their sentiment analysis and so forth for them, nor to chase after wherever they might be when this is very clearly a forum they know people are voicing opinions (PS - more specifically, come for support, which will beget a lot of feedback with it; it's their job to review that correspondence, and if they aren't, that says a lot about the company and direction; it also tells me then there's no point in voicing anything at all to them).

Edited by Quinellipe Zorn
clarity
  • Thanks 1

If you do nothing, expect nothing.  I too hope these comments and concerns make it up to the Bandlab marketing and finance folks. But it’s clear that Bandlab has a vision that isn’t shared by everybody here.

We will see.

Edited by Terry Kelley

And now for something rather off-topic:

Remember OS/2 and Windows 1.0? That was a soft rollout! Microsoft kept us hanging for a loooooonnnnngggg time while poo-pooing OS/2.

Not that any DAW represents OS/2 mind you.

8 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

And now for something rather off-topic:

Remember OS/2 and Windows 1.0? That was a soft rollout! Microsoft kept us hanging for a loooooonnnnngggg time while poo-pooing OS/2.

Not that any DAW represents OS/2 mind you.

And technically OS/2 was miles ahead of Windows (in some areas it still is)!

A pity that it failed to compete, because not enough 3rd party software was supported!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CSistine said:

And technically OS/2 was miles ahead of Windows (in some areas it still is)!

being very primative helped. i know some PC-based "servers" which ran (stable) almost 20 years without being rebooted. but it was butt-ugly and IBM had already lost the lead to MS who got the contracts... the PS/2 otoh when combined with the OS/2 was rock solid, and very flexible and required almost no tools to configure (physically).

• Like 1