Backstage Pass and Sonar Pricing

I seriously doubt Bandlab will come on this forum to argue. Go to them directly. The developers aren't responsible for representing the marketing plans of Bandlab. Posting about it here is pointless. The developers have plenty to do. Let them do it.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 4
  • Great Idea 2

17 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

Perhaps another possibility is that Bandlab has bigger fish to fry at the moment.

This ^^^is what I think. The problem for users is, the biggest fish we have to fry is the one installed on our computers: CbB/New Sonar.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 5:10 PM, John Vere said:

They will loose a few but my guess is they have already added a million new users! So saying you are switching to another DAW just because you don't like what is happening is sort of pointless to me. Just sit back, take a long draw on the reefer and relax! It's all just for entertainment! I'm still making some great music and it's been free for so so long I could care less about the stinking $15 a month fee. And I might just try using Bandlab as my Distribution server. Distro KId  ( guess the You Tuber who recommends we sign up for that is??)  just gave me a deposit for $5.35 after 4 months. And they took 30% ( american) taxes off that! I'm pulling my songs. I'm totally being ripped off and they run away with my annual fee. So I;ll see what happens with Bandlab. There are probably all Sharks. Fins Up everyone!  

@Terry Kelley 100% agree with

👍

I think it's suitable for people to complain here.  If the complaints here are not heard, that's not on the consumers, that's on the company.  

• Meh 1

On 3/21/2024 at 9:59 AM, John Nelson said:

So far, users have to wrap our heads around,

1. The announcement was made, what, nine months ago?  It's uncommon to say the least for a rollout to take this along. Especially since....

2. There really are no feature updates. Just a HiDPI update and some bug fixes, which is expected from any product.

3. There has been zero clarity as to how much the thing will sell for and how it will be paid.  The "pssst, over here" Bandlab sneak peek thing is lame. Sorry, it just is.  Someone who subscribes to Bandlab just for the Sonar access might end up paying twice one the real pricing is rolled out.  This is the weirdest, softest rollout of any software I have ever seen, bar none.

4. And Bandlab...some legacy Cakewalk Plugins and Virtual Instruments aren't really worth much of anything in 2024. Session Drummer?  Concrete Limiter? C'mon man.

Precisely.  

"This is the weirdest, softest rollout of any software I have ever seen, bar none."  

• Like 3
  • Meh 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:08 PM, Terry Kelley said:

The "Bakers" don't have any control over the rollout plan. They said it before and can say it again. They aren't setting the prices and terms - Bandlab is. We should be sending emails and comments to Bandlab and let the developers work on the program in peace.

The problem with these types of "get your music heard" subscriptions is they don't work. Of the people I have spoken too about Bandlab, Landr, Soundcloud, etc. people rarely go there to find new music. They hear it elsewhere and go to these place to find what they heard.

Now many of these places do distribute your music to various sites (Youtube, Amazon, Spotify,  Pandora, Jango, etc.) for a cost (to you) but in the end, playing live is how you get exposed. Tossing a bunch of tracks on Soundcloud and then having them distributed will pretty much get you nothing - most of the time. There are some success stories but they are rare.

I really don't want to have to buy/pay/rent/subscribe to sites like this. I want a DAW. It's simple. A DAW. Bandlab is not a carrot.

If Bandlab isn't watching this forum, that's Bandlab's problem.  

If "the Bakers" are interacting here, it's also their obligation to provide feedback within their company based on those interactions.  A company official cannot transact with customers and then disclaim it isn't their role to provide feedback, or such.  (And I'm not suggesting whatsoever that the engineers are making such disclaiming, and I have full confidence that they provide feedback.  If not, well, that's on the company.)

• Meh 1

On 3/22/2024 at 4:39 PM, Jimbob Blues said:

This horse just will not die, will it?

I think it's difficult to tell if anyone's really listening; if so, it shouldn't die, but if they aren't, then, to your point, it's indeed beating a dead horse.  Hard to say.  I proceed in hopes that the company is all ears.

• Meh 1

2 minutes ago, Quinellipe Zorn said:

I think it's suitable for people to complain here.  If the complaints here are not heard, that's not on the consumers, that's on the company.  

There are many ways of expressing dissatisfaction with the status quo.  

status quo = the existing state of affairs

IMO, it's on the complainers not the company (to borrow your wording) for distorting the current state of affairs. I would rather the Bakers spend their time continuing to make daily improvements in the new products instead of paying attention to all the noise.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1

I'm not necessarily against a subscription model.  I'm not necessarily against a Bandlab membership model.  Will just wait and see.  I don't see a reason to lose time on projects in preparing for a change when it's so speculative, for my own/our situation.  Worst case I pay for an unwanted year or such of some subscription while looking at alternatives, which I'd rather do than lose time on projects now.

That said, Bandlab has all the earmarks of a company that emphasizes growth to then do a hard "enshittification," as the term has been popularized.  But, hey, even those companies can still be relatively okay in the marketplace, such as it is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quinellipe Zorn said:

If Bandlab isn't watching this forum, that's Bandlab's problem.  

If "the Bakers" are interacting here, it's also their obligation to provide feedback within their company based on those interactions.  A company official cannot transact with customers and then disclaim it isn't their role to provide feedback, or such.  (And I'm not suggesting whatsoever that the engineers are making such disclaiming, and I have full confidence that they provide feedback.  If not, well, that's on the company.)

While I personally think we are being “strung along” at this point,  I don’t think it’s the developers doing it and I get the impression they would give us everything we want - if they could. We can bitch at them until the cows come home and all they can do is pass it on. Why bother them with that. 

Talk to Bandlab directly.

I was a developer and development manager for many years and we had little direct say in the pricing and rollout other than giving an opinion. It was marketing, sales and finance that drove the pricing and rollout. 

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

Seems like user feedback would be  a metric they would or should look at. I'm sure I'll get on board myself as the bugs are ironed out and the pricing is set. (Unless it's something crazy, which I doubt)

Hearing opinions of people either happy or unhappy with the rumour mill can contain some useful info. I've been on these forums since the 90's and have seen a lot worse than the complaints here. 

BTW I've seen some blowup from Studio 1 users about their marketing and sub plans. All of this potential pricing and subscription upset is not happening in a vacuum

Edited by Scott C. Stahl
typos, grammar
  • Like 2