Backstage Pass and Sonar Pricing

OS/2 ran Windows in a window and Windows was based on OS/2 and would run OS/2 command line programs until Windows 7. I’ll bet its core is still OS/2. 

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

OS/2 ran Windows in a window and Windows was based on OS/2 and would run OS/2 command line programs until Windows 7. I’ll bet its core is still OS/2. 

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Have you ever worked with the programming interfaces of OS/2 ? Those have been designed in a really professional way (IBM)! Compare the amateurish Windows interfaces (MS) with them! Alone that in Windows name spaces are missing can cause a lot of trouble!

Even nowadays it's obvious that Microsoft has grown out of the home pc market and not the professional IT.

But YMMV!

On 4/4/2024 at 9:30 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

I understand that users want to get definitive answers on final pricing and purchase options, but please don’t read too much into this,.

Silence is consent. I'm not the only person who thinks there will not be a perpetual license and this impression hasn't changed since the first announcement. If anything, it's just being reinforced considering the very first thing rolled out were subscription plans and when people ask about perpetual license pricing, they either get nothing or get non-answers.

The ugly truth is better than a well dressed lie in this situation IMO.

• Meh 1

28 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

a well dressed lie

That's totally uncalled for, and the exact opposite of "please don’t read too much into this". I trust you'll be back here with your half-eaten hat in hand if and when it turns out there is in fact a perpetual license option...?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Silence is consent. I'm not the only person who thinks there will not be a perpetual license and this impression hasn't changed since the first announcement. If anything, it's just being reinforced considering the very first thing rolled out were subscription plans and when people ask about perpetual license pricing, they either get nothing or get non-answers.

This statement reminds of several times throughout my life when some individuals told me they were choosing to believe what they wanted to believe about what others said I did regardless of the truth.  

Nowadays, sometimes I respond when this kind of thing happens, but many times I remain silent.

Your claim "Silence is consent" in my opinion is generally untrue.

33 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

The ugly truth is better than a well dressed lie in this situation IMO.

JMO: This statement was included as an insult.  You can choose to believe what you want without regard to the truth, but IMO you should not lob insults.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Baay said:

That's totally uncalled for, and the exact opposite of "please don’t read too much into this". I trust you'll be back here with your half-eaten hat in hand if and when it turns out there is in fact a perpetual license option...?

Subscription only is more profitable in the long run. I won't be surprised if it ends up being subscription only.

7 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

JMO: This statement was included as an insult.  You can choose to believe what you want without regard to the truth, but IMO you should not lob insults.

Insult to who? A multi million dollar business owned by a billionaire? If that's the case, I could care less.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:35 AM, Terry Kelley said:

Windows predated OS/2 by a bunch.  I was around early enough to see it happen.  Microsoft was an OS/2 development partner if not the lead until there was a parting of the ways with IBM.   Early Windows ran MS-DOS/PC-DOS command line programs (with command.com shell).  It is unsurprising that OS/2 command line operation was comparable-to/compatible-with that of Windows. 

I was at an event in NYC in the late 80s where there was an IBM-Microsoft Kumbaya event around Windows 2.03, celebrating that Windows would continue along with OS/2 (which was yet to ship).  But Windows NT was the definitive visible break and then there was alignment of consumer Windows at Windows XP as I recall, with full x64 at Windows 7 (or maybe Vista) and the NT designation vanished. 

There's a pretty reliable account at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows

Underlying the break was the connection between OS/2 and IBM's effort to close the hardware with the introduction of the PS/2 and MCA architecture.   Of course they would have a way to run Windows programs. 

Thanks to the efforts of Compaq, Microsoft, Intel, and others, the open PC/AT architecture was extended to meet that challenge.  This Wintel arrangement also assured a platform for Linux,  something even IBM now supports on some of their systems.

There were some significant miss-steps when some software providers were incentivized to develop for one of OS/2 or Windows first.  Lotus 1-2-3 got burned going for OS/2 and they never recovered against Excel (and for a time, Quadro Pro).  It's unclear where WordPerfect dropped a stitch although it might have had to do with an Apple-IBM attack on Microsoft Office.  Borland got caught somewhere in the middle around getting quickly into Windows although I saw no evidence they were distracted by OS/2. 

There was a Borland-Microsoft Kumbaya at the 1992 Windows NT and Win32-APIs announcement event in San Francisco. 

Looking back, all of those moves seem rather medieval.  A technological age of empires :).

Edited by orcmid

I remember a conversation with an IBM employee (family friend) early 90s when MCA was coming in: he was completely befuddled as to why anyone would want to be able to use an existing ISA card (like extra serial ports - remember them?) in a new PS/2 machine.  Not really a surprise the architecture didn't actually survive.

6 hours ago, pwal³ said:

my first pc, mid-90s hp 386 dx (maths co-processor woohooo!)  had os/2 pre-installed, it didn't last long haha

Interesting. I don’t recall us ever installing OS/2 as the shipped OS due to the MS contracts. You might have been able to order it separately but not pre installed. 

3 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

Interesting. I don’t recall us ever installing OS/2 as the shipped OS due to the MS contracts. You might have been able to order it separately but not pre installed. 

this was in the uk

3 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

Built in  L'Isle-d'Abeau. Maybe so. EMEA contracts varied. 👍

And I swear, now back to Cakewalk! lol

having had a little think, it might have been a dual-boot 🤷‍♀️

• Like 1