Softube VCA Compressor Worth $149 - Free During March 2024

cclarry

4 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

If you are not in the ecosystem yet, even a $10-15 isn't a no brainer for everyone as it is iLok based and they use a ecosystem installer.

I really cannot understand the iLok haters! I prefer it a 1000 times over online only installations or exotic authorization models!

I would have paid even more than $15 (although I own too many compressors, also a real dbx166 from the 80s)! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CSistine said:

I really cannot understand the iLok haters! I prefer it a 1000 times over online only installations or exotic authorization models!

I would have paid even more than $15 (although I own too many compressors, also a real dbx166 from the 80s)! 

I have a couple iloks, but there are plenty of reasons why I sympathize with the haters.   

Honestly the only system I like is the one that treats the user as a law abiding citizen and doesn't have some sort of authorization method.  But 100% off line with license files and no limited authorizations is also acceptable.  Ilok doesn't meet those specifications.  I'm sure you have heard the anti ilok rants, you either get it or you don't.  

It is helpful for reinstalls compared to other similar limited authorization methods.

• Like 2

Generally not a fan of internet activation stuff and treating paying customers like criminals, but currently my only dislike with iLok is that not all of the licences allow cloud installs. But I'm also even less of a fan of things where you might be able to lock yourself out of a licence due to a hardware failure or some other random unforeseen hiccup. And apparently the fact that you have to go through the individual companies to get things sorted out in such a case doesn't ease the anxiety.

Yet, I think I'm most irked by all the other smaller devs and their own weird online activation systems. I always feel like there's a good chance their system won't work in 5 years when they decide there's no money in plugin world (or the planet blows up/flood fills their basement and they didn't have backups/whatever). Makes me a bit hesitant to bite on certain products I might be interested in if the asking price is more than I'm willing to risk losing. 

Whoever comes up with the Steam of music software world is gonna win the Noble Peace Prize. 

• Like 3

Clicked on "Get Free", activated via iLok Activation Manager, download and installed via Softube Central (already installed for my other 4 Softube plugins) in less than one minute total.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kirean said:

Yet, I think I'm most irked by all the other smaller devs and their own weird online activation systems. I always feel like there's a good chance their system won't work in 5 years when they decide there's no money in plugin world (or the planet blows up/flood fills their basement and they didn't have backups/whatever)

Good point, but also don't forget that an iLok licence can also go the same way if you need a reset and in the process:

13 hours ago, Kirean said:

you have to go through the individual companies to get things sorted out

I'm not bashing iLok though; like others have said, it (like other methods) has it's pros and cons.

27 minutes ago, antler said:

Good point, but also don't forget that an iLok licence can also go the same way if you need a reset and in the process:

I'm not bashing iLok though; like others have said, it (like other methods) has it's pros and cons.

I'll add that I have Drum Core 4, not a cheap VSTi by any stretch.  Got the ilok authorizations but there is no longer any way to install it, so it becomes worthless once you upgrade a computer.

15 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

I have a couple iloks, but there are plenty of reasons why I sympathize with the haters.   

Honestly the only system I like is the one that treats the user as a law abiding citizen and doesn't have some sort of authorization method.  But 100% off line with license files and no limited authorizations is also acceptable.  Ilok doesn't meet those specifications.  I'm sure you have heard the anti ilok rants, you either get it or you don't.  

It is helpful for reinstalls compared to other similar limited authorization methods.

It did have an advantage back in the day when software only allowed one authorization and you had other systems and didn't want to buy additional licenses.  iLok as come a long way since it started - a long way.  The real problem with iLok is people will try to steal those.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

It did have an advantage back in the day when software only allowed one authorization and you had other systems and didn't want to buy additional licenses.  iLok as come a long way since it started - a long way.  The real problem with iLok is people will try to steal those.  

I've been working in the DAW world for a couple decades now, and as someone who didn't adopt WAVES early on, honestly I don't ever remember my tools being stuck to one authorization.  The only ones I've had that do this are somewhat recent (Exponential audio- which is also ilok).  

And honestly when I started, one authorization at a time wouldn't have been a total deal breaker, as most people didn't own multiple machines.  

23 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Honestly the only system I like is the one that treats the user as a law abiding citizen and doesn't have some sort of authorization method.

Yeah if only that system worked... 
The difference in profit loss unfortunately for many companies is the difference between staying in business or not.

What bothers me is when companies either

• get too restrictive - e.g. only one iLok installation, limited installation restrictions, etc..
    There's a line between being protective and paranoid. 
    or
  • implement 1/2 @ssed badly implemented protection / installation systems.

Another thing I like about iLok is that even if the licensing plugin company goes under the plugin licensing still works.
As long as you have access to a working installer you can reinstall/activate the plugin (at least this was true last time I rebuilt my DAW computer).
With a company owned license server you're SOL when the website gets taken down unless the company released a self licensing version before going under. 

Respectfully,
My 2 cents; YMMV.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

The difference in profit loss unfortunately for many companies is the difference between staying in business or not.

What bothers me is when companies either

• get too restrictive - e.g. only one iLok installation, limited installation restrictions, etc..
    There's a line between being protective and paranoid. 
    or
  • implement 1/2 @ssed badly implemented protection / installation systems.

Another thing I like about iLok is that even if the licensing plugin company goes under the plugin licensing still works.
As long as you have access to a working installer you can reinstall/activate the plugin (at least this was true last time I rebuilt my DAW computer).
With a company owned license server you're SOL when the website gets taken down unless the company released a self licensing version before going under. 

Respectfully,
My 2 cents; YMMV.

It is a mystery as it is clearly working for some companies.  

(per my Drum Core 4 example above, unfortunately some plugins with ilok don't have a full blown offline installer one can backup)

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

It is a mystery as it is clearly working for some companies.  

and some people can live off the land with no reliance with other sources of food/income - doesn't mean it's a viable model for everyone or even most.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

(per my Drum Core 4 example above, unfortunately some plugins with ilok don't have a full blown offline installer one can backup)

Apples/Oranges.  That's not really a comment on iLok but on the installer tech (in this case Drum Core's); if their online installer broke and you needed to reinstall - it wouldn't matter if the software was protection free or not you're still SOL.

Edited by TheSteven
edited to fix grammar errors and add clarity...
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TheSteven said:

That's what some companies assert. But I doubt that they make more profit installing some annoyance for the users. In the contrary, they lose more purchases (e.g. me) than they win. Those bad guys that misuse software surely won't buy their products, if protection is added!

So I agree with @Brian Walton that no or an easy (offline) protection is the best for the users (I have a long list of company names that delight and it seems they can survive)! And I prefer such companies in the last 2 years (that increases their purchases! 😉).

On the other hand I agree with you that iLok is definitely a better/acceptable protection system (compared to online, login protection). Whereas time limited authorization is one of the worst protections (like CbB 😄), totally user unfriendly IMO.

But YMMV!

• Like 2

For the newer Softube plugins I cannot find pdf manuals anymore! Nowadays it's like a plague with these online manuals!

I know there are some utilities to convert web pages to pdf, but 

1. Everyone has to do it again, pointless!
  2. Sometimes it does not work with the content links.
  3. If there are cookie prompts (EU), then they cover the contents.
  4. There are additional pages included that do not belong to the manual.

It's a real PITA! 😒 But maybe someone here has a great idea?

On 3/1/2024 at 6:03 PM, e-cue said:

Just opened Softube central and this popped up:  

Screenshot2024-03-01at9_02_12AM.thumb.png.f66c6765f30de9b72b71135e9b0b8869.png

Like I mentioned before, I paid for this already.  Annoying.

I tried it and I got the same message. Weird. The plugin seems to load ok in my DAW though (after I clicked 'Keep' of course).

2 hours ago, Nick Blanc said:

I tried it and I got the same message. Weird. The plugin seems to load ok in my DAW though (after I clicked 'Keep' of course).

This may be super obvious, but before looking for some other cause, I just want to verify that after Softube added the license to your iLok account, you used the iLok License Manager to activate it.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, John Maar said:

This may be super obvious, but before looking for some other cause, I just want to verify that after Softube added the license to your iLok account, you used the iLok License Manager to activate it. [emphasis added]

• Hmmmmmmm. Maybe I did something wrong.
    • ILok has it and shows my current computer is activated.
    • The My Account / My Products page  of the website says it is a Full License and it is Activated.
    • The app (Softube Central, latest version--even installed a second time) says it is not Activated.
      • Each time I start the app, it briefly says it is not connected, then it seems to connect, I am told to wait while info is fetched, and the app seems to sync whatever it needs to sync.
      • Yet, in the app it shows as Installed and "You don't have any activations."
      • Under settings
        • iLok is listed as Connected (Backend Services)
        • Installer Service Revision:   2.5.79
        • iLok License Support Version: 5.9.0
        • Current Locations:
          • { My Current PC }
          • { My E-mail address }
    • I believe I added the serial number either in the website or in the app.
      • Are you saying I need to unactivate it someplace and activate it in iLok so the app will pick it up?