Lets hear a comment sombody said to you about your music after they heard it.

My grandfather said, that's not music. 

My grandmother in the other side said if I ever wanted anyone to marry me I had to write happier songs and wear better shoes. 

Edited by Gswitz
  • Haha 2

I am pretty much genreless, so I have a mish mash of recordings I've done. For awhile I was a church pianist vocalist and maybe 5 years later one individual who knows someone I know asks for me or wonders if I'm coming back.  I have had several tell me they liked what I did. The worst comment came from a little old lady who told me I was hitting the keys too hard. I constantly run into people in grocery stores and elsewhere who stop to chat with me and I have no idea who they are. I guess after 10 years of that playing to larger groups I can't remember everyone. 

Lately I've been playing guitar. I admit I am a hack on it, but I seem to get by pretty well faking everyone out that I can actually play the thing. I squeak by on some of those chords playing whatever version of the chord I think I can pull off and not be noticed that it was a lot harder to do than I wanted it to look. Playing fingerstyle and then strumming means I'm mostly without a pick. I'll be up playing it soon on and off. I guess we'll see how that all turns out. 

I never really looked at myself as playing anything particularly well, but if I can make it look like I'm playing they won't know any better.

Edited by Tim Smith
  • Like 1

Deleted User on Soundcloud told me he was confident he could get my track played on the radio within seven days. Also he promised me 205 new followers and 3300 listeners just by clicking on a link.

• Haha 1

The words of Leonard Cohen always come to mind - You don’t really care for music do you?

I found that out when I started putting my music online on MySpace in the early-mid 2000’s. Pictures always got a lot of hits, but the songs not so much.

I soon realized that priorities in order were: fame, then looks, and only then music.

Sometimes, months after they added you and sent a bunch of messages and commented on all your pics, you’d finally get a message about a song, like: wow, your stuff's actually good. 

I remember one girl who started by telling me what my new song inspired her - it was all cute, very romantic images, but the next few messages quickly shifted from romantic to lurid and downright explicit.

Which I can’t complain about, can I? I did eventually meet her and she remained a supporter ever after - and to this day - sending gifts and all.

But music was secondary. As with a lot of people. There needs to be something else that will incite people to actually make the effort and listen.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Now there's something uncommon on most forums and something I actually miss. Deep discussion.

I guess the things we value are not the things many other value, or at least our priorities are far different. When I listen back to a lot of my stuff I dislike it. After a few years go by I know I could have done something better, and maybe this is all just a learning experience for me.

Like Google, most of these large music platforms are search engines and it's easy to fall behind unless you either self promote or hire someone to do it. It's all  about promotion and visibility. 

I know we have a lot of very good musicians that come here. I've never heard your music, but I'm sure it's as good as any other.  I have heard many a track that I think SHOULD have had far more attention. I know that musician spent literally days to make it and the plays are pithy. Soundcloud which is the platform I use is largely hip hop.

I'm not sure this counts as a critique of the music but, in early 1984 we had just finished a gig down in Cutoff Louisiana. A group of guys approached and informed us that if we didn't keep playing, they were going to turn over our truck. We declined.

So, a bunch of them lined up next to the 22-foot U-Haul and started rocking it. I doubt they would have been able to actually turn it over but, we played another couple of hours. 

Afterward those wonderful, enthusiastic people turned out to be very generous tippers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

One of the nicest things someone has ever said too me about my guitar playing  took place at a small club I was playing in City Island NY back in the 90's . 

I noticed a young lady in her 30's who need crutches just to walk and stand .  She had came out to see me play every time I did a GIG there which turned out to be about once a week .

At the end of this gigs  night she hobbled up to where I had been playing in the area where  I was now packing up my gear she said " Can I talk to you for a moment "

I could see it in her eyes that she was energized and filled with positive mojo so I bent over a little and leaned in to meet her at her eye and height level .

She asked me if I believed in Reincarnation and I said" Yes I  believe in that " . Then she put a big wide smile on her face and blurted out "When I die I want to come back and be reincarnated  as your guitar ." I was like wow ! I can tell she had become super embarrassed because tuned redder than an ripe Apple and I did the only thing I could do . I leaned in and put a hug on her that to this day I wish I could experience again .  I felt so much emotion stir up inside me for this woman at that moment in time and I asked her was she local and how was she getting home . She told me she lived around 3 or 4 blocks in the area and she had walked to the club. So I strapped my small Fender combo to my motorcycle and left it in front of the club . The I slung my guitar in a gig bag over my shoulder and walked her home .

We stood outside the fence of the lawn where she lived under a tree and talked for hours ....I felt so much of a connection that took place in the moment that to even touch her or kiss her would have taken away from the whole wholesome experience ...I figured she had seen and knew how my fingers moved on a guitar and I didn't want to spoil the moment !
😉

When the Sun came up I said my goodbyes to her . To this day  I have always kept a place in my heart just for her .

Kenny

Why spoil it

• Like 7

Back in the aughts, when I was recording pretty regularly and posting the results on soundclick, folks in the old Songs forum said some nice things about some of my songs.
I would copy some of those comments and put them on my SC 'comments' page. I got a big head from them and thought I was the "Next Big Thing" when actually I was just a thing. 😁
At some point, I copied that section from SC and put it in a document in one of my now-dead computers.
At some point, I backed-up that computer, so here it is, direct from the dusty archives, reviews of some of my songs.

"Never Going Home": Nice little tune. Rolifer

I love the guitar, the tune, the thoughtful lyrics. Mamabear

very thought provoking. Truckermusic

very nice guitar work. CreatingNoise

Wow, Greg. Very nice. It put a lump in my throat. RobertB

This song definitely packs a wollap, (sic) Taylor_514C

a very lovely piece. mstodge

Beautiful sound on that acoustic and your voice fits this well. I'm downloading this baby!! This is the sound that I want to achieve. lhansen

Wow! Simple yet very powerful. amateur

Good atmosphere, nice tune. ascottdesign

excellent, The guitar stlye (sic) you picked supported the story line very well. Nutty

Wow! Such a lonely sound to the guitar and lyrics. Danley

Very nice work. love the guitar on this. sound fx on this are really good. very nice indeed! Beagle

This song is very powerful. I haven't been quite the same since I heard it. Its very sad, and evokes such contemplation as to be more akin to a classic of our time. BOBK

Great stuff Greg - very powerful and very moving. SteveStrummerUK

"The Girl Of My Dreams": Got a little beach boys vibe there. robby

Wow! I really like this. Mamabear

fun song. musiccontinuum

Well written song with some sweet changes to make it sound like a fresh oldie. No How

Wonderful harmonies on this doo-wop piece of music. Well done! lhansen

Greg, you rock! Excellent song. tdye

"Lost In You": This is a great song, Greg! Mamabear

I like the tune. robby

You have created a very stylized soundstage. No how

Nice tune! nice easy sound. Beagle

this is a great composition. Lyrics, melody, accompaniment, all done well. tdye

Instruments, arrangement and soundstage sound pretty good. Paul Russell

Some of the names might be familiar to old-timers. Hard to remember which song they're talking about if it's not mentioned.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 57Gregy said:

Very nice work. love the guitar on this. sound fx on this are really good. very nice indeed! Beagle

Wow! I really like this. Mamabear

Some of the names might be familiar to old-timers. Hard to remember which song they're talking about if it's not mentioned.

Reese and Janet!  Wow.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:02 PM, kennywtelejazz said:

One of the nicest things someone has ever said too me about my guitar playing  took place at a small club I was playing in City Island NY back in the 90's . 

I noticed a young lady in her 30's who need crutches just to walk and stand .  She had came out to see me play every time I did a GIG there which turned out to be about once a week .

At the end of this gigs  night she hobbled up to where I had been playing in the area where  I was now packing up my gear she said " Can I talk to you for a moment "

I could see it in her eyes that she was energized and filled with positive mojo so I bent over a little and leaned in to meet her at her eye and height level .

She asked me if I believed in Reincarnation and I said" Yes I  believe in that " . Then she put a big wide smile on her face and blurted out "When I die I want to come back and be reincarnated  as your guitar ." I was like wow ! I can tell she had become super embarrassed because tuned redder than an ripe Apple and I did the only thing I could do . I leaned in and put a hug on her that to this day I wish I could experience again .  I felt so much emotion stir up inside me for this woman at that moment in time and I asked her was she local and how was she getting home . She told me she lived around 3 or 4 blocks in the area and she had walked to the club. So I strapped my small Fe😉😉nder combo to my motorcycle and left it in front of the club . The I slung my guitar in a gig bag over my shoulder and walked her home .

We stood outside the fence of the lawn where she lived under a tree and talked for hours ....I felt so much of a connection that took place in the moment that to even touch her or kiss her would have taken away from the whole wholesome experience ...I figured she had seen and knew how my fingers moved on a guitar and I didn't want to spoil the moment !
😉

When the Sun came up I said my goodbyes to her . To this day  I have always kept a place in my heart just for her .

Kenny

Why spoil it

Sweet story, sorry to hear she lived under a tree 😄

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, treesha said:

Sweet story, sorry to hear she lived under a tree 😄

I'm glad you liked my story . Lets see if we can fill in some of the blanks for you😉.

I got off work 2 AM after last call , walked her home and stood under a tree in her yard 25 feet away from her house and we talked until the sun came up .

Why may you ask ? Well the obvious reason would be it is possible either her mom or her grandma would not have known I was there nor would they have appreciated running across me in their see through nightie's as they went for a 4 AM snack ...SO we kept it outside and respected their space .

That is one possible explanation but the truth is this lovely lady had done her homework and researched me over at my Snag A Date  with Kenny Wilson  Web Page .   After she had read my profile she realized one of my greatest turn on's in life is to climb into a tree in a private yard with a lovely woman , beat my chest and proclaim at the top of my lungs

" Me Tarzan you Jane  " 

Hope this info helps . All the best ,

gulp ....Tarzan

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Lets hear one that involved an encounter with a professional musician and the comments they made .

After my friend Brad and I picked up Joe Pass from the mid town hotel where he was staying and brought him to his Gig . I noticed Joe seemed to be acting a little strange . Normally Joe liked to enjoy a good glass of wine and a top quality cigar before a GIG backstage before his show but on this night he seemed noticeably off.

I asked him what was going on and he told me his guitar didn't feel or sound right . So I opened up his guitar case , took a look inside and said "what the heck is this "?

Joe looked at me with that look only  a puppy dog would give you after he chewed up all the trash and redecorated the leather of you favorite pair of shoes and said

" I tried a little experiment ! I wanted to see if cello strings would sound better than the brand of guitar strings I had been using on my guitar" .... 

I noodled around a little bit on his guitar and came to the conclusion these cello strings are not gonna work at all so I grabbed a set of his back up guitar strings and restrung his guitar as fast as I could backstage . It's a good thing that I did because when I got done he had about 10 or 15 min's free time left before he had to perform his show  . So then Joe asks me to warm up and play his guitar and make sure they truly sound OK. So I launch into all my favorite imitations of  what Joe Pass would sound like if he had no talent , was blindfolded , had one arm behind his back and had too much to drink 😆

After butchering a number of my interpretations of Solo Guitar  Jazz Standards in the style of Joe , Joe told me he thought I sounded pretty good 😛

I knew he was shining me on but what he said next I was not prepared for or expecting ...He said "Kenny I don't feel good and you need to help me out . I'm not able to play or perform tonight ! Can you go out and play my GIG for me "?

Right then and there my heart started pounding as it jumped up clear past my throat.  I started shaking like a leaf in a tropical tornado . Then I looked down at my shoes with the tears starting to well up in my eyes and sheepishly proclaimed in a raspy whisper " I'm too young to Die ....  The audience paid good money to see and hear you play . Not one of them even knows who I am and I might not make it out of here in one piece if I end up trying to do your show for you "

The next thing I know Joe and his friend John were laughing their heads off ....They had set me up  and pulled a whooper of a practical joke on me .

Once the revelation set in I grabbed Joe , forced him into the bathroom stall he had back stage and tied him up with his own neck tie and left him there for the few mins he had left before he performed his show ....

Oh man those were good times ...anyway the picture I have enclosed in this post has one of the two bottom shots from that GIG ..

Bottom left Joe performing at another one of his Gig's .

Bottom right backstage with Joe ..at the GIG from  this story .His friend John on the left was a great guitar player and that's  little ole me on the right ... 

Brad who took the lower 2 photo's is in the top photo . We are having a private diner with Joe  before one of his Gigs. 

ogl1lGW.jpeg

Whew !!!

all the best

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 3

'Is that your actual singing voice?'

(er no, I borrowed it off a mate); and

'Why did you want to record such a depressing song from the 1970s...?'

My sister after hearing my cover of Alone Again (Naturally) by Gilbert O'Sullivan.

She has about as much tact as your average house brick. 😂

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
  • Haha 1

Best thing anyone told me was some young kids that snuck into the bar after we shut it down. This was around 4 in the morning. I was rolling up cables when they walked up to me and started asking how I was getting the sound I got on 'Cult of Personality ". All I could think of to tell them was I just go for it!

You have to understand my thinking at the time. I know I am no Vernon Reid. So most of you that has done this know I was doing the best I could. We played it the first set at the end. Then again somewhere in the middle of another set. Then again as the very last song. So I am trying to at least do as good as I did the time we played it!!

Anyway, them kids told me they had never heard sounds like that come from a guitar. :) They went on about how I was a this and that..... on and on. Finally bass player looked over at us and said to run them kids outta here. 

I still remember that. Hope I inspired them to "just go for it!"