JRR Sound Kits FREE!

cclarry

1 hour ago, Rational said:

Dang. I missed it too.

I've gotten a few over the years, but it was always too much bother to try and get them all.

But all at once for free would be worth the time I guess. Sadly I missed it. Ah well...

They're not very sophisticated sample libraries. It's pretty much at the level that was the norm 20 years ago. Yes, it's nice for free, but you can find a number of vastly superior free drum sample libraries. I created two threads that contain lists of free libraries that include drum kits, one is for owners of the full version of KONTAKT  and the other are libraries that come with or work on free players. All of those libraries are far more sophisticated than the JRR kits. Personally, I downloaded the JRR kits the last time they gave them away free, but ended up deleting them except for an 80s drum machine-ish kit where I wasn't concerned with it trying to sound like an authentic drum kit. 

Off hand, Analogue Drums has a very nice free kit called Big Mono, there's the free BFD Player,  Steven Slate Drums Free version,  Sterzov The Creative Toolbox Drums and Percussion, Spitfire Labs free drum kit and IK's MODO Drums free version -- all of those are superior to the JRR kits. There's more on my lists, but I don't want you to be bummed out over missing these kits. There are much better ones out there. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 10:19 AM, PavlovsCat said:

They're not very sophisticated sample libraries. It's pretty much at the level that was the norm 20 years ago. Yes, it's nice for free, but you can find a number of vastly superior free drum sample libraries. I created two threads that contain lists of free libraries that include drum kits, one is for owners of the full version of KONTAKT  and the other are libraries that come with or work on free players. All of those libraries are far more sophisticated than the JRR kits. Personally, I downloaded the JRR kits the last time they gave them away free, but ended up deleting them except for an 80s drum machine-ish kit where I wasn't concerned with it trying to sound like an authentic drum kit. 

Off hand, Analogue Drums has a very nice free kit called Big Mono, there's the free BFD Player,  Steven Slate Drums Free version,  Sterzov The Creative Toolbox Drums and Percussion, Spitfire Labs free drum kit and IK's MODO Drums free version -- all of those are superior to the JRR kits. There's more on my lists, but I don't want you to be bummed out over missing these kits. There are much better ones out there. 

Thanks for that. Appreciate it. Yeah, I suspected as much. Simple little freebies Uncle E has created to generate some hopeful sales.

The collector in me thought it was worth a mass grab if all free at once. But barely. :)

Thanks for the tips on the other stuff. I should have come over here years and years ago from KVR when Fleer quit there.

The community is still alive and well here it seems. Appreciate your time and input PavlovsCat.

Ding!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rational said:

Thanks for that. Appreciate it. Yeah, I suspected as much. Simple little freebies Uncle E has created to generate some hopeful sales.

The collector in me thought it was worth a mass grab if all free at once. But barely. :)

Thanks for the tips on the other stuff. I should have come over here years and years ago from KVR when Fleer quit there.

The community is still alive and well here it seems. Appreciate your time and input PavlovsCat.

Ding!

I used to be a regular at KVR (under the user name of eDrummist, which I still use when I'm occasionally there) and befriended a bunch of folks in real life from KVR that I've visited on three continents (okay, I live on one of those continents). But it's probably been a decade since I spent much time there.  KVR, of course, is a pretty big community and can get toxic from time to time (not VI-Control level toxic, but bad enough that I prefer somewhere friendlier) and I simply find that not to my liking. While no forum is perfect, I think this one, overall, is excellent and I attribute that to a combination of a great community and the standards and moderation of the forum. Also, we have cclarry, which is nice. 

Please, stick around! 

- Peter

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

Learned the ropes at kvr, gearslutz and vicontrol but the cakies forum sure has the good vibe for over ten years, with oldies but goodies like @cclarry, @BassDaddy, @Bapu@lawajava, @Grem, @Zo, @mettelus, @John Maar,@DeeringAmps, @TheSteven, @Zargg, and the dear ones I’m forgetting right now. 
Meanwhile, some fine newcomers have joined the band. Happy 2024, guyz. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Learned the ropes at kvr, gearslutz and vicontrol but the cakies forum sure has the good vibe for over ten years, with oldies but goodies like @cclarry, @BassDaddy, @Bapu@lawajava, @Grem, @Zo, @mettelus, @John Maar,@DeeringAmps, @TheSteven, @Zargg, and the dear ones I’m forgetting right now. 
Meanwhile, some fine newcomers have joined the band. Happy 2024, guyz. 

Yep. I recognize the cclarry name for a long time now too.

I was on KVR probably around 2000 as a lurker for years. Was into audiosoft since about '97. Time is flying.

Plan to hang out here nowadays. Never got into gearslutz other than reading gear reviews occassionally.

vicontrol I just found 6 months ago. Didn't realize it existed.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2023 at 2:19 AM, PavlovsCat said:

They're not very sophisticated sample libraries. It's pretty much at the level that was the norm 20 years ago. Yes, it's nice for free, but you can find a number of vastly superior free drum sample libraries.

OK, good to know. I have a million drum samples (probably literally a million) anyway, so I shouldn't be bothered anyway...