Bad Moon Rising (CCR cover) a darker version ..

mark skinner

Hello ,  I thought I'd do a cover that I've been playing around with for a while. I did it just for my own satisfaction while in between originals. I've always wondered why nobody covered this "dark" song , taking it out of the rockabilly genre.   Anyway ..  if you hear anything that would improve it ,  please let me know.    Thanks for the listen ..   mark       -link now reflects a remix- 

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14700231

Edited by mark skinner
Final Mix added
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, jude77 said:

it's very different, but that's also what makes it good.

Thanks ,  different is what I was going for. It was pretty easy getting the song to work with this heavier vibe.

17 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

Very cool treatment! I like the mix alot.

Appreciate that. I leaned pretty hard on Pro R plate reverbs. I kept hunting for different guitar treatment  , but stayed with Bias FX.

2 hours ago, Supa Reels said:

this a good cover Joe Cocker would love you for this 👍😎

Thank's , My old vocal chords have lost a lot of clairity .. I "almost" started a BB King and Joe Cocker song. I may try it at some point.

1 hour ago, Bajan Blue said:

Mix is excellent, wouldn't change anything

by the way, did I say the Guitar work is fantastic!!

Thank You , I've actually been sneaking in remixes , mainly just volume automation and calming the reverbs down a little. The guitar parts were enjoyable to do. I'm not much of a lead player but the fills come pretty easy. 

I Really appreciate the listens and comments , all of you keep me going ..    mark

• Like 1

Hi Mark . . . I know this old CCR classic very well, and you've kind of made it into a totally different song, in a good way, laid back blues, compared to the original up-tempo . . . so, just here to add my appreciation like the others above . . . always great when a cover tune is a new variation, rather than a copy.

• Thanks 1

@KSband @Wookiee @bjornpdx @Kevin Walsh @noynekker   

Thanks guys for the listen and the Great comments!  I've been pretty satisfied with the mix but , it has been bothering me about not having a bass guitar. The low bass requencys were actually done on an electric piano. I thinned the bottom of it out some and laid a played bass guitar track under it. I'll probably replace one short passage on it , but wont bump the song back up.    I appreciate everyones support on this one.       Respectfully ..    mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 2

On 12/17/2023 at 7:08 PM, mark skinner said:

Hello ,  I thought I'd do a cover that I've been playing around with for a while. I did it just for my own satisfaction while in between originals. I've always wondered why nobody covered this "dark" song , taking it out of the rockabilly genre.   Anyway ..  if you hear anything that would improve it ,  please let me know.    Thanks for the listen ..   mark       -link now reflects a remix- 

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=14700231

Wow Mark, absolutely cool and unique take on this classic. You really owned it, great production, and performance, especially guitar work,  is top-notch. Great job!!!

• Thanks 1

@steve@baselines.com , Thanks for the listen and responding. I know you are a pro at doing covers of great songs. @Ross Smithe, Appreciate the comment , this one was pretty easy to own. My guitars were tuned down a full step and the "Ain't No Sunshine" parts fit in comfortably. @Lynn Wilson , No credence for blasphemy here. I like it better also. @Sal Sorice Thanks for the compliment. It actually "does" take a while to get good results mixing your own work. If I go back to some older mixes I've done , I don't really understand "what in the world" I was thinking .. This forum has been a Big help. Hang in there.  @Makke I appreciate it. I Really liked your last production as well. @garybrun , You know I Always value your opinions , and have learned a Lot from you. Thanks for the past help you've given me. Still have a "Gary Brun Masters" folder on my desktop.

Thanks for all the plays and input ..                mark

• Thanks 1