Studio One for Cakewalk Users

John Maar

This video in the Studio One Revealed channel on YouTube was released yesterday. It's target audience is Cakewalk users who are or are considering migrating to or adding Studio One to their DAW arsenal. It starts out very basic, but I found it to be informative.

Edited by John Maar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

I think that the Sonar announcement maybe hit Mike kinda hard.

He's built a career (or at least a revenue stream) out of his CbB tutorials based on it being a great FREE DAW. He's also been doing tutorials for Studio One, but if you look at the number of views he gets on his Studio One videos vs. the ones for CbB there's no contest. He invested a lot of work in building up his set of tutorials. Now he seems to think that the best way he can serve his audience is by helping them transition to a different DAW.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Perhaps so, but it may have exacerbated it.😣

I don't really see how encouraging people to pay for a different daw instead of paying for the one that he's always told people is great (and will probably still be cheaper than s1) is going to help him maintain credibility.

• Like 2

I am seriously considering moving over to Studio One Pro because of the Pipeline XT. I love how it  connects and using hardware is ten times better that using it in Cakewalk.  I hope the new version of Sonar has been created with Pipeline XT in mind.

Not sure that dissing Mike is super helpful,  everyone has to make a living and if he's covering both bases - good for him. I use both platforms and am currently mulling over an upgrade to S1 Pro 6 (from 5) so I'll watch this with interest. I've always used Sonar/ CbB as my main DAW for donkey's years, but there is a lot about S1 I like so when the cost comes in for new Sonar (and I have absolutely no issue with them charging for what I think is an already excellent product), that might be my time to make the switch.

So I for one, am grateful for Mike for this and his other videos - they have helped my production skills considerably - long may they continue.

I get it, his style and content are not for everyone but better to just go elsewhere for your tutorials than to criticise the guy.

Just my 2c

Andy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

17 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Not sure that dissing Mike is super helpful,  everyone has to make a living and if he's covering both bases - good for him.....

So I for one, am grateful for Mike for this and his other videos - they have helped my production skills considerably - long may they continue.

I get it, his style and content are not for everyone but better to just go elsewhere for your tutorials than to criticise the guy.

Just my 2c

Andy

Well said! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Sad 1

They will have to pry the cake from my cold dead hand, I will never switch. Gave Studio One a fair try, did not like it at all. Unintuitive interface, a major obstacle for me.

Looks like I will be one of the only die hard fans left doing Cakewalk videos on YT.

To me it is not really about making money (otherwise I would have used Mike's short video format) as I have never made a single dime from my Cakewalk YT channel, yet.

It is about sharing my musical journey with those who may find it helpful.

The few subscribers who do show up are awesome.

Getting Cakewalk users to my channel is like pulling teeth.

youtube search for @cbbtv 

I have had two Cakewalk channels on YouTube I closed the old one out 

That old channel I started over 6 years ago, I had to dedicate that channel to something else. I deleted the old videos.

One of my live videos is over 7 hours long...

Skip over the parts that don't interest you. hehe.

And I started off with Master Tracks midi on a Commodore 64 until I graduated to Cakewalk for MSDOS.

My own original Cakewalk songs got 2 million listens last month...

Studio One for Cakewalk users? No thanks, I'll pass...

One caution, my oldest videos on my channel are sort of obsolete because I use different apps and techniques and they have evolved over time.

I still occasionally use Dimension Pro. lol

Mike has a great Cakewalk YouTube channel that has helped me in many instances as well.   

Edited by RexRed
typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2023 at 11:40 AM, AndyB01 said:

Not sure that dissing Mike is super helpful....

....better to just go elsewhere for your tutorials than to criticise the guy.

And nothing I said was intended to be critical of Mike. Very much the opposite, I think that he and his videos are great and I sympathize with his situation, both healthwise and professionally. I hope he gives Sonar a chance once it's on the market because he brings so much.

His Cakewalk vs. S1 videos are of service to the Cakewalk community because they emphasize what's at stake and how BandLab can't count on every CbB user to happily shell out for Sonar. The program will no longer be playing in the  "best free DAW" leagues. It's trying to make a comeback in the "best DAW for the money" leagues.

The competition have not been resting during Cakewalk's free period. Studio One Artist is now a $99 license (free if you buy a PreSonus interface) and supports VST plug-ins.

• Like 6

Fair comment - I think some of us might have been (hopefully unnecessarily) worried about the way the thread might go

I believe Mike is one of the good guys and I'm probably a bit over protective because of what I owe to his tutorials and the way he presents them. He has shown great candour in personal issues which I find warms me to him even more.  

• Like 2

Yep knew right away who it would be. If you watched his video he put out in June after the announcement he was jumping ship right then. He probably predicted how it would go down. 
And this whole loooonnnggg waiting since June doesn’t help. 

Free = huge user base and a million newbies. Great potential for tutorials. 

$$$= Same as every other DAW on the  market so not very many newbies. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 3

I'm not looking for reasons to do so, so feel free to keep them to yourself, but I'd find it very difficult to even find any reason to criticize Mike if someone asked me. He's done a TON to help the CbB user community, and if he has truly quit, his work stands and will be of great help to Sonar users in the future.

If touting or using a DAW other than my main one (I also have a license for S1 Artist and think it's stiff competition for Sonar) bothered me, I'd be bothered by a LOT of people (including myself). 😄

I don't think there's a "bad" DAW on the market. They're all great. Some of them lend themselves better to certain genres of music or styles of music production, but they all seem to do what they do very well, and even afford at least the ability to do things outside their specialty.

• Like 1