Studio One for Cakewalk Users

John Maar

I haven't found any other daw that has issues with asio4all, some even recommend it, so I suspect it's something specific to cake 🤷‍♂️ Possibly to do with the wdm code? 🤷‍♂️ Having said that, I've never had issues in cake with asio4all either 🤷‍♂️

Thanks all for the comments, I guess 🥴.

I will be installing Studio One..., did I say Studio 1,  or did I say Studio Wun... ooops I think you can tell I am an owner now.   Install is happening tonight after work.    Thanks for all of the great suggestions and things to look out for.  

I still love CbB, but I am tired of waiting for the new Sonar to come out .  If I am going to pay for a DAW, I think the one with an excellent External Hardware Insert structure is what I'd pay for.  "Pipeline XT" is awsome. and it it only cost me $180.00 wrapped up in a nifty DAW called Studio One  6 Pro.  🙃

• Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

I got S1 Artist with one of my interfaces, but I couldn't make friends with S1 at all. Already the startup page that seems not to be suspendable and the plugin selection that is totally bad arranged IMHO (pictures ...) put me off! Also I wonder if it is possible to disable the initial plugin scan that is nonsense in my opinion. But YMMV!

For me Reaper seems to be the best alternative to Sonar/CbB, although I miss mono tracks (that default to mono plugins and pan), Radius stretch algorithms, multi-level plugin organization and Sonar's convenient PRV. Other than that I only see advantages with Reaper (completely offline activation, portable install, superfast startup and updates, almost 100% stable, batch processing, lufs/rms normalization, good plugin compatibility, minimal resource consumption, ...).

1 hour ago, jesse g said:

Thanks all for the comments, I guess 🥴.

I will be installing Studio One..., did I say Studio 1,  or did I say Studio Wun... ooops I think you can tell I am an owner now.   Install is happening tonight after work.    Thanks for all of the great suggestions and things to look out for.  

I still love CbB, but I am tired of waiting for the new Sonar to come out .  If I am going to pay for a DAW, I think the one with an excellent External Hardware Insert structure is what I'd pay for.  "Pipeline XT" is awsome. and it it only cost me $180.00 wrapped up in a nifty DAW called Studio One  6 Pro.  🙃

You may consider changing your signature once you are totally committed to Studio Wun. 😋

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, jesse g said:

I think the one with an excellent External Hardware Insert structure is what I'd pay for.  "Pipeline XT" is awsome. and it it only cost me $180.00 wrapped up in a nifty DAW called Studio One  6 Pro.  🙃

You got a wee bit more than just that though. It wasn't till I saw a Dolby Atmos VST in the deals forum a few months back that I realized there even was such a thing. That is baked into 6.5 (and you got a bunch of other goodies too... you just don't know it yet).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:24 PM, mettelus said:

You got a wee bit more than just that though. It wasn't till I saw a Dolby Atmos VST in the deals forum a few months back that I realized there even was such a thing. That is baked into 6.5 (and you got a bunch of other goodies too... you just don't know it yet).

Mettelus,

I been investigating Dolby Atmos  for a while now.  I have checked out some of the so called low cost Dolby Atmos system like Kali Audio has and  I've cheeked out the make shift ones from using KRK monitors.

Thanks for the info. on expecting lots of GOODIES!! 😎

Edited by jesse g
  • Like 2

I watched Studio One 6 videos until I fell asleep.  There are sooooo many asweome features and the drag and drop is crazy efficient.   I quickly created a mix template for use and added my external hardware.  I do need a better way of organizing my plugins, but that will come as I learn more about the software.   

I am loving the number of tutorials that are available about S1  in general,  and the new features in S1 - 6.5.    Like I said, I love my Cakewalk by Bandlab, but Wow, Studio One  Pro  is so much butter.   Like an FX Channel/Buss can be created by dragging a plugin onto the send area of a Channel.  This happened automatically without me doing anything else but dragging and dropping!!     

That's just mind Blowing   image.png.9a313d7a46f2ea095c7fc8eb8af0a6e6.png

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jesse g said:

I do need a better way of organizing my plugins, but that will come as I learn more about the software.

The browser is text-searchable, so that will work most of the time, and a simple sort by vendor/type often gets the rest. I have a feeling that this will fall by the wayside for you over time. Getting caught up in organizing just ends up being a time sink for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

4 minutes ago, mettelus said:

The browser is text-searchable, so that will work most of the time, and a simple sort by vendor/type often gets the rest. I have a feeling that this will fall by the wayside for you over time. Getting caught up in organizing just ends up being a time sink for me.

I'm hoping for an AI upgrade that just knows what I'm thinking I want to add to the FX or sends. 🙂 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mettelus said:

Still I prefer to do a lot of plugin organization, even you are right about the downside (time sink!). The reason for me is that I am not really aware about all my (too many) plugins, thus what to search? But if I can organize e.g. all delays in a folder, then I have an overview and I am able to pick one of the choices! But YMMV! 

15 hours ago, Sistine said:

Still I prefer to do a lot of plugin organization, even you are right about the downside (time sink!). The reason for me is that I am not really aware about all my (too many) plugins, thus what to search? But if I can organize e.g. all delays in a folder, then I have an overview and I am able to pick one of the choices! But YMMV! 

I just watched this video and now my plugins organized the way I want to see them.

Studio One Plugin Organization

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think Lukas owns the Studio One Toolbox site, and being a developer, he put a lot of handy tools there that are not available specifically within S1 (he just coded other tools people might find useful, like pulling track templates from other project files). Even the main page is a drag/drop interface to convert Cubase Expression Maps/Patch Scripts or Cakewalk Instrument Definition Files into S1 "Sound Variations" (which are beefed up "Articulation Maps").

He also has 400 tutorial videos linked on that site binned into applicable categories, which speeds up searching for things as an alternative to blindly YTing for answers.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jesse g said:

I just watched this video and now my plugins organized the way I want to see them.

Studio One Plugin Organization

You might want to keep your eye on the right hand column of the start screen. You will often find some interesting stuff there. For whatever reason when they release an update\upgrade, the release notes are usually not 'complete' and you will find quite a few new 'features' shown/described by a couple of the dudes in short vids there as well. Also Anderton and his 'Friday Tip of the Week' and other stuff at times.

Seeing as you have some interest in the immersive stuff, atmos etc, if you scroll that back a little Anderton does a couple of articles on it that you may find interesting, simple but interesting. I think you can find most/all of his stuff here https://blog.presonus.com/category/friday-tip-of-the-week/

There is heaps of stuff for you to discover, and if you follow those little articles in the right hand column of the start screen by Gregor, Joe, Anderton and others you will find some gems which may otherwise not be so obvious. If I can find it, I will put the link here to a sh!t load of short to the point vids that you may find useful or interesting, if they are still there.

[edit]

Just in case you aren't aware, https://legacy.presonus.com/videos/player

and this may or may not be the collection of short vids I was thinking of,

https://legacy.presonus.com/videos/player/655/default/0

Best of luck 👍

Edited by heath row
Links
  • Thanks 1