Studio One for Cakewalk Users

John Maar

It’s like everyone round here bashes Pro Tools? I have a basic version I got free a few years ago and I found it very easy to use. I like it. Can’t say that about Cubase and Studio 1 which I also had installed back when things went sideways with Sonar. Bandlab saved me from having to switch.  
I just installed Home Studio on my rebuild older computer. There’s nothing else on it but Next. Clean as a whistle. 
I opened a CbB project with no problem other than a long list of missing plug ins. I quickly replaced with SI stuff and it sounds great. 
I think I’ll make a video about it with the title “This is what Sonar looks like. “. 

I can say without reservation that all my DAW products (CbB, Studio One, Reason, Bitwig, Cubase, Digital Performer, Mixbus/Mixbus 32C, Reaper and ProTools) have pluses and minuses of somewhat eqaul measure (just not the same ones).  Each one has its use for me and I use them when I need to.

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bapu said:

I can say without reservation that all of my 430,000+ plugins have pluses and minuses of somewhat equal measure (just not the same ones).  Each one takes up space for me on my computer and I count them when I need to.

Fyxed! 😁

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Folks,

PluginFox is running a sale for Studio One 6 crossgrade Purchase.  There are only a few days left to purchase  Studio One 6 at the crossgrade price of $209.99, as the sale ends December 31, 2023. Delivery is electronic only.  Other places are having a similar sale. 

Crossgrade from eligible DAWS:

• Cubase 5 or higher
  • Pro Tools 9 or higher
  • Nuendo 5 or higher
  • Logic Pro 9 or X
  • Sonar X2 or higher
  • Ableton Live 9 or higher
  • Digital Performer 7 or higher
  • Acid Pro 6 or higher
  • Reason 6 or higher
  • Reaper 4 or higher
  • Samplitude 9 or higher
  • Mixcraft 6 or higher
  • FL Studio 11 or higher
  • Bitwig Studio 2 or higher
  • Tracktion T7 or higher

Thomann has studio One 6 Pro Crossgrade for the price of $180.00 as a download.

Requirements: crossgradedable DAW: from

Live 9
Logic 9
Pro Tools 9
Cubase/Nuendo 5
Sonar X2
DP7
Acid Pro 6
Reason 6
Reaper 4
Samplitude 9
Mixcraft Pro 6
FL Studio 11
Bitwig Studio 2
Tracktion T7

16 hours ago, John Vere said:

It’s like everyone round here bashes Pro Tools?

I don't believe you've ever seen me do it. Unless you consider my reaction to their announcement of adding a cell-based workflow a couple of years ago, "Avid upholds their reputation for innovation." Don't worry, I'll get mine if the day ever comes that Sonar starts shipping with a bundled sampler (I mean again, did they stop because they thought that using samples to make music didn't have a future?).

Avid kinda lead with their chin what with the way they treat their userbase, the heavy pressure to subscribe and so forth. It's hard to find a PT lover who also likes the company that sells it. I've found that with a DAW, it's good to be able to see eye-to-eye for the most part with the people in charge of making it. Otherwise, too frustrating.

As for the software itself, my contact with it has been slight. It looks like they've done some good work on prettying up the UI recently. The new dark theme looks great, the color scheme reminds me of one of my own Cakewalk themes (Racing Green).

13 hours ago, Bapu said:

I can without reservation that all my DAW products (CbB, Studio One, Reason, Bitwig, Cubase, Digital Performer, Mixbus/Mixbus 32C, Reaper and ProTools) have pluses and minuses of somewhat eqaul measure (just not the same ones).  Each one has its use for me and I use them when I need to.

Just curious, which DAW are you using as your primary recording software?  

Hey all,

You CbB users who also have Studio One Pro 6.5 installed on along side of Cakewalk, have you had any problem with the two together ??

Thanks for any information you can provide on things to look out for.  

BAPU  ~~~>  I am pulling the trigger today.

39 minutes ago, jesse g said:

Hey all,

You CbB users who also have Studio One Pro 6.5 installed on along side of Cakewalk, have you had any problem with the two together ??

Thanks for any information you can provide on things to look out for.  

BAPU  ~~~>  I am pulling the trigger today.

I have no problems with all my DAWs except one niggle in ProTools. PT will not operate for me with my interface (Apollo) buffers over 1024. All the others work perfectly at 2048.

Whooo Hooo,

I am a proud Owner of Studio One 6 Pro

==============================

1x Presonus Studio One 6 Pro Crossgrade

Available immediately

$180

Shipping Costs:

Total Price:  $180

Thomann GmbH, Hans-Thomann-Straße 1, 96138 Burgebrach, Germany
Phone: (+49) 9546-9223-55, Fax: (+49) 9546-9223-24, email: international@thomann.de

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jesse g said:

Whooo Hooo,

I am a proud Owner of Studio One 6 Pro

==============================

1x Presonus Studio One 6 Pro Crossgrade

Available immediately

$180

Shipping Costs:

Total Price:  $180

Phone: (+49) 9546-9223-55, Fax: (+49) 9546-9223-24, email: international@thomann.de

It takes a while to transition to Studio One from Cakewalk.  All of the features are there and more, but they are often called by another name.  YouTube is your friend.  

I now prefer the work flow in v6.5 over Cakewalk.  I never thought I would say that after 20 years as a hardcore user. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, michaelhanson said:

It takes a while to transition to Studio One from Cakewalk.  All of the features are there and more, but they are often called by another name.  YouTube is your friend.  

The only feature that hasn't been added yet that I missed from SONAR was the ability to use a wav editor from inside S1P (I put that request in 5 years ago now). However, there are VSTs out that can do that functionality, so it "sorta" went away if you have one of those. The transition to S1P  itself is best done to work a simple project start to finish to get acquainted with the GUI (the wheres, whats, and hows). Being a "one-page" default layout, there is a lot of keyboard shortcut activity involved to get speed proficiency, but there are also a lot of unassigned shortcuts for rather nifty features.

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, if it hadn’t been for this thread, I wouldn’t have known the fax number to Thomann.

19 hours ago, jesse g said:

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, michaelhanson said:

I now prefer the work flow in v6.5 over Cakewalk.  I never thought I would say that after 20 years as a hardcore user.

for me i found s1 very intuitive and just dove right in, hardly had to check the manual at all (and i never check yt vids, i hate watching vids as a learning thing, i'd rather read about it), just the occasional "where is this hidden?" thing... if you know a daw already you'll get right along with it

Edited by pwal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, paulo said:

How can you tell if someone that you only just met is a studio one user ?

They've already told you three times.

With REAPER you don't get a chance to meet them because they'll be too busy setting it up and customizing it to leave the house.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:05 AM, jesse g said:

I can only speak for S1 Artist, but as with any of the DAW's I have installed over the years (Mixcraft, Ableton Live, Waveform, REAPER, Music Maker), I've only ever had one issue with a DAW installation interfering with another. And it doesn't apply to S1.

Products by Steinberg (and sometimes MAGIX) just love to install their own rebranded ASIO4ALL WASAPI-to-ASIO wrapper, which will then show up as an available driver in the other programs. Fortunately, it's easily removed, and as I said, it's only Steinberg and MAGIX who I have seen doing it.

ASIO4ALL is pretty useless if your program supports WASAPI Exclusive. It seems to cause trouble for some Cakewalk users who have tried using it, although it never bothered my system when I used it in programs that don't support WASAPI (c'mon Ableton, get with the program, well, driver as the case may be), or even when I tried it with Cakewalk.

• Thanks 1