The Annual "Show us Your Booty" Thread!

cclarry

These are my purchases for the month of November.

• UAD Signature Bundle -  $150
  • Studio One Pro upgrade to V.6.5 - $90
  • Fuse Audio Labs VCS-1 - $15

Second Hand:

• Reason 12 - $110
  • Ableton Live Standard 11  - $129
  • Sir Audio Standard Clip - $10

And that's it for this year.

Until Larry posts another irresistible deal! 😃 

Edited by psionx
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, antler said:

Just a thought - have you considered the AudioModeling SWAM instruments?

I'm not convinced by any of the demos I've heard. I think they've made them so easy to play on piano that they don't have a realistic sound. For example: 

They seem much more suited to big pop mixes, but not for intimate soloing. They do not sound realistic to me (at all).

Compare to, say, Tina Guo Acoustic Cello (from almost 10 years ago): 

^^ That is incredible sounding IMO. It's my favorite virtual solo instrument of all time. Actually, almost favorite. The Cinebrass Core / Pro solo brass (especially the horns) are incredible. Also from 10+ years ago - something was in the air 10 years ago, because not many libraries have caught up to these still. I think it also comes down the players. Nothing can replace a world-class soloist playing even single notes one at a time. They inject that artistic style into every single note.

The Youtube demos of Performance Samples upcoming Vista II release are sounding very promising though.

Edited by Carl Ewing

11 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

That is incredible sounding IMO. It's my favorite virtual solo instrument of all time. Actually, almost favorite. The Cinebrass Core / Pro solo brass (especially the horns) are incredible. Also from 10+ years ago - something was in the air 10 years ago, because not many libraries have caught up to these still. I think it also comes down the players. Nothing can replace a world-class soloist playing even single notes one at a time. They inject that artistic style into every single note.

The Youtube demos of Performance Samples upcoming Vista II release are sounding very promising though.

Any idea how the Cinesamples Musio 1 Tina Guo compares to the Kontakt version?

I looked at TG for $99 but with just 200 bucks extra, I would get access to rest of the stuff as well...

• Great Idea 1

27 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

They seem much more suited to big pop mixes, but not for intimate soloing. They do not sound realistic to me (at all).

Compare to, say, Tina Guo Acoustic Cello (from almost 10 years ago): 

I'm not sure that's the best comparison to Tina Guo, as that's that newer (small) ensemble instrument. They've got solo instruments too; here's a demo of their solo Cello (at 13:32)

They definitely need more work to play though (in that you'll need to control multiple cc at once for the various aspects, rather than having the performance baked into the samples).

4 minutes ago, Kirean said:

Any idea how the Cinesamples Musio 1 Tina Guo compares to the Kontakt version?

I looked at TG for $99 but with just 200 bucks extra, I would get access to rest of the stuff as well...

Interesting. Hadn't tried it yet (have Musio). Just compared:

The Kontakt version has two version - regular and "Classic". It also has two mixes - "Raw Mix" and "Tim's" mix. I've only ever used the "Tim's Mix". It seems Musio uses the Raw mix. I think Musio also uses the regular version and not "classic", and I prefer Classic with Tim's Mix.

However - going back and forth between the "Raw Mix" regular version in Kontakt and the Musio version, they seem very close. But the Kontakt version is much easier to play, especially with dynamics. That might a scripting difference. I think it's the same samples, but the Kontakt one seems to respond better to mod wheel touches and legato seems much better.

The thing about Musio though is that you would also get the expansion, which has 13 additional articulations (sul pont, pizzicato, fx, opens strings, marcato, etc.) which are an additional paid library for Kontakt. So I'd say that although it isn't exactly the same as the Kontakt version, it's still quite good, and you'd get the expansion as well. Definitely worth it. They've just added a solo Violin to Musio as well (Taylor Davis violin, which is seprate from the CineStrings solo stuff)) but I haven't tried it out much yet. That $299 is a crazy deal imo. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, antler said:

I'm not sure that's the best comparison to Tina Guo, as that's that newer (small) ensemble instrument. They've got solo instruments too; here's a demo of their solo Cello (at 13:32)

They definitely need more work to play though (in that you'll need to control multiple cc at once for the various aspects, rather than having the performance baked into the samples).

That does not sound good to me for a cello. Doesn't help that he's not even trying to play it like a bowed instrument. But it really doesn't sound natural at all, even the sustains. However, it has a cool almost synth / acoustic hybrid tone that would make it useful for other stuff - especially since the envelope can be totally flat, even on soft sustained start. Would go well with distortion! Will check out more of their stuff, as I find some of the sample modelled stuff (like PianoTeq) great for sound design / experiments, but I don't usually think they sound convincing as acoustic instruments.

As a comparison - although it's not released yet, this what the upcoming Performance Samples Vista II solos are sounding like. They've been releasing some scripting ideas they're experimenting with. This is more what I'm looking for, so I'm likely going to wait for it to get released:

Spectre Digital Element Bass (intro pricing)
Neural DSP Darkglass Ultra Suite
Analogue Drums Plastique & Gorilla
Unify
STL Tones Control Hub Expansions: Atrium Studios, Kevin & Kain Churko, Kris Crummet
BOZ Digital Labs New York L Pianos (intro pricing)
BFD Dark Farm
Cubase 13 (not really a deal, typical upgrade price, but snagged it anyway)
PhasePlant and then completed the Kilohearts Ultimate Bundle with my $200 discount code from my past years subscription.
With my Avid Inner Circle $100 off I got Plugin Alliance MEGA XXL for a year for $200 (for the 10 plugins voucher to be used next December)

Edited by Bapu
  • Like 5

I tried hard to keep it under control:

- Melda's MTremoloMB and MSoundFactory LE (based on opinions here and elsewhere, though I kind of have my doubts about this one, especially if I won't be able to use the drum samples with it; I hope I'm wrong)

- Liquidsonics Reverberate 3 (I demo-ed Tai Chi and love it, but just can't afford it right now, as I'd like the full version)  

- Tonex SE (long time coming) and a $3 so-so tone pack

- One of the 8dio Soundpaint saxophones 

Still to come:

- grudgingly, but I think I'll get an Ilok key; my old OS drive died and it's a hassle to recover some of the licenses (cough, Exponential Audio <- first and foremost, Air Music, Sonivox)

- I should have waited with one of the JRR purchases to pick up the Inspirata Lite freebie, which I want; hopefully I'll find something cheap but useful to get it

- same as above for Pluginboutique, as I want the Dawesome Love 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

17 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Spectre Digital Element Bass
Neural DSP Darkglass Ultra Suite
Analogue Drums Plastique & Gorilla
Unify
STL Tones Control Hub Expansions: Atrium Studios, Kevin & Kain Churko, Kris Crummet
BOZ Digital Labs New York L Pianos
BFD Dark Farm
Cubase 13

Welcome to Unify - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, especially with synth plugins you already own. I've learned a lot from John's weekly livestreams. Many of them involve Unify libraries for products I don't own like Omnisphere but it's a good way of learning more about those. The U-he Zebra2 Unify library is good. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Doug Steinschneider said:

Welcome to Unify - ......like Omnisphere but it's a good way of learning more about those. The U-he Zebra2 Unify library is good. 

Uh oh sounds like another money pit looming ahead for me. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I briefly flirted with the idea of getting Arturia v collection but this led to asking Arturia support some simple questions and by the end of that experience I no longer felt like giving them money. My own fault really, I should have known better than to expect them to just answer a question in a manner that suggested that they had actually read the question.😕

I was hoping there might be some attractive deals on midi controllers, but no luck there either.

Nothing else that I saw in software terms made me even begin to contemplate thinking about maybe considering the possibility of perhaps moving towards the prospect of potentially exchanging monetary tokens in order to further the likelihood of being able to describe myself as a licenced user of it.

TLDR version : nothing to see here.

• Like 1

The following deals were too good to pass up.

UAD Essentials bundle

Ozone Standard 

BFD Dark Farm

BFD Modern Rock Grooves

I'm still looking for a Session Horns Pro UG, but like every year, there's no real BF deal.

P.S.

BX Oberhausen

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 3

iZotope VocalSynth 2                                $25,00
Gforce ImpOscar 2                                     $17,00
Escape Motions Rebelle 7 Pro             $30,00
SonicLab Oscillator Bundle                   $61,00

Next month I'll get the 8Dio Studio Orchestral Bundle for $98 and I'm planning to renew my Roland Cloud subscription,

• Like 1