[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]

can we get the external insert plugin fixed before the official release of this last version?  The external insert plugin outputs everything to stereo, even when you feed it a mono track.  my mono plugins after the insert will not then work.    For example,  a mono lead vocal going through the external insert plugin should not come back as a stereo signal on the mono track.

9 hours ago, Will. said:

Well, im pretty sure the average person understands that if you service your vehicle regularly, you wont have any issue with it for that time period until its next service.  How tedious the wait might be. 

Maintenance yes, but replacing it (as you do) is different.

No issues here since updating to W11 (none in W10 that i can remember except a Focusrite driver error, which they fixed) ….. 

But if it works for you, fair enough

2 hours ago, Will. said:

Who said im replacing my system? I'm then only doing maintenance every 3rd month or so on it, by doing a clean install of my OS.

hi will,

that is not an option. i don't have a system that i only keep for music, and don't touch with anything else, i have hundreds of plugins, and dozens of programs, i don't have stock settings on anything, everything on the desktop is personalized, a clean reinstall probably means a week to reinstate the computer to what it looked like before. i can't do that every few weeks, i'd kill myself. i do maintenance fur sure, updates, some registry cleaning - i don't how good that is, in itself, but it's necessary.

i did it a few times - clean reinstall - during these almost 4 years now, probably, but it's always been just a matter of time before things get corrupted again - sometimes a matter of days. I've worked with 7 interfaces, and 4-5 OSes, from Windows 7 to, now, Window 11. And the rest of the system I've changed twice - motherboard, CPU, RAM. these problems have always been a constant. and most of them do not even involve plugins - although they sure do, many times.

i think there's an issue with managing RAM, i think there's one with the way the registry is handled - including cleaned - by CW, and i believe there's an issue with the way it works with graphics. many times CW sees less available ram than there is, sometimes it loads on red the same project it usually loads on green, with room to spare, stuff like that, then the first affected is the night light - which i have on by default, it seems to not work with the graphics adapter very well. and OpenGL plugins seem to be a big problem for it. the plugins it seems to have a problem with most are OpenGL. couldn't tell you more about that than this. just reset the tape settings again. that's the third time for this project.

Edited by Olaf

I've seen two new issues that I haven't seen before.

1. Melody (Studio) will stop responding to mouse control such as moving a blob or changing functions. I can still control Cakewalk itself. I have to close the region and reopen. It will work for awhile (hours) and then stop responding again. I left it once for an hour and it never came back.

2. I've had Cakewalk lock up and stop responding. No errors or crashes. You can't do anything and have to kill the processes and restart.

Obviously both of these could  be totally unrelated to the update but nothing has otherwise changed. If I can find a way to reproduce them I will submit.

41 minutes ago, Terry Kelley said:

I've seen two new issues that I haven't seen before.

1. Melody (Studio) will stop responding to mouse control such as moving a blob or changing functions. I can still control Cakewalk itself. I have to close the region and reopen. It will work for awhile (hours) and then stop responding again. I left it once for an hour and it never came back.

2. I've had Cakewalk lock up and stop responding. No errors or crashes. You can't do anything and have to kill the processes and restart.

Obviously both of these could  be totally unrelated to the update but nothing has otherwise changed. If I can find a way to reproduce them I will submit.

Melodyne Studio, 10 min joggling blops, everything fine in my system.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but  "https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation/Home" and related links to the online documentation seems to not work (including Menu Bar > Help > Documentation which for me points to "legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x184C5" ATM).

Edited by User 905133

13 hours ago, Vyacheslav said:

I installed my studio system in 2013 and haven't reinstalled it since. In the meantime, I've made many updates to many programs (including Cakewalk by BandLab). My entire studio system works flawlessly.

Sometimes I do system maintenance. Then I save it to an image, and in case of problems, I restore the system from this image.

Same here. My main DAW dates to 2015. I've been using Cakewalk since 2.0a for DOS on an 80286, and have never done a clean re-install of the same O/S except when upgrading a mobo. I can imagine cirumstances in which severe corruption might necessitate it, but I would never recommend it as a solution in the absence of clear evidence of such corruption.

• Like 1

Greetings!  I have never posted in this forum before, but developments with the new Sonar and eventual phasing out of CbB got my attention in a big way.  I've become very dependent on Cakewalk over the last five years or so, and it's been absolutely fantastic for my purposes.  Of course, one of the greatest things about it has been that it's free!  So, now my question is this:  Will it continue to be necessary going forward (as apparently it always has been) to reauthorize it periodically?  If so, will that remain possible after Sonar is out?  That is, once I've downloaded the final update, can I continue using CbB indefinitely provided I'm happy with it never being updated again?  Thanks either way - Cakewalk is terrific!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but  "https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation/Home" and related links to the online documentation seems to not work (including Menu Bar > Help > Documentation which for me points to "legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x184C5" ATM).

This appears to be an issue with the legacy site on the back end. We're looking into it. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mondor said:

Will it continue to be necessary going forward (as apparently it always has been) to reauthorize it periodically?  If so, will that remain possible after Sonar is out?  That is, once I've downloaded the final update, can I continue using CbB indefinitely provided I'm happy with it never being updated again?

Yes. There is an indication from things said in the OP of this thread that CbB will be available indefinitely and activation every so often will still be required. Take note that you should most likely wait for the official release and do not install this early release unless you are willing to be a Guinea pig.  

Edited by Bass Guitar

Can I urge that another interim release is done before the public version, with an updated list of bug fixes, taking into account any work which has been done since the first early access release.  Especially important if this is going to be the final release of Cakewalk by Bandlab.

And maybe give us a deadline for final testing of that interim release so we don't get caught on the hop!

Thanks

• Great Idea 1

CWAFtool not working.

CWAFtool complained about projects updated in the new early access version.

I guess Cakewalk will need to supply a new version of CWAFtool. 

But in the meantime, I assume it just needs to update a line in its .ini file, so in file:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\CWAF\CWAFtool.ini

in the "[Options]" section, I updated the "SupportedProjectVersion" line to:

SupportedProjectVersion=29.09.0.xxx

Then CWAFtool seemed to work ok.  Hope I did ok.

The update went perfectly and I recorded tracks on a new project and used my usual assortment of plugins without issues. 

However, while editing a vocal track in Melodyne, it crashes. No particular action seems to trigger the crash either, just working in the Melodyne window.

Prior to this update, Cakewalk never crashed while using Melodyne.

16 hours ago, Paul Mondor said:

So, now my question is this:  Will it continue to be necessary going forward (as apparently it always has been) to reauthorize it periodically?  If so, will that remain possible after Sonar is out?  That is, once I've downloaded the final update, can I continue using CbB indefinitely provided I'm happy with it never being updated again?

14 hours ago, Bass Guitar said:

Yes. There is an indication from things said in the OP of this thread that CbB will be available indefinitely and activation every so often will still be required.

On 9/3/2023 at 12:06 AM, Wookiee said:

It has been stated that CbB will no longer be supported, it may even fade into the history once Cakewalk Sonar (a paid version of CbB) and Cakewalk Next are released.

• Morten Saether changed the title to Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]
  • Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2023.09 Early Access [Updated to Build 62]