The suspense is killing me.....

Skyline_UK

10 hours ago, Wookiee said:

What i5?

I got the bit faster cpu 4x 2,70GHz, not the typical slower one which is around 2,50GHz (still fine imo)... it's working like a breeze, man :D

but I don't do any gaming

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Note with respect to NEXT it will need minimum a processor with 8-core CPU

https://www.cakewalk.com/next

So i think systems will need Core i7 / Ryzen 7 to use CAKEWALK NEXT? I imagine that cuts down the userbase numbers, many who would use older systems? I didnt bother signing up for the beta access because of that - All my systems are Core i5 

My eyes are seeing "Suggested Specs" not "Minimum Requirements." In my personal experience, SONAR/Cakewalk has traditionally worked with less than what is usually suggested.  Of course, in the past, with less than that, users may not be able to "push the limits," but in my experience the software's features do work with less than what has been suggested.

I am not going to jump to another DAW just because I do not have the suggested specs.  

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

I can say now that I was running CbB on far less than the suggested specs for Sonar has on the product page. It wasn't ideal but it worked. Considering Sonar is more or less (at least at the beginning) CbB with a refreshed UI, I'd feel pretty confident in saying that those specs are a "this will make your life comfortable using this product" guides rather than "oh... you have THAT processor? How awkward...." not gonna run specs.

4 hours ago, chris.r said:

yup, I got the bit faster cpu 4x 2,70GHz, not the typical slower one which is around 2,50GHz (still fine imo)... it's working like breeze man :D

but I don't do any gaming

Just a tad slow , is that flat out 2.7 or will it run faster?

There are peeps running on that spec.

51 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Just a tad slow , is that flat out 2.7 or will it run faster?

There are peeps running on that spec.

it's i5-3340M.. if you're asking about hyperthreading or anything along that lines then I'm not inclined enough to tell 😅 but it's a great cheap 2nd hand Latitue laptop and for me, for any non-gaming tasks, it's doing a fine job and as for music software, I can run almost everything except probably the most demanding ones, that I don't use anyway

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about recommended specs. As others have noted above, the recommended specs are just that - recommendations. Not requirements.

Of course, if you run on a potato you're gonna have to be creative sometimes, e.g. freezing tracks, using large buffers and holding off on mastering until the end. But we've all been there and know it's do-able.

My guess is that if your system handles CbB OK today it will handle Next, even if Next is not as heavily optimized as Sonar is due to it being multi-platform. 

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Note with respect to NEXT it will need minimum a processor with 8-core CPU

https://www.cakewalk.com/next

So i think systems will need Core i7 / Ryzen 7 to use CAKEWALK NEXT? I imagine that cuts down the userbase numbers, many who would use older systems? I didnt bother signing up for the beta access because of that - All my systems are Core i5 

These are just suggested specs.

FWIW, I recorded 16 simultaneous tracks in Next while playing back an existing 32 tracks on a 2.0Ghz / 4 core Intel Celeron J4125 with 8GB of RAM... and this was to an external USB 3 SSD.  No plugins though.

I did the same in CbB and had no issues there either.

The specs are intentionally on the higher side, as people generally want to load their project up with plugins.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2023 at 10:27 PM, JohnnyV said:

If you read what they said, all they are doing with CbB is a few bug fixes they had already worked out before they switched over to working on the new products. My guess is that was ready to release back in December.  People keep excepting the last update of CbB will have new stuff added??  Why would they do that. You want new stuff? from now on you pay for it and it's called Sonar.

The only "new feature" many are hoping for is the removal of the authorization time out. But I wouldn't put money on that either. They still might want to track how many people are still using CbB and not upgrading to Sonar. That is valuable information for a business to have. Say 2 years from now they still see a huge majority of people are still using CbB and Sonar is not doing that well. If it was my business I would most certainly pull the plug on the free version.  

Next is a totally different kettle of fish and I have a feeling it will be the winner for them. 

There is obviously a good reason why they want to release everything all at once. 

Ah, I see today the are releasing an EA (2023.09).   Gotta check this one out.

Kind regards,

tecknoit

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm not saying that there has been a video of it on a popular video sharing platform for a month or so now and I'm not suggesting that people could easily look for that if they're really so desperate to see what it looks like.

😉

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

13 hours ago, paulo said:

I'm not saying that there has been a video of it on a popular video sharing platform for a month or so now and I'm not suggesting that people could easily look for that if they're really so desperate to see what it looks like.

😉

I haven't seen anything... any chance you could share a link, for us?

Much appreciated !

17 hours ago, paulo said:

😉

24 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

Thread will get locked for certain if such a thing was shared.

Just google it.  Took me 5 seconds to find it.

Could you possibly not say what to google?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jfrommichigan said:

any chance you could share a link, for us?

Someone already did that and it was deleted by the overlords PDQ. That's how you can tell something is true these days!

17 hours ago, Jimbo 88 said:

could you possibly not say what to google?

I couldn't possibly bring myself to endorse the use of the g word. Eeuww. I feel dirty now from just having to read that word. 

But if you must, I hope you wash your hands after typing that word and I'm not saying that you shouldn't be specific about what year it is.