The suspense is killing me.....

Skyline_UK

Honestly, I'd pay for it as is.

But I sure hope they didn't break it to make it look and act like everything else.  The only thing that I find that's even close for my work flow is Cubase.  Even that has some crucial problems for me.  Probably my own fault for using one DAW for 30 years.

I'm not scared to use the free version as long as possible if the new Sonar changes too much.  Hell...I used Pro Audio 5 for about a decade because it did exactly what I needed it to do.  But that was a lot easier to do in an era where you could avoid OS updates and you never let your machine on the internet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2023 at 1:46 PM, HOOK said:

Honestly, I'd pay for it as is.

But I sure hope they didn't break it to make it look and act like everything else.  The only thing that I find that's even close for my work flow is Cubase.  Even that has some crucial problems for me.  Probably my own fault for using one DAW for 30 years.

I'm not scared to use the free version as long as possible if the new Sonar changes too much.  Hell...I used Pro Audio 5 for about a decade because it did exactly what I needed it to do.  But that was a lot easier to do in an era where you could avoid OS updates and you never let your machine on the internet.

The UI is being updated to use vector graphics so it can be scalable and DPI aware. The button icons will likely be updated but will all be in the same place as before, so there should be zero changes to your workflow.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Great Idea 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, User 905133 said:

A watched kettle will boil eventually, but instead of watching it boil you could be making music.  😜 

Who says we're not?!  I've done 2 projects since June 6.

😜🙂John B

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, User 905133 said:

A watched kettle will boil eventually, but instead of watching it boil you could be making music.  😜 

20 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

Maybe once a day or a few times a week for me.  You know the expression  "A watched pot never boils".

14 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

Who says we're not?!  I've done 2 projects since June 6.

Glad you took my hint.  😉 

On 7/27/2023 at 4:39 PM, msmcleod said:

The UI is being updated to use vector graphics so it can be scalable and DPI aware. The button icons will likely be updated but will all be in the same place as before, so there should be zero changes to your workflow.

Hats off if the Bakers have managed to create a fully scalable, vector-based GUI that looks pretty much like CbB. I remember that Ben Staton in a post three years ago mentioned that a revision of the GUI was about to begin late 2020, so there have definitely been a major code rewrite going on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2023 at 12:39 AM, msmcleod said:

I think I understand the enormity of the undertaking that Cakewalk is implementing with this change. So if I do understand it correctly, SONAR will look the same as CbB does now but the graphic elements will have greater flexibility in how they can be manipulated behind the scenes, opening up greater options in the future.

Surely there will be new features to see and play with, otherwise there is no perceived upgrade. Or have I misunderstood completely?

On 7/24/2023 at 10:15 PM, Lord Tim said:

From what I understand, this new scalable interface is like a year's worth of update alone, even if nothing else was added. I know that doesn't sound particularly sexy or groundbreaking to differentiate it from CbB but the ramifications of this going forward is huge. But I'd be super surprised if there wasn't a heap of other stuff being done aside from that too.

^^ Yeah, pretty much still this I'd say.

3 hours ago, Michael Vogel said:

I think I understand the enormity of the undertaking that Cakewalk is implementing with this change. So if I do understand it correctly, SONAR will look the same as CbB does now but the graphic elements will have greater flexibility in how they can be manipulated behind the scenes, opening up greater options in the future.

Surely there will be new features to see and play with, otherwise there is no perceived upgrade. Or have I misunderstood completely?

There will definitely be new features, and a fair few have already been baked. How many more we'll be able to implement before release is limited by the effort taken in the new UI work.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, petemus said:

I wonder what the Theme Editor will be like... I would imagine it needs a major overhaul as well, if they're gone from raster to vector graphics.

There's a strong possibility that full Theme Editing won't be available in the first release, as it won't be an overhaul - it'll be a complete rewrite.

• Like 3

Note with respect to NEXT it will need minimum a processor with 8-core CPU

https://www.cakewalk.com/next

So i think systems will need Core i7 / Ryzen 7 to use CAKEWALK NEXT? I imagine that cuts down the userbase numbers, many who would use older systems? I didnt bother signing up for the beta access because of that - All my systems are Core i5 

Edited by aidan o driscoll
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

There's a strong possibility that full Theme Editing won't be available in the first release, as it won't be an overhaul - it'll be a complete rewrite.

Yeah, one would imagine that, if the graphics now are SVG or suh scalable vector thingies...

11 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

I didnt bother signing up for the beta access because of that - All my systems are Core i5

Core i5 on my testing machine here too. I have another, i7 production machine, but I don't do tests there.

EDIT: just realized that "i5" probably doesn't say much about the speed of a CPU 😂

my i5 is the 3340M (up to 4x 3.40GHz, base speed is 2.70), and my i7 is the 6700 (max 8x 4.00GHz.. base 3.40)

Edited by chris.r