Mac Studio 2023 First Look: Small Build, Massive M2 Power

cclarry

The M2 Ultra version of the Mac Studio comes with up to 192GB of memory, and as much as 8TB of solid-state storage. Note that in configuring your Studio system for purchase, the new M2 Ultra comes in a choice of two graphics levels: a 60-core GPU, or a 76-core version. The M2 Ultra version of the Studio starts at $3,999, but with all the possible upgrades, the top configuration sells for $8,799.

Too pricy for me... (too Mac-y as well...)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Looks nice.
If anyone is going to be giving one away - let me be the first to say "HEY, OVER HERE!" (waiving arms frantically)

I'd definitely like one, but even more - I'd like to be able to afford one (without going into debt, selling off my car, etc.) LOL.

Edit:
I own a lot of PCs and support a family of PC owners.  I also own several Macs (LOL the newest being a 2012 Mini Mac). At my day gig I support both PCs and Macs (and other stuff).
When it comes time to replace my current main computer I might just go Mac* - it all depends on multitude of factors such as cashflow, what's my day gig, whether there's a Mac version of Cakewalk (that's worth a crap), etc..
*I'd still keep my Windows computers...  

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fleer said:

My 2012 MacBook Pro still running fine :)

You're lucky, we have had 2 dead Imacs and a dead MBP...belong to my wife & kids not me. I took them apart and they all overheated and fried the Logic board..which Apple won't sell you.  Just poor thermal design to make them look sleek. Give me an ATX case any day.

I did just buy my wife an M2 Mac Mini to replace the 2014 model she is still running, to be fair that's done well but I was disgusted at the price of the extra storage...£200 to go from a virtually laughable 256gb to a still small 512gb SSD that costs about £40. The fact they are non-user upgradeable is insane to me. 

But..she wont' use a PC so what can I do. Thankfully the kids have grown up gamers and all wanted PC's which we built together.   

• Like 5

Same DAC or Audio Interface on a Macbook Air M1 vs a PC sounds different (On  a Macbook sounds better).

I don't expect you to believe me.

I will put it this way: playback sounds cleaner vs an ethereal noise if you will, it's not noise, to me just sounds lower quality, maybe a better explanation would be it sounds dithered).

That's my experience, probably only bothers me to death while the rest of the world is just fine with it.

If I won the lottery you bet your azz I would buy one or 2 of these fully specced 😍

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Last Call said:

Same DAC or Audio Interface on a Macbook Air M1 vs a PC sounds different (On  a Macbook sounds better).

I don't expect you to believe me.

I will put it this way: playback sounds cleaner vs an ethereal noise if you will, it's not noise, to me just sounds lower quality, maybe a better explanation would be it sounds dithered).

That's my experience, probably only bothers me to death while the rest of the world is just fine with it.

If I won the lottery you bet your azz I would buy one or 2 of these fully specced 😍

As long as you back your claims with actual test data which confirms it, we'll believe in you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

My closet use to have old socket A boards with Athlon XP processors, A P4, PhenomII systems, and if I piece back my Q6600 system they'd all run fine. People would buy those budget laptops,  HSN PCs, all loaded with crapware. along with the cheapest components possible.  I've gotten my moneys worth from building my own systems.  I'm not a laptop person but I would tell people go with Macs if they are serious about a laptop.   

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

As long as you back your claims with actual test data which confirms it, we'll believe in you.

Yeah, as I mentioned in my comment, I don't expect you to believe, and not gonna bother. Each one has a journey of their own and I am too busy living in mine.  Cheers.

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

Another here with the same hardware :)

MacBook Pro 2012 and 2013 with the same configuration
32 Gb RAM and 2 Hard Disks (I replaced the DVD for a hard disk, and the DVD is an external drive now)

Ableton Live Suite and a lot of plugins/samples/etc

Edited by Niky Serrano

10 hours ago, Fleer said:

I have a late 2012 27" imac that still works fine too - I run ableton live 11 suite on it with a second setup (I use m1 mac mini with main).

12 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

I'd fear after paying it off, Apple will turn it into a doorstop.   I'd hate to be Apple brainwashed.    

So all those people who choose apple are just idiot drones in your mind. Seems you can't contemplate a world where people rationally weigh up the pros and cons and decide apple is the best fit for them. Either way, it's pretty sad that you seem to hold a significant slice of the membership here in contempt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Paul_in_wales said:

I have a late 2012 27" imac that still works fine too - I run ableton live 11 suite on it with a second setup (I use m1 mac mini with main).

So all those people who choose apple are just idiot drones in your mind. Seems you can't contemplate a world where people rationally weigh up the pros and cons and decide apple is the best fit for them. Either way, it's pretty sad that you seem to hold a significant slice of the membership here in contempt. 

Nope. People buy them because they just work well without little issues.   I wouldn't want to be a slave to a hardware company like Apple.  We are not the average consumer that Apple attracts.  In every system I have I can upgrade as much as I want.  Windows is designed to be backwards compatible with most hardware.   I'm ware of the pos and cons but I wouldn't want to be an Apple fanboy. 

Their biggest mistake was those cheese grater Macs.  Those things were so upgrade-able I was seriously thinking about buying one.  So they change their OS  to null those out.  

If I were to ever spend decent money on a laptop it would overwhelmingly be a Mac.

Edited by kitekrazy

You know what.... ?

I'm gonna get me one.

Not the cheap one either.....

I'm getting the $8799 all singing and dancing one....

I just want to find out what it feels like to have too much money.

• Haha 1