Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

I'm old so the CbB I do have is more DAW than I'll ever need.

I hope the final CbB will have a complete installer we can download of the latest and last that we can squirrel away for offline reinstall on some future date. 

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 2

Something tells me that, despite we are all speculating about our beloved Sonar and its price, the real future of Cakewalk, the app intended to be one step ahead in the future DAW market, and the one that means the survival of Cakewalk for "next" 15 years, is Next. We should pay a bit more attention about what happens with Cakewalk Next::.

Edited by MarianoGF
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and we are def interested in any workflow changes that enable more efficient production. You can check out Next today by signing up for the beta eval. 

In next there is also track bounce in place. Doing that in Sonar just requires choosing bounce to track with the same destination track but I hear your point about streamlining this.

If I add bounce tracks in place to sonar will you buy it? 😜

If you add Repeat, I will buy it. I’ll probably buy it anyway, but so many times I would like to repeat many things that I wonder why we don’t have that function. It  would make my workflow much quicker. A quick example would be lowering or raising the pitch of a midi file in one instrument and then selecting any other midi clip and selecting Repeat without having to go into Transpose. Same thing wit an audio clip. Same thing with quantizing. 

Say you apply a specific delay for a guitar track and want to apply that very specific delay to a piano track. Repeat can do this.

2 hours ago, MarianoGF said:

the real future of Cakewalk ... is Next.

finally?! the topic that should be -so- much more interesting than all the subscription/gibson/etc angst. imagine it's a bit too early to get into it but intrigued by the potential, wondering about the roadmap, perhaps a new thread makes sense?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'd also point out that Cakewalk has several other features that other DAW's lack or are only just catching up to.
Every user is going to find something lacking in any given DAW at any time, so its in their best interest to find one that satisfies most of their needs, or use multiple DAW's...

I have to agree; I have also been using Cubase Pro 12. If I need to record a VSTi drum kit, instead of routing the output of each drum piece directly to an audio track, I have to create a group for each piece and, after creating the group, create audio tracks to receive the output from these groups. In Cakewalk, on the other hand, I can simply insert an audio track and select one of the VSTi outputs as the input.

Indeed, what you gain in one DAW, you lose in another, and so on. The key is to learn to deal with the limitations of each one and see which one suits the musical style we produce best.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

I'm not sure what you mean by remote control

A simple remote control app for iOS and Android.

Here's another. It was a big factor in my decision to go with Mixcraft almost 10 years ago:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.acoustica.ControlSurface&hl=en_US&gl=US

Simple transport control, but man, for situations like recording yourself at the drums, it's valuable.

Of course, once introduced, you open yourself up to endless feature requests to implement mixer control and whatnot, but it is a very useful feature.

AFAIK, at least Logic, Mixcraft, and Studio One all have one. Pro Tools, too, probably.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

If you add Repeat, I will buy it.. I wonder why we don’t have that function. It  would make my workflow much quicker.

Not a bad idea which could be really handy but for the examples you gave you could just select multiple clips ( Ctrl - click ) and then use  the Process menu to apply it to all of them in one go.

Another option I've used is to get a Stream Deck and program the buttons with macros of the things I use the most. I quite often want to transpose certain midi clips up or down an octave. This can be a bit cumbersome - Process - Transpose - type in the + or - 12 semitones - OK.  So I now have a dedicated transpose up or down button that selects all those things for me with a single button press which is much quicker. 

image.png.a6e2aeb2c2f7082e1a178c38379cfc1c.png

3 hours ago, Michael Richards said:

Say you apply a specific delay for a guitar track and want to apply that very specific delay to a piano track. Repeat can do this.

Would it not be simpler to just  set the delay up on it's own bus and then you can send whichever instruments you want to share the same effect. ?

I think the basic idea has some merit but like most sugestions there are already ways to acheive the same result in many use cases. We also has the duplicate commmand ( Ctrl-D) to repeat copy/paste of audio and midi clips. I use that all the time but not everyone knows about it.    

Edited by Mark Morgon-Shaw

14 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

BTW Bounce render in place is already available in Cakewalk. 

Edit:

So is varispeed. Tape type Varispeed. Users just need to learn how to use it. I wont say its a hidden feature, more like one that is forgotten. I've been using it since i got my first copy of Cakewalk X1 LE. 

43 minutes ago, Nu Weapons Guy said:

Honestly, I did not expect that after years of silence, Bandlab seems to be returning with a beautiful bag in the form of two innovative products with their own interesting features. Very nice! 😁

Nice way of looking at it!

• Like 1

Here's a workflow issue I would like resolved. I'll be working on one track and then select a clip in a different track and go to ProChannel only to realize I never actually went to the new track. If I select the track on the track number it always does what it is supposed to do. I would like the ability to activate whichever track I am working on, even if I don't select it on the number.

• Like 4