Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:
4 hours ago, Misha said:

However, it shouldn't be hard to understand to why I repeatedly insist  that at least  versions sold under Gibson should be permanently unlocked for those who bought them. 

Isn't that why an unlocked / one-time only activation version of Home Studio was made available (so that people would continue to have access to their projects)? 

Not necessarily. There were a few features introduced at different points of time where it could make it impossible to open newly created projects in previous versions of Cakewalk or Sonar, aux tracks being one of them. Now I started wondering if projects that include some of the other new features, thinking about Articulations or Arranger here, could possibly render my recent projects unusable in Sonar Platinum or even earlier versions of CbB. In fact you just made me go try open all my projects, that matter to me, in Sonar Platinum and see how it goes :D probably will have to create a few quick projects for this test as well.

Another step to futureproof own works would be render to audio but it takes much space and I'm on a tight space here. Alternatively migrate projects to another DAW but while I believe I'm still capable in learning something new I can't be sure I don't already overestimate myself 😂 so I'll wait and see what will come, then decide.

• Like 2

Sorry if question is silly or was already answered.

To my understanding  vector graphics might mean better overall I/O performance right?  My biggest issue with DAW recording is "Stopped Engine" thing.  Sometimes when trying different things I overstuff  projects with heavy VSTs. I know that is my issue and I should freeze , bounce  etc.  But besides that,  one big contributor is NVIDIA graphics adapter. It is known for causing issues with audio recording under Windows.   I was wondering if new Sonar vector is mainly  for "looks" or it might actually lighten up the I/O load?  

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Chris, Cakewalk is a division of BandLab Technologies and a corporate decision was made to have us operate independently under our own brand.
We are now a multi-product company and have two products Sonar and Next with more to come in the future. Calling the product Cakewalk wouldn't make much sense. Cakewalk by Cakewalk? Lol

Also, there were numerous cases in the past where BandLab users were confused with the old branding and thought CbB was the BandLab web DAW (which they have now renamed to BandLab Studio). The new branding will alleviate issues like that.

That's very exciting Noel. Can't wait to see the new products! And, thank you for your infinite patience here on these forums. The 23 pages and counting of comments here is very reassuring for Sonar's future!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

All the DPI awareness work done was for the Sonar application. Cakewalk Next is already vector based.

Cakewalk Sonar is a hybrid DPI aware application. Plugin's need to be independently made DPI aware for them to be scalable. By default, Sonar assumes that plugins are DPI aware and if there are scaling problems noted it can be disabled on a per plugin basis. There is a new "Enhanced Display Scaling" option in the plugin properties settings to control this.
However only a few Cakewalk plugins are fully DPI aware - for example the prochannel modules. For the others you may have to disable the per plugin "Enhanced Display Scaling" for them to work. When Enhanced Display Scaling is off we rely on Windows to handle the scaling when running high dpi monitors.
In the future we may update some cakewalk plugins to also be DPI aware like we're doing with Sonar but it's not on the roadmap ATM.
IOW High DPI support is not available across the board for all plugins. It depends on the specific plugin.

With the new vector-based UI, does this mean vertical zoom could show more tracks without scrolling? I've always envied how Logic, PT, Cubase, Studio One and all the other major DAWs could vertical zoom so much you could literally see 100+ tracks without scrolling. This would really help with people who do film scoring where they're working with templates of 200+ tracks or more.

Edited by Craig Reeves
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jesse Jost said:

The main takeaway right now, as far as the community is concerned, is that this change just better substantiates our operational reality. The Cakewalk brand, though it is part of BLT, is 100% committed to desktop-domain software products with a roadmap minimally entangled with other non-Cakewalk product roadmaps. 

You're telling me Cake is now offered as dessert when I get a BLT? 😲 Or maybe I am just reading that wrong because I am hungry. 🤣

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Craig Reeves said:

With the new vector-based UI, does this mean vertical zoom could show more tracks without scrolling? I've always envied how Logic, PT, Cubase, Studio One and all the other major DAWs could vertical zoom so much you could literally see 100+ tracks without scrolling. This would really help with people who do film scoring where they're working with templates of 200+ tracks or more.

By the sound of it, it's currently just a global scaling level for the whole application. But independent zoom levels for some views would be a great feature for the future. 

EDIT: Mainly I'm thinking that I like my main / track view as it is, but would like to scale up my console view a bit. That kind of thing.

Edited by John T

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Isn't that why an unlocked / one-time only activation version of Home Studio was made available (so that people would continue to have access to their projects)? 

That is an interesting thought. I think it was shortly before Gibson dumped us Thayer was this free version of Home Studio available through a magazine . I remember grabbing it as well as posting the links in the old Forum.  I still have that file in my collection of Cakewalk files.  Now you got me thinking it might be as you say. 

This is all just a backup plan to if things go wrong with this new development. Like most here I will most likely anti up and pay for Sonar. As Jesse just said it’s way to early to get our shorts in a knot about it. 

I have that - I updated from Sonar 8.5 LE that  got with my Roland APro 800 keyboard. I was quite happy with that until CbB came along so could go back if needed and it still works with Win 11. 

I'd prefer to upgrade to the new Sonar but it will only be worth it for me if it is under £100  as I am a hobbyist and only use on occasion

3 hours ago, Misha said:

Sorry if question is silly or was already answered.

To my understanding  vector graphics might mean better overall I/O performance right?  My biggest issue with DAW recording is "Stopped Engine" thing.  Sometimes when trying different things I overstuff  projects with heavy VSTs. I know that is my issue and I should freeze , bounce  etc.  But besides that,  one big contributor is NVIDIA graphics adapter. It is known for causing issues with audio recording under Windows.   I was wondering if new Sonar vector is mainly  for "looks" or it might actually lighten up the I/O load?  

Thanks.

It is for looks and to a large degree 4k monitors where you might want to scale things up to see them.

- this is to my understanding anyway

Your problems, try a couple of things

- run LatencyMonitor and see if that is causing audio dropout and engine stop

- set priority in Nvidia panel to performance

- there is also a setting in Cakewalk/Sonar configuration how long dropout is accepted before dropping engine

- any wifi in windows is often culprit, set it to flight mode and disable when doing audio work

- my laptop turnes even off power to network card in flight mode to save energy