Introducing Cakewalk Next and our new brand identity

30 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Sonar is built from the identical codebase of CbB so no change there. What's new at least to start with is some new features and a massive revamp of the UI to make it DPI aware so it can run on higher resolution monitors without pixelation. Note that this doesn't change the UX in anyway other than new vector-based graphics and a crisper look. It will be supported and added to in the future unlike CbB which will not get all the latest developments that have gone in since the start of this year.

Good to know. I guess I better get on it and try the trial version. 

10 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Sal Sorice this is not intentional. It's likely due to some domain changes with the new website. I'll notify the back end team.
Can you access your products from your account page on the legacy website?

Yes Noel, I can. Will use that to download. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

So is the plan to eliminate new downloads of Cakewalk by BandLab once CS ships?

Not that my opinion matters, but I would like see CbB remain available as a way to check out some of the features in CS, as a fully-functioning demo.

This would be similar to Tracktion's practice with Waveform, making a previous version of Waveform available to use for free. You like it, the latest version is available for a fee.

I've been a cheerleader for Cakewalk, the amazing free DAW, among my friends who are just getting into recording and producing. "Just try it, it's free!" If there is no longer a free version, I will be in the position of just telling them to try the crippled or timed-out demos of the various DAW's to see which one they like. Or referring them to Waveform Free, which would be a shame as I find its workflow to be confusing.

It will be interesting to see if there is a huge rush of people snagging CbB as insurance for having the free version.

Also, as a revenue stream and presumably more resources, it would be great to see some marketing happen, especially in regard to getting cozy with control surface manufacturers.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

@Sal Sorice this is not intentional. It's likely due to some domain changes with the new website. I'll notify the back end team.
Can you access your products from your account page on the legacy website?

The legacy website works. It is just the command center which is out of service.

Noel, 

Thank you for your reply!

Subscription is definitely something I am not interested in. While I own many great software titles, none are subscription.  I like to own my software. Personal preference. And for that matter most of musicians I know will not touch "subscription" model. 

"For those afraid of the software deactivating, there are models that allow you to purchase an annual (non-expiring) license. "

Noel, pretty please, small clarification.

"Annual" means no expiry / no deactivation after one year,   just no further free updates after the year, right?

P.S. I do believe in supporting good software that I like very much, and I am certain team will come up with reasonable non-subscription competitive  pricing. Just subscription in not my thing. "Waves" surely proved very recently that subscription only is not what their customers wanted :)

• Like 3

I get the impression that where they are going is similar to how things worked at the tail end of Cakewalk where you choose from

a) Buy the software plus 12 months of updates (which Bitwig does now) and you keep software at last updated version covered under the plan.

b) A rent-to-own plan.

It seems to me the DAW market is competitive enough that nobody can get away with a pay-or-quit subscription model anyway.

Edited by Magic Russ
  • Like 1

Personally, I will not switch to any other DAW under any temptations, and not because I am a stupid fanatic, but because I came to Cakewalk (still the old Cakewalk Aduio 4) consciously in the process of trying different DAWs. I liked the versions of the X line, especially the latest releases, I liked the Platinum version the most, and when the brand was closed, I was not too upset, because I had in my hands the best DAV at that time! And now I'm absolutely not worried, because I have the current version of Cakewalk by Bandlab.

So, any one commercial or technical changes (except for deterioration), will change my admiration and pleasure to work with Cakewalk products! Thanks to all the people who took and take part in their development and bringing to perfection!

Edited by IgoRr
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

For those afraid of the software deactivating, there are models that allow you to purchase an annual (non-expiring) license. This is what we did in the SONAR days. An annual license is no different from buying the software outright.

Which means you can use it long after. It won't stop working once the year is up. You just won't get any updates. 

It will be just like it is now - older versions of Sonar can be installed and used without any outside interaction - as long as you have the serials & registration codes.

Just as they did with Sonar, people are confusing "subscriptions" with this.

• Like 2

The FAQ suggest a bit vaguely that the last (still to be relased) version of CbB will remain avalible. I would kindly ask the staff to clear few things here:
- won't this final version stay avalible forever and will not deactivate with no re activation avalible
- will the final version remain avalible to download from the cakewalk site or do we have to keep the installers?

6 minutes ago, sjoens said:

They may offer one, but Noel's quote above indicates there will be options.

Personally, the sort of "we are still discussing pricing/payment options" coupled with asking what bothers people about subscription plans then citing one "advantage" of them is a good indicator that they'll either offer subscription plans for both with a perpetual option, only Next will be subscription based or both will be subscription based with no perpetual license option. Until more information is released about the pricing, I'm expecting the worst, followed by an endless barrage of excuses at to why it was a good thing because there are a lot of advantages in subscription plans...For whoever offers them.

I hope I am dead wrong on everything I'm saying but the whole statement, followed by the current lack of transparency makes me think otherwise.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Like 3

Bruno, 

I agree, requirements are pretty steep for "average" machine.

A good and noble reason to maintain current CbB version available is... It is almost certain, many folks from less fortunate countries already adopted to it in the past several years, and since there are no compatibility issues with Win11, it should last for years "as is" with very minimal maintenance.  

P.S. Very curious if new versions will have classic "mercury" skin :)

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We're still hashing out the details of pricing/payment models. What bothers you most about subscription? It's essentially a pay as you go lease model and is beneficial for those who can't justify putting down a lumpsum of cash at one time...
For those afraid of the software deactivating, there are models that allow you to purchase an annual (non-expiring) license. This is what we did in the SONAR days. An annual license is no different from buying the software outright.

I won't rent a house either.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Next - Subscription based with all the stuff from SPlat. Or priced with the good old marketing strategy of diverting your attention away from that so you think you're actually saving money with the subscription.

I don't think so. I guess Next is a simple app to make music, with easy to use synths, libraries and good sound quality. So similar to BandLab app, that I still can't understand the meaning of its (upcoming) existance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

We're still hashing out the details of pricing/payment models. What bothers you most about subscription? 

I would be happy to pay a lump sum for the new version but have no interest in a subscription only model. The problem with subscriptions is that there comes a point where you just can't afford any more subscriptions! Or circumstances can change and you have to cut back on subscriptions. If it is the pay or loose access to your work model then you have a problem.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

Another concern I'm seeing is...your current system requirements for both are quite high even in comparison to heavy hitters like Ableton Live, Bitwig and FL Studio. Let's hope they're not actually 8-core and 16 GB of RAM minimum.

Suggested specs are the words I see used, not requirements