IK Renews Its Software Range - Featuring more affordable prices with more accessible upgrades (not a deal)

Walter Cruz

1 hour ago, User 905133 said:

Between yesterday and today I did some comparisons of a couple of the new pricing options.  My calculations overwhelmingly support @Bruno de Souza Lino 's assertion  over @John1984's assertion. 

Understood. For me, it may have been a couple of cases of "good timing" when it comes to what I paid. Poster child for YMMV.

Edited by John1984
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dubdisciple said:

I am not a fan of installation process

While the product manager is useful for keeping track of and managing your authorizations, the fact you have to be present to click on the installation buttons for each of the things you install defeats the purpose of it. Even Waves with its convoluted Waves Central thing only requires you to choose what you want to install and does the whole thing by itself.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, abacab said:

But here's the thing, that MODO Bass upgrade is the only thing here that I would really like to add. The rest would just be a big bundle of GAS for me! 🤣

This is important, too--even more important than calculated savings over listed prices (sale or non-sale).  My holdings are different than yours, but the concept is the same. I am mildly interested in the sound libraries I don't have.  Having gotten a collection of quality emulations at half the price of TS 4 MAX. my GAS is well under control.  😉 

As for the only IK instrument I don't have (Synthi), Cherry Audio's Elka-X (together with an optional $10 Sound Pack for 100 new presets) caused me to change my previous "I'll wait for TS 4 MAX" feelings.

14 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

While the product manager is useful for keeping track of and managing your authorizations, the fact you have to be present to click on the installation buttons for each of the things you install defeats the purpose of it. Even Waves with its convoluted Waves Central thing only requires you to choose what you want to install and does the whole thing by itself.

I'm mostly satisfied with the IK Product Manager app. I have a storage server (old Dell Vostro) with JBOD redundancy (great product called DrivePool) so I immediately download each new sample set (what they call "Sounds) to a designated folder. But...it's a little confusing when there are product updates. You have to know to go into Sounds and click the "Installed" drop down and choose Updates to see there are updates and run them. I wonder if people pay the fee to allow downloads again just to get updates to the sample sets (Sounds). 

EDIT - it looks like you need to pay $9.99 if it indicates there are updates but you're expired 😬

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Forcing a payment for downloading updates of products already purchased is a kind of disregard to the customer.

As I learned early last year, the products (and updates) are not affected by the 180-day download window.

But when I wanted to set up a new computer with my IK bundle, the download window for the sound libraries had expired. $9.99 - Jam points got me sorted. And this time, I made a backup copy. (And that was the first thing I did when I upgraded to 3.5 and began downloading that package.)

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/index.php?id=867

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, chris.r said:

Forcing a payment for downloading updates of products already purchased is a kind of disregard to the customer.

I seem to remember Peter saying the counter would be reset if there were updates.

1 hour ago, John1984 said:

As I learned early last year, the products (and updates) are not affected by the 180-day download window.

Good point, thanks. And what about Modo Drums 1.5 CS update from 1? It's supposed to come with new samples but there's nothing for download and my kits under Modo Drums 1 are already blo¢ked. It's not clear for me.

Edited by chris.r

1 minute ago, antler said:

I seem to remember Peter saying the counter would be reset if there were updates.

Right, except it didn't for me in case of Modo Drums 1.5 CS update from version 1. But maybe I'm missing something and it's not bringing any new samples? Idk

• Like 1

The time-limited download is just for sample libraries. The instrument and plugin downloads never expire!

• For example I registered MODO Drum on 8-09-2020. The software is still available, but the sounds library (samples for the cymbals) has expired.
  • In comparison, MODO Bass was registered here on the same day, and the download is still functional. No sounds library necessary. Same for Hammond B3X.

IK effects like T-RackS and Amplitube are still available for download as well.  :)

@abacab you're right, but with Modo Drums update to v 1.5 it was a bit unusual thing where the whole samples database got updated as well, first the whole sampleset was packed into 3 files (mododrumdata_000 to 002.pak), then after the update it's got changed into something like 10 smaller packs, plus the update supposedly brought a new kit in (where? I don't have it in any download tab unless it's in the installer). But my registered version 1 samples are already locked, did anyone notice that it will get unlocked after authorizing the 1.5 update? I didn't install the update yet.

Edited by chris.r

17 minutes ago, chris.r said:

@abacab you're right, but with Modo Drums update to v 1.5 it was a bit unusual thing where the whole samples database got updated as well, first the whole sampleset was packed into 3 files (mododrumdata_000 to 002.pak), then after the update it's got changed into something like 10 smaller packs, plus the update supposedly brought a new kit in (where? I don't have it in any download tab unless it's in the installer). But my registered version 1 samples are already locked, did anyone notice that it will get unlocked after authorizing the 1.5 update? I didn't install the update yet.

No idea, as I'm still on MODO Drum v1. ;)

• Haha 1

For newcomers to the issues being discussed here, some of those posts are slightly inaccurate but they could lead to significant misunderstandings.  

2 hours ago, John1984 said:

1 hour ago, abacab said:

The time-limited download is just for sample libraries. The instrument and plugin downloads never expire!

(1) Sample libraries (aka sound content) are products and are affected by the 180-day download as abacab noted 

(2) The last time I looked, the licenses are for thirty years.  Probably not a big deal if you are 55 ; might be significant if you are younger.  YMMV  😉 

Background: a couple of years ago I got caught up in one of IK's legendary group buys.  I read the rules, read the forum posts, asked questions, got answers, etc.  Nevertheless, I ended up wasting "promotions' (aka freebies) because there were still some nitty gritty details I didn't understand and made decisions that gave me things I already had.

IMPORTANT: Not blaming IK or forum members. Just highlighting some of the finer to  points in case others can benefit from the kinds of mistakes I made.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typos
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, User 905133 said:

(2) The last time I looked, the licenses are for thirty years. 

Just a note if you even think there's possibility that your song/project is going to be reworked or remixed in 30 or more years you probably should export stems as the likelyhood of your project opening in your 2053 DAW are remote. 

Edit: I wish I would have done that for a couple things I did with Project 5...

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 2

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Right, except it didn't for me in case of Modo Drums 1.5 CS update from version 1. But maybe I'm missing something and it's not bringing any new samples? Idk

Here's my personal take on it:

Things like fixing scripting bugs, or making sounds work with a free update to e.g. SampleTank would reset the timer.

MODO Drum was a special case. The update added three new kits (I think) and some code updates to the host plugin. It was a significant change such that they wanted to charge for it (e.g. how Cubase charges for x.5 updates); note how the version number jumped from 1.0 to 1.5. But it wasn't significant enough to call it MODO Drum 2. As the plugin update (1.5) wasn't free, the sounds also were not free. Either that, or there were no changes for the existing kits that came with MODO Drum 1.0.

That said, my relationship with IK is nothing more than being a customer and occasionally talking to Peter on this forum. For all I know, the above could be completely invalid.

4 minutes ago, antler said:

As the plugin update (1.5) wasn't free, the sounds also were not free.

The CS version was free update and had been automatically registered in my account. It brought, IIRC, one new kit that was free either. Again, it's not clear for me how should I update and not loose the existing kits so I'm still not updating.

Even though I said I am not a fan of installation process, it's not some deal breaker type of thing.  I have owned modo drums 1.5 for awhile and have not felt inclined to install. I am sure i am past the 180 days but don't really care. At some point i will use jampoints to download everything and store.

10 hours ago, chris.r said:

I don't believe the samples which compose MODO Drum (which are cymbal samples, since the drum sounds are synthesized) fall into that 180-day BS window thing, as you can't use MODO Drum without them.