EZkeys2 !!!!!

simon

I’ve agonized over the update deals on Studio One 5-6 and Izotope Whatever to Whatever Plus, both of which are pretty core for what I do. Really worth it? No hesitation here. New features look absolutely worth  the pre-order price.

• Like 1

New business model: Software includes core sound library

Waves is going to have me on edge with the phrase "new business model" for years.

From what I can tell it's not too bad here, basically means that we must get the grand piano? That is:

EZKeys 1: There were a couple dozen instruments, each of which had a full version or expansion. You must own at least one instrument as a full version to "own" EZKeys itself, but it can be any of them. You could, for example, buy the full version of EZKeys Pipe Organ, the Electric Grand expansion, and nothing else.

EZKeys 2: There is only one full "EZKeys 2" and it comes with a grand piano library. You can load other V1 instruments as expansions, and presumably V2 instruments if/when they make further expansions. Everyone will have the grand piano.

is that accurate? Seems less confusing, and on the upside any sales won't be split between full versions and expansions.

3 hours ago, antler said:

Sounds in the Superior range are essentially unprocessed. Adding EQ, compression, and other effects in line with the rest of the mix will give best results.

Yeah.
What I mean is they don't sound, let's say, neutral, for me it's like TT stamped certain sound all over their libraries.
Hihats usually are very bad, and they keep doing it the same way (read it on Vi Control if you'd like).
I have 3  or 4 SDX, including Hansa Rooms, and of the life of me I don't like them at all.

All their Rooms sound the same too, all their cymbals sound the same, with another name.

And they sound to me  also old, very old. And lifeless.
Worst part is that the other existant drum libraries are worse, sad face.
I' m testing BFD3 but I don't know... at least they sound to me more like a drum kit.

Not trying to deter anyone from buying from them. 

I just don't get it.

The piano sounds very meh, the snake guy youtube guy has this video where he tests a 20 bucks mike vs a 3000 bucks one,  and among other things, he records a piano, now that one sounded like heaven.

There is another video, forgot the name, of a very famous piano player (oriental female) where a very good USA recording guy brings a zillion mikes and achieves also a very very good sound.

Here it just sounds as it if was just baked around the corner.

4 hours ago, simon said:

I very respectfully totally disagree ?  I have all the SD2 and SD3 expansions and about 50% of the EZD2/3 - there is a massive difference in the sound character between all the packs.

A simple rule is the newer the release the better the sound - although I still love that 70s dry sound of the original SD2 custom and vintage pack.

To give context I also have BFD3 - AD1/2 - All the NI Kontakt ones etcetera and in my opinion nothing come close to SD3 - in both sound and usability.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong as it's clearly all a matter of opinion (although you are wrong :) - but I'm a TT fanboy so take that into account)

Yeah, I totally get some people love them. 

I don't.

I have AD2 too, and tested some Kontakt ones.

And I agree SD3 is better, but still, I don't love it.

I wanna, but I can't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Last Call said:

What I mean is they don't sound, let's say, neutral, for me it's like TT stamped certain sound all over their libraries.
Hihats usually are very bad, and they keep doing it the same way (read it on Vi Control if you'd like).
I have 3  or 4 SDX, including Hansa Rooms, and of the life of me I don't like them at all.

Fair enough - we should all use what we're happiest with using. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. It's music, and there is no right or wrong answer.

5 minutes ago, Last Call said:

The piano sounds very meh, the snake guy youtube guy has this video where he tests a 20 bucks mike vs a 3000 bucks one,  and among other things, he records a piano, now that one sounded like heaven.

For me, EZKeys was never about the piano sound. It was about the MIDI engine/inspiration: I'd end up piping it to Pianoteq.

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 2

28 minutes ago, Last Call said:

There is another video, forgot the name, of a very famous piano player (oriental female) where a very good USA recording guy brings a zillion mikes and achieves also a very very good sound.

FYI - "oriental" is used to describe carpets, etc.  "Asian" is used to describe people 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, antler said:

Fair enough - we should all use what we're happiest with using. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. It's music, and there is no right or wrong answer.

For me, EZKeys was never about the piano sound. It was about the MIDI engine/inspiration: I'd end up piping it to Pianoteq.

Thank god this forum exists where I can express myself and people disagreeing (or not) with me in a mature way.

Cheers guys. ✌

Edited by Last Call
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It seems to me that they have ported a lot of the tech from EZBass into EZKeys--which is terrific. 

As I'm a decent a piano player, I don't use EZKeys much.  The investment in all those MIDI paks doesn't make sense for me.  But this new version, and the way it integrates with EZBass,  interests me a lot.  I'll probably jump for the upgrade.

• Like 2

Got mine pre-ordered.  I just hope they do this like they did EZ Drummer 3 last year where we got to keep EZD 2 along with EZD 3.  There was so much new in 3 that it took me a while to learn all of the new stuff while trying to learn how the old stuff worked in the new program.  🤪

😀John B

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Got mine pre-ordered.  I just hope they do this like they did EZ Drummer 3 last year where we got to keep EZD 2 along with EZD 3. 

yes, somewhere on the website it says you get to keep the EZKeys V1 installation - so old project etc work just fine

• Thanks 2