WUP is back

Bapu

6 hours ago, Bapu said:

When I decided to add another year of WUP before the 26th I checked Waves price. I'm 99.99% sure it said $250. 

All my stuff was already WUP'd thru 25 Jan 2024. Proud to say I never foolishly bought Waves duplicates. Can't say that about PA though. 🙂 

I went to two resellers (while I still could) and got a price of $225 and $223. I took the $223 price.

$240 was the max if not adding stuff still under a WUP.

2 hours ago, lawajava said:

$240 was the max if not adding stuff still under a WUP.

So are you implying that if I indeed did see $250 I was being quoted $10 more than the cap because I was already under WUP for everything I owned? 

I must admit I thought I saw $250, but as of today being under WUP until 25 Jan 2025; my price to add one more year of WUP for all I own (Abbey Road, Mecury+Studio Classics, Infected Mushroom, Inspire, CR8 and NX) is $240.

Maybe $25 was the old way if under WUP and $240 is the new max even if you are under WUP. I dunno.

Edited by Bapu

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

I must admit I thought I saw $250, but as of today being under WUP until 25 Jan 2025; my price to add one more year of WUP for all I own (Abbey Road, Mecury+Studio Classics, Infected Mushroom, Inspire, CR8 and NX) is $240.

Maybe $25 was the old way if under WUP and $240 is the new max even if you are under WUP. I dunno.

probably not worth worrying about the extra $10 but yes - you either wupped something that was already wupped or you added multiple versions of the same plugin.

It's definitely capped at $240  if you follow the waves 'rules' and always was - but they make as difficult as possible so they can get more money from you. :D

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:22 PM, Brian Walton said:

OR....you can simply never WUP as it is a scam no matter how you look at it.

There are 7 plugins that have been added to my bundles and I don't have yet, it's getting close to the point where the $240 will be worth it for me just for the new plugins I'll be getting. It's not that different from e.g., Arturia charging for an upgrade to V collection.

1 hour ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

There are 7 plugins that have been added to my bundles and I don't have yet, it's getting close to the point where the $240 will be worth it for me just for the new plugins I'll be getting. It's not that different from e.g., Arturia charging for an upgrade to V collection.

I shan't comment here on the Arturia comparison apart from to say it's apples/oranges (ie totally different :) )

Personally, I'd suggest you wait a little while before you WUP until the perpetual licences go back on sale.  It's often much cheaper to upgrade your bundle to the next one up, you should get your 7 plugins, plus extra ones from the 'enhanced' bundle - plus you get WUP on that bundle for the year.  Win - Win

Even cheaper if you get from a 3rd party such as everyplugin - but who knows if they'll reinstate all that and obviously we don't know how the upgrade pricing is going to look until Waves get it all back online.

it's possible to make WUP work for you if you're careful  (of course it's just my 2p :))

4 hours ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

$34 per plugin is more than retail and this assumes each and every plugin added is one you would have bought.  

I personally just don't see it as a value proposition.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, simon said:

it's possible to make WUP work for you if you're careful  (of course it's just my 2p :))

This was certainly true before this mess and I hope it remains true. As others have mentioned, oftentimes buying a new plugin (or set of plugins) made more sense than WUP.

In my most recent case, WUP for my Horizons bundle was $187. But in my upgrades offers, I had an opportunity to upgrade to add the Restoration bundle to my primary bundle for only $86. So I essentially got the WUP for a $101 discount and the Restoration bundle for free. 

All of these weird upgrade paths have unintended consequences (a lot like the current Cinesamples frenzy.)

• Like 1

Especially when sales prices for similar plugins from Plugin Alliance, Softube, Eventide, Sonnible, SSL, AudioThings, XLN Audio, Wavesfactory and other very fine developers are either similar or not much higher than Waves sale prices, I don't find Waves very tempting. Frankly, after Waves recent move to going subscription-only overnight, they're just not a developer that I would put in my consideration set unless they have something that is absolutely unique. I'd rather reward developers that have shown to be ethical and customer loyal. I have zero trust in Waves and I think it would be unwise for anyone to trust that company. 

(As always, this is just one person's opinion. We should be able to disagree and still be civil. I just wanted to express that I don't have a good deal of trust or respect for the way Waves runs its business. Of course, a bunch of influencers are likely to soon be shilling for them, defending their actions. I'm merely a regular customer and observer of their practices and I don't find them in the realm of what I'd call customer-centric practices.)

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Even with what I wrote above, there is one Waves plugin that I was interested in -- Waves Harmony. I would love to hear from anyone who owns it and what they think and what they find are alternatives worth checking into. For $29 USD, even with my feelings about Waves -- it is very tempting to pick it up. 

42 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Even with what I wrote above, there is one Waves plugin that I was interested in -- Waves Harmony. I would love to hear from anyone who owns it and what they think and what they find are alternatives worth checking into. For $29 USD, even with my feelings about Waves -- it is very tempting to pick it up. 

I haven't used it Peter but there are a few of them out there. The first two that come to mind are Izotope's Nectar3 harmony Module and Melda's MHarmonizer.  I'm sure you could do the same with Melodyne too, but I have tried.

--- edit ---

Also Eventide's Octa/Quadra Vox plugins...

Edited by mibby
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mibby said:

I haven't used it Peter but there are a few of them out there. The first two that come to mind are Izotope's Nectar3 harmony Module and Melda's MHarmonizer.  I'm sure you could do the same with Melodyne too, but I have tried.

--- edit ---

They gave the eventide away for free a while back too, so someone might have it and not even realize it.  If they allow transfers via ilok that also might open the door for someone willing to part with it for a nice discount below retail.

1 hour ago, mibby said:

--- edit ---

I have all of those but MHarmonizer.  I just thought the Waves one appeared to offer something slightly different. I never got anything usable out of the Eventide one. I'd be willing to trade that one for something I would actually use if anyone wants it.  

Edited by PavlovsCat

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

They gave the eventide away for free a while back too, so someone might have it and not even realize it.  If they allow transfers via ilok that also might open the door for someone willing to part with it for a nice discount below retail.

The free stuff I have from them are all NFR; I have Quadravox and the full H9 Bundle.
If you look in the ilok app it will confirm the status.
I enjoyed Quadravox when I installed it and plan to use it more.

I also have MHarmonizerMB as part of a bundle and don't recall ever using it. That's the problem I find when buying large bundles; there are 36 plugins in MCreativeFXBundle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

They way they are running their business, Waves and Harmony doesn’t sound natural in the same sentence.

• Haha 1