🔥 How Many Plugins Do You Presently Have Installed on Your Computer?

PavlovsCat

How many total plugins (effects and instruments) do you presently have installed?   

93 members have voted

1. 1. How many total plugins (effects and instruments) do you presently have installed?

• I have less than 100 plugins installed
    • I have 100 - 199 plugins installed
    • I have 200 - 299 plugins installed
    • I have 300 - 399 plugins installed
    • I have 400 - 499 plugins installed
    • I have 500 - 699 plugins installed
    • I have 700 - 999 plugins installed
    • I have more than 1,000 plugins installed

4 hours ago, mettelus said:

Many force you to install VST2 and VST3 versions as well, so I have "dupes" from that. A funnier topic would be "What plugins do you own that you never friggin use?"... that one would drive a large spike in the GAS bubble.

When I switched to my new PC, I made shure not to install doubles, or when not given the option, just delete the VST2. There are some dumb installers which re-install the VST2 when updating though, looking at you Softube and Native Instruments. Also I made a tiny bit of a conscious of not installing every plugin I had on my old system, partly on the basis of 'do I ever use this?' but also on the 'I paid for it and I damn well will use it!' principle.

Although technically my answer to this question was "I have more than 1,000 plugins installed" the more meaningful answer is "Just the right number, except for a few that I have my eye on, and some others that I'd buy if they go on sale..." 

• Like 1

I have over 1800.

It has gotten to be a mess.

***I wish the bakers would do some more work on listing synths and effects.***

I really can't remember sometimes what manufacturer created the synth/effect  I am trying to find.

I have a separate excel file to help me find them.

I want to be able to make some synths/effects sticky at the top like maybe ten.

How about a search bar to find anything?

I am using the add synth button; I realize the explorer like view may be easier to use.

I have made custom sets of my favorites; but this becomes a maintenance game trying to keep them current.

I work a lot with past projects and retooling/working them which makes me reluctant to remove odd old ones.

A usage meter of which plugins/effects are being using globally in my projects would help to whittle down the list.

This has been a wish for so many years and versions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Studio One and ProTools do that. It's really helpful.

Ableton as well. I can also categorize them in custom subgroups (as a quick filter of the entire list). Mine are Mastering & Favorites, Synths & drummachines, EQ & channel strip, Dynamics (compressors, limiters, etc), Saturation & distortion, Reverb & delay, Creative FX & utility. Makes life so much easier.

I'm a little unsure as to the *actual* number of plugins installed but . . . "Too many" probably covers it. The real issue I have is there are plugins installed and selectable that I no longer even know what they are or do. I've actually been trying to look up each one and mark as "needed" or "not needed" as I prepare to setup a new recording PC. One thing I'm trying to do is clean up all the no longer working "demo" or "trial" tidbits I've installed and never followed through with. Wish there was a way to print a list of installed plugins . . .

I have used the addon "MenuMagic" and it almost helps;

But it too requires maintenance and tries to do too much and I get lost and worried.

You have to watch at startup to see the total of what the initial scan finds; when in the thousands it takes a while and l is easy to miss the total.

The plugin manager is useful to finding what manufacturing makes synthXYZ.

Edited by jim137